Colorado or Triton

gui7ars

I'm about to buy my first GPSs. I've been doing research now for about two months reading most of what I can get my hands on from here and other sites. I'm convinced that I want a newer unit like the Colorado or the Triton as I believe the much improved screen resolutions unique to these two devices will be a big benefit over other units on the market.

I've read all of the Magellan customer service horror stories as well as all of the problems with theTriton launch. However, I'm also intrigued by the much lower price of the Triton units and the NatGeo topo maps.

However, I have a few specific Colorado questions for which I'm looking for help. I've read most of the Colorado threads and haven't seen these specific questions answered. My apologies if these questions have already been covered.

1) What is the scale of the Garmin Topo 2008 product (1:100K or 1:24K)? I'm pretty sure it's 1:100K but I wanted to confirm.

2) Is the only Garmin topo product at 1:24k scale the national parks East, Central, and West?

3) What other options are available to place 1:24k scale topo maps on the Colorado? Can the NatGeo 1:24k maps be saved to the Colorado?

4) What is the scale of the basemaps included with the Colorado 400t? Again, I'm pretty sure they're 1:100k at best but wanted to confirm.

5) Is the electronic compass in the Colorado a two or three axis? I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed it's only a two axis. If this is indeed correct, how much of an advantage is a three axis (like available on the Triton 500) compared to the two axis on the Colorado?

Thanks for reading and for any replies.

Randy

Edited by gui7ars

Hold your breath... Wait... Wait for it... Neither!

The ColoradoI received a few days ago in the mail has serious issues as well as the Triton. The company policy of releasing products before they are even half way ready has to stop. I spent 500 hard earned dollars on the Colorado and am very dissapointed. Just wait it out or buy a Garmin 60CSX, I had one and should have never sold it for the Colorado (deep regret). The 60CSX worked flawlessly for nearly two years. Never a gripe or complaint.

I'm about to buy my first GPSs. I've been doing research now for about two months reading most of what I can get my hands on from here and other sites. I'm convinced that I want a newer unit like the Colorado or the Triton as I believe the much improved screen resolutions unique to these two devices will be a big benefit over other units on the market.

I've read all of the Magellan customer service horror stories as well as all of the problems with theTriton launch. However, I'm also intrigued by the much lower price of the Triton units and the NatGeo topo maps.

However, I have a few specific Colorado questions for which I'm looking for help. I've read most of the Colorado threads and haven't seen these specific questions answered. My apologies if these questions have already been covered.

1) What is the scale of the Garmin Topo 2008 product (1:100K or 1:24K)? I'm pretty sure it's 1:100K but I wanted to confirm.

2) Is the only Garmin topo product at 1:24k scale the national parks East, Central, and West?

3) What other options are available to place 1:24k scale topo maps on the Colorado? Can the NatGeo 1:24k maps be saved to the Colorado?

4) What is the scale of the basemaps included with the Colorado 400t? Again, I'm pretty sure they're 1:100k at best but wanted to confirm.

5) Is the electronic compass in the Colorado a two or three axis? I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed it's only a two axis. If this is indeed correct, how much of an advantage is a three axis (like available on the Triton 500) compared to the two axis on the Colorado?

Thanks for reading and for any replies.

Randy

1) 1:100K

2) Yes.

3) Customize your own maps with something like Mapwel and TopoFusion.

4) 1:100K

5) 2 axis. I have found 2-axis to be too much of a hassle to be accurate. Rather use the GPS compass, or standard compass.

You might want to consider Delorme PN-20.

I personally want 1:24K maps, so the choices are the Triton or PN-20. I wanted the bigger screen and reputation of the Colorado 400T though, but can't live without 1:24K maps. Between the Triton and PN-20 will probably come down to the software (National Geographic Topo vs. Delorme Topo). But the problem I have with Delorme and others, is that I refuse to pay for maps that I can download for free from the Internet. That's why the Colorado and option #3 sound appealing, even though I dislike spending the large money for the Garmin, and still have to do so much of the work myself. Also, I wanted a larger and better screen, and the PN-20 comes in last.

Considering the prices, the problems, lack of features, and the laziness of most manufacturers to design a complete product, I'll most likely continue to use my Garmin 48, paper maps, and marked waypoints with GPS coordinates. It has worked extremely well for me so far.

I'll continue to hope that future versions will be more complete, and not rip me off for free Internet map downloads. As a matter of principle I cannot pay these manufactures for their ineptitude. Perhaps a strong opinion, but I'm deeply disappointed in the manufacturers and the pricing of the new units. For the price, I think I should get a lot more.

Jake

Jake, in making your decision I wanted to make sure you knew that Delorme makes their XMap Pro package available to PN-20 owners at a steeply discounted price (I think its $99). It's a professional-grade map program that overlaps enough with Topo7 that it largely supplants it for PN-20 users (as I understand it...T7 satisfies my needs ok so I don't have it).

The chief advantage of XMap for PN-20 users is that it allows the import of scanned maps and export to the PN-20. So a number of people are using it to load the free or specialized imagery they have into their GPS. Here is a recent thread on the Delorme boards with a little more information.

Although it's additional $, that's functionality I don't think I'm likely to use. So I'm just as glad that they make it available, but don't bundle it with their other packages.

Edited by embra

Jake, in making your decision I wanted to make sure you knew that Delorme makes their XMap Pro package available to PN-20 owners at a steeply discounted price (I think its $99). It's a professional-grade map program that overlaps enough with Topo7 that it largely supplants it for PN-20 users (as I understand it...T7 satisfies my needs ok so I don't have it).

The chief advantage of XMap for PN-20 users is that it allows the import of scanned maps and export to the PN-20. So a number of people are using it to load the free or specialized imagery they have into their GPS. Here is a recent thread on the Delorme boards with a little more information.

Although it's additional $, that's functionality I don't think I'm likely to use. So I'm just as glad that they make it available, but don't bundle it with their other packages.

You can also use it to edit roads. So if you have a new road in your neighbor or something, you can add it. You can add trails and such too. It's a pretty cool piece of software. If you want to look any further into it, you can read the user manual online at Delorme at this link XMaps manual

Edited by elmuyloco5

You can also use it to edit roads. So if you have a new road in your neighbor or something, you can add it. You can add trails and such too. It's a pretty cool piece of software. If you want to look any further into it, you can read the user manual online at Delorme at this link XMaps manual

Well, the ability to add roads and tracks--and even make them routable--is in T7, too, so one wouldn't need XMap to do that. I have to admit that I've had T6 and now T7 for about a year total, and I still only feel like I know a portion of it's capabilities.

So we don't hijack this too far, I wanted to say something about the OP's question. I think the advice above is good. It's fun in a way to be an early adapter, but it's got a lot of headaches, too. I'm pessimistic about Magellan sorting out their problems with the Triton (I had a Meridian and an Explorist prior to my current PN-20). I'm optimistic that Garmin will eventually get things right with the Colorado. But as a first (and only) GPS, they both will likely have a bunch of frustration in the package. That frustration can be relieved with a backup GPS, but lacking that it's a bigger gamble.

If good quality maps are at the top of criteria, then the PN-20 definetely merits consideration. They had their start-up problems, too...I think that's par for the course. But it's been out about a year now, and most of those problems have been sorted out. The power of the GPS and map program bring complexity, so it's apt to be a little more challenging for someone to begin with this package. But there is a lot of company and user support there to get up the learning curve.

Well, the ability to add roads and tracks--and even make them routable--is in T7, too, so one wouldn't need XMap to do that. I have to admit that I've had T6 and now T7 for about a year total, and I still only feel like I know a portion of it's capabilities.

Didn't know that.....haven't gotten it yet, but noticed that in description of XMaps. Pretty cool either way.

To address the OP: We have been extremely pleased with our Magellan Meridian Platinum. However, we went through two separate Triton 500 units, both of which had so many problems that they were literally unusable. Before you consider purchasing one, I would suggest you check out the Triton Forums online as they are literally ripping the units apart on there. The forum wasn't formed as a complaint forum either. :yikes:

You can get a good grasp on the Colorado situation on this forum. It definitely has some issues that need to be fixed by future firmware updates. But, it also has a few limitations that cannot be fixed with software that pertain to uses that it was advertised to be able to perform.

I would suggest you do alot of research prior to purchasing and then buy somewhere with a good return policy (avoid Swiftmaps for the Triton *see my post about them on here....they're causing lots of problems to pretty much everyone who purchased one*).

Another option might be to look at the Magellan Explorist. Costco has the 500 on sale for $119. It would certainly be a much lower cost way to introduce yourself to GPS and geocacheing. Then when Magellan and Garmin get the bugs worked out of the Triton and Colorado you can upgrade and not feel too bad about spending $100 on the Explorist.

Edited by cowboyshootist

Jake, in making your decision I wanted to make sure you knew that Delorme makes their XMap Pro package available to PN-20 owners at a steeply discounted price (I think its $99).

Thanks for the input about XMap. Sounds like something that I would like.

Delorme has the 30-day return policy.

I wish the screen of the PN-20 was bigger and had a higher resolution. It may be something I can live with. Perhaps the screen size/resolution isn't that big of a deal (when compared to the Colorado or Triton). When looking at a map, it is extremely useful to have as much context about the surrounding area as possible.

Device....................Resolution.....Screen Size

Garmin Colorado....240x400........3.0 Diag

Magellan 500.........240x320........2.2 Diag

Magellan 1500.......240x320........2.7 Diag

Delorme.................176x220........2.2 Diag

I have very high expectations for something that cost $400-600. Very difficult to compromise with those kind of prices. Plus, I already have my investment with a cheap GPS, Delorme Topo 5, Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro, and TopoFusion for maps. Plus all the free online resources.

Jake

To add a little: About the screen – go look at the different ones someplace where you can compare side by side. I was surprised when I did. There is more to it than size and resolution.

For example, I was at REI looking at the 60CSx, Colorado, and PN-20. The screen on the PN-20 is shorter than the 60CSx. The screen on the PN-20 is clear and the colors are bright, making it easy to see.

The colors on the 60CSx are very dull / faded in comparison to the PN-20. The location pointer, highways and your track are easy to see on the 60CSx. However, it can be hard to distinguish between contour lines, trails and minor roads.

The Colorado has a great looking screen…when you have the backlight on full. At less than about ¾ backlight level it was hard to see what was on the screen. And others have reported very short battery life with the backlight on full.

They did not have any Tritons on display. But a few days ago, when I was there, I noticed a box full sitting on the floor. Ready to go on display, or going back? I don’t know.

Perry

To add a little: About the screen – go look at the different ones someplace where you can compare side by side. I was surprised when I did. There is more to it than size and resolution.

For example, I was at REI looking at the 60CSx, Colorado, and PN-20. The screen on the PN-20 is shorter than the 60CSx. The screen on the PN-20 is clear and the colors are bright, making it easy to see.

The colors on the 60CSx are very dull / faded in comparison to the PN-20. The location pointer, highways and your track are easy to see on the 60CSx. However, it can be hard to distinguish between contour lines, trails and minor roads.

The Colorado has a great looking screen…when you have the backlight on full. At less than about ¾ backlight level it was hard to see what was on the screen. And others have reported very short battery life with the backlight on full.

They did not have any Tritons on display. But a few days ago, when I was there, I noticed a box full sitting on the floor. Ready to go on display, or going back? I don’t know.

Perry

Very interesting you say this. I was just looking on REI's site for pricing on the other Tritons since I'm going to return mine, perhaps get the next model up. I looked and searched and they are no longer available on their site! This is not a good sign.

People have to realize.........companies put most products on the shelf like this because *THEY ARE HARDWARE READY*

just because the software is not up to par, does not mean they are pieces of crap or should be thrown out......IT JUST MEANS YOU NAGGED TOO MUCH

******the software can be fixed****

it just takes a bit of time, and 98% of people wont be dissapointed when the fix comes about........the other 2% of you can go to HECKAMODORPH

Edited by gratefulHIKE

Just got off the line with REI support. They have pulled all the Magellan Triton line up from their shelves and their site until Magellan upgrades the software and makes them stable products. They are all being shipped back to the REI warehouse where Magellan is suppose to come out and update everything with new software.

Hopefully this move by REI has helped to light a fire under Magellan a** to put in a little overtime in the software programming department.

Just got off the line with REI support. They have pulled all the Magellan Triton line up from their shelves and their site until Magellan upgrades the software and makes them stable products. They are all being shipped back to the REI warehouse where Magellan is suppose to come out and update everything with new software.

Hopefully this move by REI has helped to light a fire under Magellan a** to put in a little overtime in the software programming department.

I noticed yesterday that the Tritons were gone from the REI website. After seeing the quoted message, I called REI too and was told there were issues with the units and that Magellan recalled them. But Amazon still has them so it looks like this was at REI's behest. With their guarantee, they can't afford to sell units like this!

it just takes a bit of time

How much time did it take Magellan to release firmware updates for the eXplorist series?

Magellan is very odd in the way they release updates for their units. It seems that they are very slow to respond to issues with updates, and then when an update comes they are not forthcoming in what was fixed in the release. Sometimes it's even difficult to figure out if the currently available update is later than your current unit's firmware. It's like they just want to keep their users in the dark. And this from a formerly loyal Magellan user (5 years of exclusive Magellan GPSrs, Meri Plat, Sportrak Pro, Sportrak Color, eXp 600). I bought a Triton 2000, but can't find the box for it (I think it may have gotten recycled). Now I need to find out if the box is required for me to return it to REI.

--Marky

People have to realize.........companies put most products on the shelf like this because *THEY ARE HARDWARE READY*

That's why I'm waiting a bit longer. Garmin appears to have the best hardware. Besides for software fixes, I hope they add software to be comparable to Delorme Topo or National Geographic Topo.

Jake

I am also considering the Colorado vs Triton. I have owned an Explorist 600 since they came out. I have been very happy with it EXCEPT :D for the cable that connects it to a computer and recharges it. That has been HORRIBLE and is the main reason I am looking to upgrade. I hear that the Triton has a similar style cable while the Colorado is standard USB which could sway me to the Colorado. The issue now is the Colorado price and the software investment that I have already made in the Explorist (topo maps, US & Europe Routing maps). It would looks like a more expensive upgrade that I can afford. After reading the coments on the Delorme It looks as if I should give it a good look.

Colorado VS Triton

I think the verdict is still out on both units. There has been some squirrelly stuff going on with the Colorado like a reduction in storage memory of the 400t and a chipset change in the 300. Funky hardware changes that look like errors of some kind. Just wait 6 months and when the fog lifts on these units you will then finally be able to make a real distinction. Who knows, the Triton may just win the fight after all.

I am also considering the Colorado vs Triton. I have owned an Explorist 600 since they came out. I have been very happy with it EXCEPT :D for the cable that connects it to a computer and recharges it. That has been HORRIBLE and is the main reason I am looking to upgrade.

There is an excellent work around for this eXplorist issue. Buy a swivel mount, attach the cable to the swivel mount, then you just plop the GPS into the mount and you're connected. No silly screwing and unscrewing.

I don't know a thing about the Colorado but DO NOT BUY A TRITON! I spent the $500 dollars and now I am stuck with a gpsr that can't even take me to the nearest geocache. All customizable screens revert back to factory settings when you flip through the nav pages. It crashes OFTEN! It is not very user friendly. The screens sort of freeze and it takes a long time to go from screen to screen and to upload geocaches. The base map is MINIMAL. And on and on. And to add insult to injury, Magellan customer support is worthless! All of their operators have heavy accents and are difficult to understand. (However, they have all been very polite). If you want a shiny new gps to put on your dresser and admire, then the Triton is for you. If you actually want to go geocaching buy an older and MUCH cheaper model off of ebay. The meridian series works great and I've heard good things about the explorist line.

Good luck!