What order for placing a new cache

ReZappers

Gotten really into geocaching and we would like to place our own caches. So many topics, don't know if this was already covered, scanned a bunch of them already and didn't see it.

What order do people do the steps to place a new cache?

a. Do you carry pre-made caches around with you and if you happen upon a good spot, place it, then get the coords and create a listing when you get home? Many times we're out hiking or geocaching and say "that would be a great place for a cache". Have considered just taking a couple of ready-to-go cache containers with me in case the perfect spot presents itself. But don't want to have to go back and label everything.

b. Or do you think of a good place to put one, and create an unpublished listing at home so you have a waypoint name and then you can label your cache container & log with the name & waypoint you've chosen at the time you place it? Then go and actually place the cache - ready to go and labeled with waypoint and descriptive name? Then adjust the coordinates and publish it?

c. Or do you find a place, go back to it with a cache suitable for the location, then create a listing, then go back to it and label it with the waypoint name? Unless it was really nearby and easy to get to, this seems pretty inefficient.

I'm sure there are many variations, just curious what seems to be the most efficient way you've found to do this.

Gotten really into geocaching and we would like to place our own caches. So many topics, don't know if this was already covered, scanned a bunch of them already and didn't see it.

What order do people do the steps to place a new cache?

a. Do you carry pre-made caches around with you and if you happen upon a good spot, place it, then get the coords and create a listing when you get home? Many times we're out hiking or geocaching and say "that would be a great place for a cache". Have considered just taking a couple of ready-to-go cache containers with me in case the perfect spot presents itself. But don't want to have to go back and label everything.

b. Or do you think of a good place to put one, and create an unpublished listing at home so you have a waypoint name and then you can label your cache container & log with the name & waypoint you've chosen at the time you place it? Then go and actually place the cache - ready to go and labeled with waypoint and descriptive name? Then adjust the coordinates and publish it?

c. Or do you find a place, go back to it with a cache suitable for the location, then create a listing, then go back to it and label it with the waypoint name? Unless it was really nearby and easy to get to, this seems pretty inefficient.

I'm sure there are many variations, just curious what seems to be the most efficient way you've found to do this.

One thing you have to remember is there is a 0.1 mile limit between caches and that's "as the crow flies"! I made a mistake of not checking for nearby caches ahead of time and had to replace the cache at another location (not necessarily a better one). Otherwise, I think what I've done (I've only place 5) is that I find the location first, then I think about what I what to put there and then I get the coordinates to make sure I'm clear.

All of the above.

I have spent weeks researching places to put a themed cache and then scouted the area a few times before returning and placing a cache.

I have placed "spur-of-the-moment" caches that I had in my pack or in the back of the Jeep.

I have found a great place for a cache and then returned home to get just the right container and camo before placing.

Sometimes we go out and drive/hike/walk around looking for good spots - that results in any of the 3 already listed.

2 suggestions - First, consider what the area will be like in all 4 seasons, what looks good in the lush green of summer can be very exposed and open in the dead of winter. Second, make certain you have fully read and understand the guidelines. Then go read them again.

Actually do #2 first.......

As they said above, you cant be sure when youre out there if there is already a cache within .1 miles. So what I do is, if I see a cool spot, I mark it, go home and check for nearby caches, than get the container ready and place it. Once thats all done I post it on the website and get it approved.

Do most people feel it's important to put the waypoint and cache name somewhere on the cache container or the logbook? If you create the listing ahead of placing it (but don't publish it yet), then you get a waypoint name and can label everything first... then place the cache, then go home, update the coordinates & description and publish it & get it reviewed. That's what I was thinking of doing... And yeah, I would look at the maps of the area first to make sure there aren't any other caches nearby. I have read the guidelines a couple of times... just want to see how people go about the process.

Do most people feel it's important to put the waypoint and cache name somewhere on the cache container or the logbook?

No, we don't feel the need to put the waypoint (i.e GC?????), but we will put the cache name.

We have always placed caches using your option c. We find a good place and then go home and think about the cache we want to place. We then create the cache container (and stages if a multi) to the particular area, think of a name (write it in the log-book), go back to place the cache/stages and take the coordinates. We then submit the cache on GC.com. We do NOT go back to put the GC# on the cache.

In our opinion this might not be as efficient as having a ready-to-go cache with us at all times, but we also don't believe that a ready-to-go cache will always be suitable for the particular spots we find. We prefer to tailor the cache to the spot.

Edited by Cedar Grove Seekers

Place the new cache before you create the unpublished listing, some caches get published within minutes.

What I meant was that the cache is unpublished, inactive and not subject to review. That is, the check box in the listing form that says

"Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.) "

is unchecked. So the reviewers won't see it and it will not get published until I check that box.

I have done both A and C.

I'm now more inclined to find a location or develop an idea first and THEN place the cache. Both of the caches I had ready-made in the back of the car just waiting for those days when I had a "There should be a cache here!" moment didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.