Floating the Skagit

Ambrosia

Are there any parking permits required at either the put in or the take out and if so which permits?

That is a VERY good question!

I beleive the PUT IN is a public fishing area and just might require a Vehicle Use Permit. I havn't been there in a while so I don't remember for sure. This could be a problem for some people. If this is the case the permit needed would be the 2007 permit, not 2008. The 2008 permit does not start until March.

I had one but lost it :huh: I really prefered the days when that permit was a window sticker and not just a receipt.

I seem to recall that the scheduled take out is a county (or city) park.

I have a couple of questions. Since I am bringing my kayaks I need to know if the pull-out spot has parking. I don't know how the transportation is going to be. Should I bring two cars? One on either end of the trip. This is how I usually do it but was curious if there was a way to take only one car? Is there room for two 10 foot kayaks and two people on the way back to the starting point? We will be there either way, just would like to know what to expect.

Thanks BBP

We will be using two cars and need to know were to park the lower car. I haven't been out there is some time and can't remember seeing a parking lot. Is it clearly marked so that we can find it easily?

Finally some answers (sorry for the delay), as for transportation we will have a 12 passenger van that can shuttle people from the take out to the put in so really there's no need for anyone to bring 2 cars. There will be plenty of people in our group who can watch your boats at the take out while you retrieve your vehicle from the put in.

Are there any parking permits required at either the put in or the take out and if so which permits?

That is a VERY good question!

I beleive the PUT IN is a public fishing area and just might require a Vehicle Use Permit. I havn't been there in a while so I don't remember for sure. This could be a problem for some people. If this is the case the permit needed would be the 2007 permit, not 2008. The 2008 permit does not start until March.

I had one but lost it B) I really prefered the days when that permit was a window sticker and not just a receipt.

I seem to recall that the scheduled take out is a county (or city) park.

The put in I'm nearly positive is permit free. I believe that it's forest service land so no fees there. The take out is a county park and there should be no fee's there either except for our larger commercial rafts but we've got that covered with the help of donations to cover trip costs.

I'm sorry that I've taken so long to respond to some questions and comments in this thread. I've been overwhelmed by everything lately.

To put the terrain issue to rest. I think this one clearly qualifies for a level 5 terrain rating. The event is the rafting trip which requires a boat. The fact that there is a meal planned afterwards that is open to all cachers not just those rafting doesn't change that.

I'm working overtime trying to convince the family that while we don't wanna do the boat thing it'd be fun to attend the pre- and -after party, (helping Lucy out by keeping an eye on Rickie) visiting and chatting (about the Colorado) with the other landlubbers.

After the fact, will I log it as attended? Or just note that that were there??

BTW, can I sign up to bring something??

You can log an attended! Like I said in an earlier post, you're involved in the event, just as much as the people floating. The event is the whole experience, from beginning to end, whatever you participate in is fine.

You can bring something if you would like. That after float part is pretty informal. Half-Canadian volunteered to bring something warm to eat, like chili or soup. So if you want to bring something to share, you can. Kinda like potluck! :D (Is Ricky bringing stuff to share with everyone, or just Lucy?)

So are water cannons allowed on this trip...or does that go against my promise of being good?

:D

Be careful the water might freeze before getting over to the other boat.. You could put an eye out :)

Have fun and stay warm!!

I would absolutely love to do this, but it would be the third very busy day in a row for me while I'm still fighting colds and possibly the flu that I've had since Christmas. :ph34r:

I'm so sorry that you're still fighting stuff. I know how those things can linger, and it's so frustrating. I'll pray that you heal quickly, and that you'll wake up this weekend all better and can attend everything. :D:D (((HUGS!)))

We will be using two cars and need to know were to park the lower car. I haven't been out there is some time and can't remember seeing a parking lot. Is it clearly marked so that we can find it easily?

I don't have the coordinates to the take out unfortunately, I'm sorry. But as I mentioned before, it's kind of close to the cache, "Kicking Cache". Take a look at this map: Linky. From what we can tell, if you go directly 500 feet East from "Kicking Cache", where the river loops up towards the highway, that's where the take out should be. I'm hoping so! :) After this event is over, we can waymark the take out and Waymark the whole thing in the Rafting category. :D

Anyone have a best guess on what the weather will be like on Sunday?

Cold... Possibly wet.

It coincidentally coincides with the description of the river.

Looking at weather.com for Marblemount, WA on Sunday:

Highs 34, lows 26. A 60% chance of precipitation, although it says snow I think. Everyone should bring rain stuff.

How many spaces do you have left?

We're doing fine with space. We had a bunch of people sign up at first, but not very many afterwards. So I welcome people signing up! :D

You can bring something if you would like. That after float part is pretty informal. Half-Canadian volunteered to bring something warm to eat, like chili or soup. So if you want to bring something to share, you can. Kinda like potluck! :ph34r: (Is Ricky bringing stuff to share with everyone, or just Lucy?)

Rickie will share something warm with anyone who is nice to him. Rickie.

I'm sorry that I've taken so long to respond to some questions and comments in this thread. I've been overwhelmed by everything lately.

To put the terrain issue to rest. I think this one clearly qualifies for a level 5 terrain rating. The event is the rafting trip which requires a boat. The fact that there is a meal planned afterwards that is open to all cachers not just those rafting doesn't change that.

I'm working overtime trying to convince the family that while we don't wanna do the boat thing it'd be fun to attend the pre- and -after party, (helping Lucy out by keeping an eye on Rickie) visiting and chatting (about the Colorado) with the other landlubbers.

After the fact, will I log it as attended? Or just note that that were there??

BTW, can I sign up to bring something??

You can log an attended! Like I said in an earlier post, you're involved in the event, just as much as the people floating. The event is the whole experience, from beginning to end, whatever you participate in is fine.

You can bring something if you would like. That after float part is pretty informal. Half-Canadian volunteered to bring something warm to eat, like chili or soup. So if you want to bring something to share, you can. Kinda like potluck! :D (Is Ricky bringing stuff to share with everyone, or just Lucy?)

So are water cannons allowed on this trip...or does that go against my promise of being good?

Be careful the water might freeze before getting over to the other boat.. You could put an eye out :)

Have fun and stay warm!!

I would absolutely love to do this, but it would be the third very busy day in a row for me while I'm still fighting colds and possibly the flu that I've had since Christmas. :ph34r:

I'm so sorry that you're still fighting stuff. I know how those things can linger, and it's so frustrating. I'll pray that you heal quickly, and that you'll wake up this weekend all better and can attend everything. :D:D (((HUGS!)))

I don't have the coordinates to the take out unfortunately, I'm sorry. But as I mentioned before, it's kind of close to the cache, "Kicking Cache". Take a look at this map: Linky. From what we can tell, if you go directly 500 feet East from "Kicking Cache", where the river loops up towards the highway, that's where the take out should be. I'm hoping so! :) After this event is over, we can waymark the take out and Waymark the whole thing in the Rafting category. :D

Anyone have a best guess on what the weather will be like on Sunday?

Cold... Possibly wet.

It coincidentally coincides with the description of the river.

Looking at weather.com for Marblemount, WA on Sunday:

Highs 34, lows 26. A 60% chance of precipitation, although it says snow I think. Everyone should bring rain stuff.

How many spaces do you have left?

We're doing fine with space. We had a bunch of people sign up at first, but not very many afterwards. So I welcome people signing up! :D

i sent a email to the event cache owner but no one has responded so i will post here we will be bringing our own kayak but will need transportation to get our car at the drop off spot

You can bring something if you would like. That after float part is pretty informal. Half-Canadian volunteered to bring something warm to eat, like chili or soup. So if you want to bring something to share, you can. Kinda like potluck! :ph34r: (Is Ricky bringing stuff to share with everyone, or just Lucy?)

Rickie will share something warm with anyone who is nice to him. Rickie.

RICKIE! :) I knew I was doing something wrong. I kept thinking that perhaps I was spelling Lucy wrong, but I checked and I was right. Didn't think of checking Rickie. :)

Thanks for sharing. :D

i sent a email to the event cache owner but no one has responded so i will post here we will be bringing our own kayak but will need transportation to get our car at the drop off spot

I'm sorry, that's my fault. I take care of those things, because my husband usually doesn't (his profile email goes directly to me, because he checks his emails so infrequently).

I've had so much coming at me, with the cache page, the thread, emails, pm's, etc. So I got behind in answering everything.

We'll work out the transportation, so no worries! :ph34r:

I hope I answered all your questions, let me know if I didn't.

You're nuts, all of you! Rafting in 34 degree weather??? :P

My plans are to FLOAT and IMBIBE. No getting wet (looks to Rec, don't even think about it buddy). Now trying to walk my dog this morning when it was only 3 degrees...THAT'S NUTS! :D I'm coming over to warm up!

Can I come, can I please, pretty pretty please come with you ??? :o I want to get out of this cold myself! :D

( I couldn't actually come, since I have things to do here)

I have to walk to work in this dang cold at 5AM! :P

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I just posted a note in the Event Cache page. I feel bad that there's a lot of confusion over the donation, and people are dropping out of the Event because of it. I never ever wanted that to happen. I want anyone to come who wants to come. If you feel that you can't afford it, then come anyway and we'll work it out! We just want people to have fun at this Event.

Here is what I wrote (just in case you didn't read it on the Event Cache page):

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the donation.

We are using rafts from a private school. We ask for a donation, because the school is bringing a van over with all thier rafting equipment, 4 rafts, helpers, and we found 4 trained river guides. To help them out and to pay for any upkeep (hey, we popped a boat a few years ago on the White Water GeoRafting Event!), we ask for a donation.

Like I said in the thread, though, we would not turn away anyone because of the donation. Donations are a suggestion, but you can give what you feel able to do so.

And like I said in the Event Thread, if we do not get enough donations at these Events, we just won't hold any more (or we'll have to hold the kind that people only bring thier own boats - although we thought that it's nice to make boats available to people).

For people's info, though, I mentioned the donation on the Event Cache page, in the "What to bring" section:

Snacks, sack lunches, drinks. GPSr, camera, binoculars. Donation if you can to help out the youth/school who is providing the equipment (unless you are bringing your own boat and equipment).

I also mentioned the donation suggestion in my first post in the Forum Thread, and link to it at the top of this Cache Page:

Like the other two trips, we're asking for a donation (unless you bring your own boats and equipment), for upkeep of equipment and costs and to help with guides and other helpers. The suggestion is $50 dollars per person. Normal commercial trips on the Skagit are around $80.

I'm profusely sorry for the confusion and upset this has caused some. I could not say more on the cache page without express permission from Groundspeak. On the other hand, we need donations in order to continue to provide this equipment for Events.

Thanks for understanding.

Edited by Ambrosia

Another note:

Quick update and reminder:

Temperature is still supposed to be 34 degrees. There's a good chance that it may snow, and even rain. Make sure that you have something waterproof, like a rain parka or rain jacket, just in case.

Also make sure you're dressed very warm, like you're going skiing or sledding. Warm winter boots would probably be best on your feet. Hats and gloves. You can even bring a blanket.

Another note:

Temperature is still supposed to be 34 degrees. There's a good chance that it may snow, and even rain. Make sure that you have something waterproof, like a rain parka or rain jacket, just in case.

Also make sure you're dressed very warm, like you're going skiing or sledding. Warm winter boots would probably be best on your feet. Hats and gloves. You can even bring a blanket.

This is great info, thanks for posting. I was just pondering this morning what shoes to wear. I mean, we're in a boat on water....wasn't sure if winter boots were the right call, but I want to be warm! I assume this means our risk of dunking the feet (or any body part) is low, even at put-in and take-out. :D

Just a note. Some of us were caching in the area today. Both parking areas are without fee. Don't worry about paying for parking. There are two caches near the put in spot and one at the take out. The ramp at the put in is icy. There is about six inches of snow there and there was no snow at Rockport. We did not see too many eagles, but they were there. You will probably see more since the road is away from the river in many places.

Have fun.

Another note:

This is great info, thanks for posting. I was just pondering this morning what shoes to wear. I mean, we're in a boat on water....wasn't sure if winter boots were the right call, but I want to be warm! I assume this means our risk of dunking the feet (or any body part) is low, even at put-in and take-out. :P

I'm glad the info helps. The most important thing is to keep yourself warm and dry, including your feet. As most snow boots are waterproof/resistant on the lower portions to deal with slushy snow, and they're lined and warm, they're the best. There may be a bit of water in the bottom of the boat, but nothing big. And we don't anticipate giving anyone any baths! :blink:

Just a note. Some of us were caching in the area today. Both parking areas are without fee. Don't worry about paying for parking. There are two caches near the put in spot and one at the take out. The ramp at the put in is icy. There is about six inches of snow there and there was no snow at Rockport. We did not see too many eagles, but they were there. You will probably see more since the road is away from the river in many places.

Have fun.

Great to have info and updates about the area, thanks WM! :)

What a great river float! :( The bad weather held off (we even had some sun!), and 30 rafters and 3 kayakers had a wonderful time drifting down the Skagit River and spotting eagles. Those who canceled missed a great outing!

The eagle-spotting competition was fierce; our raft spotted at least 47 eagles (including some that preened for us, soared overhead, and one that talked to us!). Another raft claimed 55. We all enjoyed the mid-float hot chocolate and cider service (thanks, all41), and the Frito pies, minestrone, and doughnuts waiting for us at the pull-out, as well as the vehicle valet service (thanks Half-Canadian, Sassy, and lucyandrickie).

Special thanks to our organizers (all41 and Ambrosia), the CCA, and our guides for making this adventure possible. I hope all the rafters showed their appreciation with a donation so that we can enjoy more rafting trips in future.

47f95500-c150-4554-bb7d-0e28754b0393.jpg

Looks like I missed a great float! Sorry I couldn't make it.

We missed you. Without you and Rickie of L&R on the river there was no major mishaps so it is still up in the air as to whom brings the adventure to the floats. LOL.

Although all41's raft did get unintentionally beached along the way.... :laughing:

Looks like I missed a great float! Sorry I couldn't make it.

We missed you. Without you and Rickie of L&R on the river there was no major mishaps so it is still up in the air as to whom brings the adventure to the floats. LOL.

Although all41's raft did get unintentionally beached along the way.... :laughing:

It felt like a major mishap to us! :P:laughing::P