Homemade coins

obxWaMi

I started a jewelry class today and our first assignment is a texture on metal assignment. We are to make a set of 5 "buttons", roughtly the size of 50cent pieces. I will be cutting them out of 22 gauge copper sheet . Each one is to be different, but they have to be related in some way. I was thinking about designing them with fire, water, earth, and air. (I haven't decided about the 5th one yet.)

My question is this... Regardless of the designs, if I'm happy with my results can I make them trackable? I can use metal stamps to imprint them with my name, a number, or some other identifying marks.

The fifth element could also be the sun. It travels through air, water, and penetrates/warms the earth and has properties similar to fire.

Keep in mind, you can make the coins trackable for your own purposes too. I found a coin that essentially had a 3 digit code on it and an attached card that said to e-mail the owner if found. It was a cool looking ceramic type coin. Of course, I got no cool icon for moving it and the gc.com site won't be able to calculate mileage without an officially gc.com registered tracking number. However, the coin's owner knew I had it, where I found it and knew that I left it at an event (after I emailed him that info). :D Just a thought. ;)

There's also the topic of "proxy" coins. I've discovered a few of them too. That's where the tracking # of the coin has been transferred to another coin or fascimile and allowed to travel while the original coin resides elsewhere (likely the owner's coin collection). This is not always welcomed by the geo-community however. When I have discovered or moved proxies, I still have gotten the icon for my effort. ;) FWIW, the coins that I have done this for I still have not seen an original so seeing a copy/proxy was still pretty cool to me... Others feel cheated when they don't find an original coin and I've read forum opinions that state they will not move or discover these types of coins. I haven't checked, but I would think this may not technically even be allowed per TPTB as the coin design has not been approved by TPTB. Do you know, Eartha?

The "add a TB tag" suggested earlier is probably your best bet, IMHO.

Good luck with whatever you decide for your 5 coins.

BTW, I would like to know what you decide for the fifth design, for curiosity sake.

Unfortunately making items individually trackable takes quite an investment. I learned it the hard way but finally bit the bullet on it.

It is fortunate for them as well though, it keeps the originality up I believe. Anyone can buy a travel bug, but to have a true personal geocoin takes serious devotion, especially the few hand crafted ones.