Project Bobcat software version 2.0.0.0 Beta

allory

Does it work ?

I received the message "Exception thrown" during startup.

I didn't have any problems. So far I've only had a few minutes to play with it, but It will let me move tracks and waypoints back and forth and view them on MapSource Topo. I already had the maps installed from trying MapInstall, so I don't know yet whether it eliminates the need for converting a Windows installation.

I found the reasion for my problems.

My further MapInstall / MapManager installlaton installed the maps in the directory

1: /user/andreas/library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

Bobcat installed his map in the directory

2: /Library/Application Support/Garmin Maps

If delete/renamed the first directory Bobcat will start with the maps found in the second directory. Manual copied maps from the first dirctory to the second also work.

However, from point of view this is an error. The second directory is a system directory. Bobcat has to install his maps (like other programs) in the user specific Application Support directory.

Thanks for the post, working fine with my maps.

Do you use other maps different from the demo map ?

Did Bob installed this demo map in the system library directory or in user library directory (see my posting below).

My maps are all custom. I installed them several weeks ago and the path was:

/user/xppro/library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

Yes a better path would be:

/Library/Application Support/Garmin Maps

But I haven't converted or installed any new maps with the new .app and it shouldn't be too big an issue to clean up.

Please email us if you experience any issues at mac.bobcat@garmin.com
Edited by coggins

I was at MacWorld Expo San Francisco today. I saw the Colorado's and they are sweet. I brought a 4GB SDHC card to MacWorld Expo with part of Topo 2008 installed. The Garmin rep let me install the card in a 300 Colorado. The Topo 2008 maps appeared with no problem. The Garmin rep said that since I already have Topo 2008, it would be wise to get the 300 and install the topo maps myself.

I also spoke with one of the Garmin software engineers who works on Garmin Mac software out of the Garmin location in Tempe Arizona. He said that Bobcat is a "preview" version, and in about 3 months the bugs and non-operating functions should be resolved. So finally, exactly 2 years after Garmin announced a Mac version of Mapsource at MacWorld Expo in 2006, they came through with a product... slow, but better late than never!

Edited by Barrikady

I was at MacWorld Expo San Francisco today. I saw the Colorado's and they are sweet. I brought a 4GB SDHC card to MacWorld Expo with part of Topo 2008 installed. The Garmin rep let me install the card in a 300 Colorado. The Topo 2008 maps appeared with no problem. The Garmin rep said that since I already have Topo 2008, it would be wise to get the 300 and install the topo maps myself.

I also spoke with one of the Garmin technicians who works on software out of the Garmin location in Tempe Arizona. He said that Bobcat is a "preview" version, and in about 3 months the bugs and non-operating functions should be resolved. So finally, exactly 2 years after Garmin announced a Mac version of Mapsource at MacWorld Expo in 2006, they came through with a product... slow, but better late than never!

Installing maps, tracks, routes, POIs, GPXs and everything else should be accomplished sans windows.

I want that big ol' chunk of hard drive back, not to mention shed the hassle. FULL Mac support should

be expedited, when that happens, . . . I'm there!

I also spoke with one of the Garmin technicians who works on software out of the Garmin location in Tempe Arizona. He said that Bobcat is a "preview" version, and in about 3 months the bugs and non-operating functions should be resolved. So finally, exactly 2 years after Garmin announced a Mac version of Mapsource at MacWorld Expo in 2006, they came through with a product... slow, but better late than never!

Great post! Thanks

Installing maps, tracks, routes, POIs, GPXs and everything else should be accomplished sans windows!

I agree. However, what we have is what we have. Garmin Mac software with Bobcat is a lot better than Garmin Mac software prior to Bobcat.

Update on my earlier post. My topo east map won't unarchive on my mac book, but I'll keep working on it.

Here is my impression of Bobcat so far (using city navigator and US topo west maps).

1. The maps look a little cartoonish - sort of like yahoo maps

2. When I plugged in my etrex legend Cx it immediately recognized it and didn't ask to install, it just did it

3. When I transferred from the GPSr to the map it transferred waypoints and routes. As far as I can tell there is no setting to pick just waypoints - not a big deal

Overall, it works just fine but I think it will be fine tuned a bit when the roll out the final product. I give it a 4 of 5 stars. This was the final hurdle in completely getting away from Windows. I can now dump my boot camp and parallels!

:huh:

Update on my earlier post. My topo east map won't unarchive on my mac book, but I'll keep working on it.

Here is my impression of Bobcat so far (using city navigator and US topo west maps).

2. When I plugged in my etrex legend Cx it immediately recognized it and didn't ask to install, it just did it

3. When I transferred from the GPSr to the map it transferred waypoints and routes. As far as I can tell there is no setting to pick just waypoints - not a big deal

Overall, it works just fine but I think it will be fine tuned a bit when the roll out the final product. I give it a 4 of 5 stars. This was the final hurdle in completely getting away from Windows. I can now dump my boot camp and parallels!

:unsure:

Alright... its me again the computer illiterate goober with the "brand new powerbook pro" that turned out to be a macbook pro... alright...

If I buy the CDs of the topo 2008 the city navigator can I use them on my mac with this bobcat or do I need to still use a pc or are some of the other mac software programs for reading those cds and putting them on my gps. Fyi I have a GPS etrex legend cx if that matters at all.

I downloaded the program and have figured out how to import caches from geojournal but that is it so far. Please help me in anyway you possibly can. I am confused and frustrated here.

nate

:unsure:

If I buy the CDs of the topo 2008 the city navigator can I use them on my mac with this bobcat or do I need to still use a pc or are some of the other mac software programs for reading those cds and putting them on my gps.

Quick answer: At this time you need to use a Windows machine to convert the data to a format that Macintosh understands.

Edited by Barrikady

I had some custom maps I was using on a PC that were downloaded already to my Legend HCX. I used MapConverter to convert some maps. It created a .TGZ file. In OSX, I uncompressed it to a .gmapi file.

How do I get those maps into Bobcat? I tried Import but it doesn't highlight .IMG (not surprising), .TGZ or .GMAPI. It only wants .GPX or .GDB. I even tried to drag the maps but no go.

UPDATE: NEVERMIND. I ran MapManager. All maps are in Bobcat.

Edited by oldskoolboarder

UPDATE: NEVERMIND. I ran MapManager. All maps are in Bobcat.

I am having trouble with this conversion/installation process with my maps.

Can anyone give me some suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Powerbook G4 1.67 2 GB Ram 10.4.11

PC with Vista on C:\ or XP on D:\available

What i've done.

At first the MapConverter program was giving an error when converting the maps during the compression stage. I reinstalled Mapsource/ CN v8 and ran the CN v2008 updater within the Visa install. That allowed the Mapconverter to run OK and created the .tgz files.

I can move those to the Mac OK

Decompress those, yeilds the .gmapi files

MapManager runs and installs the .gmap files in ~Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

I tried moving those files to /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

still nothing

Bobcat shows my Unlock codes installed properly. no matter which of the above directories that file is in.

but says no map product installed.

I am thinking the trouble is with the MapConverter program on the PC, but really don't know what else to try there in order to get results.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Denny

still nothing

Thanks, Denny

The files belong in ~/Library/Applications Support/Garmin/Maps NOT in /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps.

In other words the .gmap file belongs in YOUR library, not the system library.

still nothing

Thanks, Denny

The files belong in ~/Library/Applications Support/Garmin/Maps NOT in /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps.

They don't work on my MAC in EITHER location. I tried moving them because of an earlier post in this thread that noted success by using that change.

Move them out, move them back Reboot, still are not recognized by Bobcat or by Mapinstall.

Edited by dennyhenderson

still nothing

Thanks, Denny

They don't work on my MAC in EITHER location. I tried moving them because of an earlier post in this thread that noted success by using that change.

Move them out, move them back Reboot, still are not recognized by Bobcat or by Mapinstall.

I'm sorry you're having that problem, I have no other suggestions. Bobcat works fine on my G5 OSX10.5.1

The problem with having them in the

/user/Library/Applications Support/Garmin/Maps path

is that one would need the maps installed for each user, even if they were using the same GPSr. Garmin needs to use the system Library. Their maps get unlocked to a GPS, so there shouldn't be a problem with this.

still nothing

Thanks, Denny

Did you use the MapManager .app to install the maps on your Mac?

The problem with having them in the

/user/Library/Applications Support/Garmin/Maps path

is that one would need the maps installed for each user, even if they were using the same GPSr. Garmin needs to use the system Library. Their maps get unlocked to a GPS, so there shouldn't be a problem with this.

Actually I did some tinkering with this concept.

If you open the package of Bobcat, you can find the US Basemap 2.gmap file.

Inside the resources.

I moved that file out of the package and into

1. ~Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

And Bobcat and Mapinstall can still read that map just fine.

Also tried putting that file into:

2. /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

And Bobcat and MapInstall can see it there also.

If I move that file to the Desktop and start Bobcat it gives the error that no maps are installed and will not launch.

That experiment is what leads me to believe that the problem I have is being caused by the map conversion process on the PC. Since the CN files are there but are not recognized.

Also tried moving the Unlock code from folder 1 to Folder 2 and the unlock codes are being recognized in either location.

I'm sorry you're having that problem, I have no other suggestions. Bobcat works fine on my G5 OSX10.5.1

Which Garmin maps do you have installed in your Bobcat installation?

And do you know which version of Garmins MapConverter you used to do the conversion on the PC?

I have Topo 2008 installed on the Mac and I have MapConverer 2.0.0.3 installed on the Windows XP machine

I have Topo 2008 installed on the Mac and I have MapConverer 2.0.0.3 installed on the Windows XP machine

hmm

Maybe the problem is with the maps I am trying to convert?

I am trying to convert CNNANT v8 and CNNANT v2008

thanks

Hey hey, it should work with those... could have been 1) in the conversion on the PC, 2) the transfer to the Mac or 3) the .tgz to .gmapi decomp on the Mac... 4) the MapManager on the Mac... a lot of places for it to go wrong.

Does it work ?

I received the message "Exception thrown" during startup.

If you are getting this exception its one of the gmaps in your ~/Library/Applications Support/Garmin/Maps folder. ( The one in you home folder lib directory. Not the /Library folder of root)

To determine which one it is, move them all out to the desktop. Then use map manager to install the .gmap files one at a time. You also need the unlock.* file too for the City Nav maps ,etc.

I had a custom TOPO map that was causing this exception ERROR.

Its very important to check to see if the MAP appears in BOBCATS drop down menu. Select BASEMAP, then the map you just copied with Map Manager. If this doesnt show up, or you get the "exception failed error" , remove the last map you tried to copy with map manager.

If you have issues, PM me for more help. Ive got a Mac and willing to assist remotely...

Edited by jchiar

Thanks to Dietmar over at the macmap Yahoo group we solved the problem I noted below.

If your MAC drives are formatted with the casesensitive option you will likely have the problem I had.

And there in lies the solution.

Find your *.gmap files

MapManager installs them in ~Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/

Right click on the .gmap file that does not work

From the pop up menu choose View package Contents.

In there you will see a file named "Info.xml"

Change the name of that file from "Info.xml" to "info.xml"

This worked fo me, Dietmar, and a couple of others on the macmap Yahoo forum who had the same problem.

Cheers, Denny

Actually I did some tinkering with this concept.

If you open the package of Bobcat, you can find the US Basemap 2.gmap file.

Inside the resources.

I moved that file out of the package and into

1. ~Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

And Bobcat and Mapinstall can still read that map just fine.

Also tried putting that file into:

2. /Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

And Bobcat and MapInstall can see it there also.

If I move that file to the Desktop and start Bobcat it gives the error that no maps are installed and will not launch.

That experiment is what leads me to believe that the problem I have is being caused by the map conversion process on the PC. Since the CN files are there but are not recognized.

Also tried moving the Unlock code from folder 1 to Folder 2 and the unlock codes are being recognized in either location.

I wrote this up and sent it in to the mac.bobcat@garmin.com address.

And actually received a reply. See below.

"Thank you for reporting your findings to Garmin. As you mentioned this software is

kind of a "pre-beta", but I should note that the issue with street names not

appearing is an issue and is currently be fixed. Please look for a new version of

Bobcat to be released soon which should fix these issues.

Best regards,

Brian

Garmin Engineering"

I am having the street name problem as well. I'm suprised not more people are mentioning it. Any cure for this problem other than waiting for Garmin to release a newer version of bobcat?

- jeremy

Bobcat is a 'beta' software, I think that there will be updates forthcoming as it's stated destiny is to become

the Mac front-end, probably at or near the completion of map porting. Pure speculation on my part though.

Norm

Just to clarify terminology, there are THREE libraries:

- /System/Library/* -- the system library - not modifiable

- /Library/* -- the library shared by all users - IS modifiable

- ~/Library - each user's library

You guys are referring to /Library as the system library. This is not correct. /Library/ -- the shared library -- is the right place for the maps, so they can be shared by all accounts on the machine. But that is not the same as the system library.

Edited by shacker

Just to clarify terminology, there are THREE libraries:

- /System/Library/* -- the system library - not modifiable

- /Library/* -- the library shared by all users - IS modifiable

- ~/Library - each user's library

You guys are referring to /Library as the system library. This is not correct. /Library/ -- the shared library -- is the right place for the maps, so they can be shared by all accounts on the machine. But that is not the same as the system library.

Yes, this is correct. Was living in MacOS for the moment...