PN-20 or Colorado 400t?

Noscitare

I am able to mark the caches as found both on the Treo and on my 60CSX and find the next closest cache. [A feature prominently lacking on the Delorme].

Don't get me wrong the Delorme unit is a nice feature packed unit with decent enough maps. For power cachers not being able to mark your finds is a severe drawback in my opinion.

The Find Geocache option that you are describing is very nice... For those using a PN-20 the following steps are available:

-Press the Find button

-Show: Waypoints, Symbol: Geocache

The list will populate with the geocaches closest to your current location, showing Bearing, Arrow, and Distance.

-After you find the nearest cache, change the waypoint symbol from Geocache to Geocache Found.

The list will update to show the next closest geocache that you need to find.

A few more steps than what BANDA described, but something that might be helpful to PN-20 owners. I will post screenshots at forum.delorme.com for those interested...

A fast transition from one cache to the next... great suggestion, keep them coming. We're listening!

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

I have loaded some caches in the T7 but how do read any of the descriptions, change the descriptions, and how do you read them on the PN-20. The way I loaded them was from gask: from file, export / delorme topo USA, sa plus etc. it made them a text file and then I imported them to the draw tab and they show up on the map and then I sent them to the PN-20. This was painless to do but I am missing something and let me say thanks to DeLorme for the customer service they have been great.

You should use GSAK to export a gpx file to import into a T7 draw layer (or you can even import the gx.com gpx file directly).

I'm not sure if you need this information, but on the Draw Tab/File display, there is a button in the lower right corner that can be toggled between "More" and "Less." This brings up a detailed list of the imported waypoints, and gives you access to editing the fields.

If you want to use GSAK special tags in your T7/PN-20 waypoint names or comments, read this post.

What would really be great, Chip, is to have the ability to open an entire new screen when clicking on the geocache icon. On that screen, you would be able to view the cache description, hints, and maybe a few past logs. I don't know how easy this would be for you to achieve, as I'm not a programmer, but it would put the PN-20 in an entirely different class.

Your competition, as you know, are the Triton and Colorado, both of which display alot more cache information. I've heard that you have an update in which there will be more characters displayed, but 800 characters won't display the entire description of a lot of caches. Of the 19 I own, it won't get the cacher past the initial paragraph describing the series. We chose your unit because the mapping capabilities are unmatched, but increasing your geocaching capabilities could put you at the top of the market.

Right now the Colorado works with the new Wherigo game, but honestly, it has some serious limitations that can't be fixed without a change in the hardware design. The Magellan is not currently functioning with the game either, so it would put the PN-20 on an even playing field.

The other suggestion I would make is a little more "out there", but would be a fabulous addition to your PN-20. Your Topo program, and Xmap already have a routing planner and can be used to navigate roads, and I've read on these forums about several truckers who use the BT-20 alongside a laptop computer to navigate. A laptop can be too big for the average family driver, but a smaller lcd screen comparable to other car navigation units that could connect to your PN-20 to display the info, and maybe include text to speech, would be unbelievable.

Edit: Whew....that shows you how poor your English can be when you're mind is focused on other things....sorry...typing when I have a second while homeschooling. :D

Edited by elmuyloco5

What would really be great, Chip, is to have the ability to open an entire new screen when clicking on the geocache icon. On that screen, you would be able to view the cache description, hints, and maybe a few past logs. I don't know how easy this would be for you to achieve, as I'm not a programmer, but it would put the PN-20 in an entirely different class.

I feel a little guilty doing this, since Chip likely enjoys even more than I when we can say, "It already does this!" :D

If you import a gpx file from gc.com or GSAK, Topo7 has an url to the gc.com cache page as a part of the waypoint data. Clicking on the cache name in the map display will whisk you to the appropriate cache page, with all the data you specified (if you have an active internet connection).

Edit: I re-read your post and it occurred to me that you were probably referring to the GPS operation, and not Topo7. It doesn't do this. :D Good suggestion, though.

Edited by embra

What would really be great, Chip, is to have the ability to open an entire new screen when clicking on the geocache icon.

I created a post on our forum with images of the new Comment Details page that will be available in a week or so. There are lots of great suggestions coming in... We are very pleased with all of the feedback we've gotten from our forum and from the gc.com forum. Thank you all for taking the time to pass along your ideas.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=64972#64972

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

What would really be great, Chip, is to have the ability to open an entire new screen when clicking on the geocache icon.

I created a post on our forum with images of the new Comment Details page that will be available in a week or so. There are lots of great suggestions coming in... We are very pleased with all of the feedback we've gotten from our forum and from the gc.com forum. Thank you all for taking the time to pass along your ideas.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=64972#64972

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Very nice! I look forward to seeing just how much of the description is available. This is definately going to improve geocaching on the PN-20. Thanks for putting our needs into consideration!