Geocacher find labels

rhelt100

Greetings forumers,

I've noticed while perusing various logbooks that a lot of cachers use pre-printed labels instead of actually writing their geocaching name into the logbook. It's been discussed a lot on group cache runs that it sure would be easier if we had pre-printed stickers to place into logbooks as we usually resort to designating somebody as the secretary to actually write down everybody's name. So, I ask those of you use pre-printed labels. What's your method? What software do you use to design your sticker?

I'm going to hit staples tonight after work and see what they have to offer. I think what I'd like to do is get full page stickers that will work in my printer so that I'm not confined to a standard size label. However, while I see these for sale online, I didn't see them on the staples webpage so that might not be an option. I may end up getting sheets of pre-sized stickers, but even if this is the case I'm still curious as to what software one would use to set this up.

Thanks in advance for sharing your methods!

-Ray

This is how it works in Office 2003 (I'm assuming that you'd have the same setup that I do, since mine is a standard installation as far as I know):

Open a new document, and from the new Document pane choose the "Templates... on my computer" option. Buried within the Letters and Faxes tab, you should find the Mailing Label Wizard. Double click this, and choose to "create one label or a page of the same label".

On the following screen, at the bottom right corner, you should see a little graphic of a shipping label. Either click on this graphic, or click the Options button. Somewhere on this window, you should see a list of address labels and product numbers.

Now, on the box of labels that you purchased from the store, assuming you purchased Avery labels, you should see the 4-digit product number. Hopefully you can find this product number in the list on your computer. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you.

When you find the product number, select it, then click OK to return to the Envelopes and Labels window. Before leaving this screen, type something into the big address box as a placeholder. You'll change it later. Then click on "New Document", and the placeholder text should be repeated on a grid in a new window. If you didn't type any placeholder text, the new document will be completely blank.

From here, you can actually design a sticker. I work in the top left cell, then when I have everything the way I like it, copy/paste into the other cells on the page. Be careful when inserting graphics or large text that you don't try to fit in too much, which will expend the size of the cell and push everything out of alignment. Always print a test page on a plain sheet of paper, not on your expensive labels. Sometimes things line up nicely with the edges of the stickers, other times the printout looks nothing like it should. That's Word for you. You can arrange the test sheet you printed behind a label sheet, and hold it up to the light to make sure everything lines up, but sometimes there are printed words on the back of the sticker sheet that get in the way.

I have noticed that some owners of small, micro and nano caches have requested that labels not be used when logging their caches due to the amount of space a label consumes vs. just initials. You may wish to check cache descriptions for this before starting out.

I think some common sence is appropriate here. I use lables because I am lazy and it is easyier and others can't read my writing. I never use labels in micros due to the restricted log sizes.

One of our local large volume cachers sonorazark has made an ink stamp with his user ID and an avatar and I have noted that he does not use the stamp in mircos. Although the stamp is easy to recognize and distinctive, the Avery type return address lable and MS Word is quicker to start using......

Labels fall off. I often know when I'm close to a cache due to labels laying on the ground.

If you do use labels, please place them neatly and in line with previous signatures. I've noticed one very large group of cachers who all log under the same name almost always plaster their label upside down & diagonal in the middle of a very large blank area of the log. The practice is very rude & those labels often get removed- what's the difference, in their case nobody knows who was *actually* there anyway.

Labels fall off. I often know when I'm close to a cache due to labels laying on the ground.
Often??? I've never noticed this and believe me I wish I had. I need all the help to find those little buggers as I can get.
If you do use labels, please place them neatly and in line with previous signatures. I've noticed one very large group of cachers who all log under the same name almost always plaster their label upside down & diagonal in the middle of a very large blank area of the log. The practice is very rude & those labels often get removed- what's the difference, in their case nobody knows who was *actually* there anyway.
This seems like a case of answering a bit of unintentional rudeness with a ton of purposeful rudeness. Edited by sbell111

Every one of those is better than mine. It should be noted that they really don't take up more log space than a sig, but would make it impossible to roll the log up tightly to slide into some micros. Therefore, stickers should not be used on those caches, in my opinion.

<edited to add that I got hypnotized by that darn cat, again.>

Edited by sbell111

a stamp and ink pad would probably be cheaper in the long run plus you could roll the log up for micros..

Couldn't that cause potential issue with moisture and the ink ruining the log? This is one reason I've shied away from even using certain types of felt tips pens...seems like the ink in those tends to run when moisture hits the ink.

a stamp and ink pad would probably be cheaper in the long run plus you could roll the log up for micros..
Couldn't that cause potential issue with moisture and the ink ruining the log? This is one reason I've shied away from even using certain types of felt tips pens...seems like the ink in those tends to run when moisture hits the ink.
Alternatively, we could stop signing the logs altogether. That way there is no danger of inks damaging it.

For those that have never seen the labels before, here is a picture from a cache I archived.

<very tall picture of colorful log scroll>

Wow... is there anybody in your area who DOESN'T have a stamp or sticker of their own? :huh: The most I usually see is five or six stickers amongst a sea of handwritten names- there probably aren't four written signatures on that whole sheet!

Why stickers? You still have to write the date, are you too lazy to put down your initials!?

People are pretty quick to call others lazy around here, in my opinion.

Take a look at the pic of stickers further up the thread.

Stickers allow a cacher to add a bit of fun originatlity to his/her log.

Edited by sbell111

Why stickers? You still have to write the date, are you too lazy to put down your initials!?

If cachers want to add some originality, let them add art/draw pictures in the logs. Now that's originality!!!!!!

I think he nailed it. ^

Just something to add a touch of flair to my logs. And yes, I actually do write a log entry to go with it.

Corpor... er, personal identity. To me it's like a signature item. I don't use them to save any time (actually it takes longer to place the sticker than to scribble the name) but to leave a clear mark. I always use the rest of the page to write down my story of finding the cache.

I used the service of a professional printer, both for design (online via a Javascript driven interface) and printing. The quality is great, self-adhesive, waterproof colour and they are cheap - I paid about €0.04 per piece.

I use labels printed through Word. Simple return address labels take up as much space as if I sign the log without any notes anyway, so it's just a matter of how I want to use the space. And, they take up less space than some people's signatures, too. I've seen many hand written names (not the comments!) that take up four lines - mostly from the "good ole' days."

If it's a logscroll, I don't use 'em - it's hard enough for me to put them back correctly (much less find them) without stickers, thank you very much! I just slap a date and peace symbol in there, and away I go.

I've noticed one very large group of cachers who all log under the same name almost always plaster their label upside down & diagonal in the middle of a very large blank area of the log. The practice is very rude & those labels often get removed- what's the difference, in their case nobody knows who was *actually* there anyway.

This seems like a case of answering a bit of unintentional rudeness with a ton of purposeful rudeness.

Wow, ease up- I wasn't talking about YOU.

Actually, it IS purposefully rude (and obnoxious) to "plaster their label upside down & diagonal in the middle of a very large blank area of the log". Removing it is akin to CITO.

Most everyone hates stickers stuck all over logs. The idea of a log is to collect SIGNATURES and dates, thus verifying WHO visited a cache & when. Some cachers leave signature cards in caches (after they sign the log). When those get dog-eared & filthy they can easily be CITO'd without effect to the log.

Alternatively, we could stop signing the logs altogether. That way there is no danger of inks damaging it.

Yeah, har har...that's clearly what I was saying!

Why not?

The type I am talking about you print on the fly.

Besides, my legibility is marginal at best. I would still write in the log about the journey if it were that type of log. There are clearly reasons outside laziness...

Most everyone hates stickers stuck all over logs. The idea of a log is to collect SIGNATURES and dates, thus verifying WHO visited a cache & when. Some cachers leave signature cards in caches (after they sign the log). When those get dog-eared & filthy they can easily be CITO'd without effect to the log.

Most everyone? Are there statistics on this?

Again, I'll write on a log in addition to placing my sticker on logs where that is applicable, but otherwise on many mini-logs where people are just signing and dating there is effectively zero difference.

My legibility is bad and a sticker can be personal as well.

I agree that stickers stuck weird can be problematic...CITO comparison is invalid, but I am sure the added drama was to emphasize a point. Well, here's my counter-point, I've seen just as many obnoxious, large, diagonal, entire page hand written signings as I have odd ball stick placements.

And, honestly, I've never seen a big problem with odd ball stickers in our area. Maybe regions have some problematic cachers signing logs, but I'd bet they all aren't limited to the sticker users.

Edited by egami

Wow... is there anybody in your area who DOESN'T have a stamp or sticker of their own? :unsure: The most I usually see is five or six stickers amongst a sea of handwritten names- there probably aren't four written signatures on that whole sheet!

It appears that more cachers have returned to the old fashioned method of signing by hand. I used stickers for about 300 + / - finds, then gave them up for the pen instead. I don't write much in the log except my nickname and what I took. I've seen many labels that have fallen off, and i've seen the effects of stickers on a micro log. I fully understand the complaint about them being put on sideways, and covering other cachers signature (seen this firsthand).

I've seen signatures that were indecipherable in the English language.

I hate labels. Besides taking up lots of logbook real estate, they make the log harder to roll. Besides you can't use a label in a nano :0 You want originality? Make a sig item. Of course you can't put one in a nano and maybe even a miro. I like cool sig items.

Jim

A small hand crafted stamp (letterbox style) is about as original as you can get.

BINGO!!!!!!!! I couldn't agree any more!!!!!!! Stickers indicate to me the laziness of the cachers who use them.

Geo-Solo, it's they only way to know that "you" found it!!!!!!

Actually, it takes some work to come up with something original and memorable. It also takes more work to peel them off and stick them onto the log. Scribbling a signature takes no time at all and most are illegible which indicates the signer didn't care anyway.

My labels (when I make them) have artwork on them and then they are double coated with a spray to waterproof them. I'll warrant my label creation, printing and preservation took more time to make a sheet than your two seconds to scribble... per label. It costs more too.

When lables get wet they fade/smear and fall off cause of the glue. What good are they anyway? You still have to put the date on them. If your that lazy and cant right your name down then stay at home and watch TV or something.

When logs get wet, everybody's sig may get damaged, sticker or not.

Some people like the stickers. They like to be able to add a cool, individualized bit to the log. That doesn't make them lazy. Calling people you don't know lazy makes you something, however.

When lables get wet they fade/smear and fall off cause of the glue. What good are they anyway? You still have to put the date on them. If your that lazy and cant right your name down then stay at home and watch TV or something.

Riiiight, because we all know that written logs never fade, smear or otherwise have problems...

NEXT!

Hmmm... Some people could be considered too lazy to use a dictionary or thesaurus.

Edited by TotemLake

Hmmm... Some people could be considered too lazy to use a dictionary or thesaurus.

Your write about that.