Events you plan to attend ...

The Hawks

Hello guys (and girls :ph34r: ),

there was a time when the "My Account" page had some lines telling me which events I planned to attend in the next 30 days.

A few weeks later it kept showing events of the passt that I had already logged as attended, but new events I planned to attend didn't show up.

And now - it is simply gone?

What about that nice feature?

-nik

Edited by The Hawks

Frankly, I don't think anyone said anything because nothing is better than something that doesn't work.

For what it's worth (which isn't usually much), I wish it would be recoded to show upcoming events I've stated I'll attend.

We removed that feature because it wasn't working properly. We may or may not add it again if people are missing it. So far you are the first I've seen that even remembered it was there!

We removed that feature because it wasn't working properly. We may or may not add it again if people are missing it. So far you are the first I've seen that even remembered it was there!

I'd like to see it come back too. But only it it would be implemented in a way that the note is shown from the time your write your will attend until either the event is archived, you logged a find on it or after special amount of time (one or two weeks since the event). One more thing is that it should work for all three types of events (normal, mega, CITO).

On a side note: Is there a reason why the log type "Found it" is still available for CITOs, while an "Attended" should be more appropriate?

I don't miss it . . . for what it's worth . . . :D

Plus . . . it was buggy. :huh:

Umm - am I getting something wrong or was that exactly what I mentioned in my post?

On a side note: Is there a reason why the log type "Found it" is still available for CITOs, while an "Attended" should be more appropriate?

Well, I guess because it is ***Cache in*** Trash out, which by the terms very nature would mean that you find a physical cache box while attending the event. I didn't take part in a CITO yet, but that's what I think it is.

Anyway, the discussed feature was really helpful because we are kind of event-freaks. The missing feature was discussed on an event around here, and many people thought it was a useful thing - apparently, I am the only one to post it on the board :D

I don't think it is quite hard to implement this feature - I tried it on a test database with a tiny PHP script, and it worked fine. So why should it be difficult for Groundspeak's professional programmers?

( Well, they don't have PHP, but ASP at hand ... but a discussion about that would be off-topic :) )

-nik

I'd like to see it come back too. But only it it would be implemented in a way that the note is shown from the time your write your will attend until either the event is archived, you logged a find on it or after special amount of time (one or two weeks since the event). One more thing is that it should work for all three types of events (normal, mega, CITO).

Same here. I did notice that it had disapeared, but I figured it was gone because of all the issues with it. I actually like the feature, too. It was a nice conveniant pinned reminder. Ditto on only having it back if there was a set amount of time or if it disapears after you log a find, etc. :huh:

I don't miss it . . . for what it's worth . . . :)

Plus . . . it was buggy. :huh:

Umm - am I getting something wrong or was that exactly what I mentioned in my post?

Well, I guess because it is ***Cache in*** Trash out, which by the terms very nature would mean that you find a physical cache box while attending the event. I didn't take part in a CITO yet, but that's what I think it is.

I really don't think that's the case. I've never heard of the CITO being an actual container. It's an Event, a gathering of people. If you find caches while cleaning up, you log them on their own cache pages.

I liked the idea, it was just the implementation that was the issue. As others said, I didn't mention anything about it since why worry about something that didn't work anyway?

I liked having the event reminder visible in such a way but I can see why it is the lowest of the low on the priority list.

Well if people are missing it and just haven't said so I'll go ahead and document the feature request so we can start over from scratch. I have to warn you though, there probably isn't anything lower priority than this.

Yeah, I miss it too.. thanks for putting it back on the list.

My only issue with this feature was that it only stayed for 30 days. I said I was going to attend the MWGB months ago. It would fall off way before this summer when the event takes place. If the feature is going to make a come back I would like it to stay on the page until the event takes place.

I remember this. I would prefer it showed all events within x [configurable] miles of my home coordinates with little Accept/Decline/Tentative buttons next to each. It would then hide any that you check decline for. And yes, I know about the weekly email and the notification feature. I currently use a PQ for events, but it would be nice to have a little reminder/notification all in one.

My only issue with this feature was that it only stayed for 30 days. I said I was going to attend the MWGB months ago. It would fall off way before this summer when the event takes place. If the feature is going to make a come back I would like it to stay on the page until the event takes place.

I agree completely. Letting you know which events you plan to attend is definitely a nice feature, but most of the events are months away. A 30 day listing doesn't do much good. I'd love to see it return with the listings staying on the list until the event is over.

Edited by Jennifer146

Me too. I liked the feature, and I do, in fact, miss it. I didn't like the fact that it kept the old, already attended, events on the list for some time with no way to remove them.

KRnlKilR

Frankly, I don't think anyone said anything because nothing is better than something that doesn't work.

For what it's worth (which isn't usually much), I wish it would be recoded to show upcoming events I've stated I'll attend.

Actually, London Rain brings up another issue that I had with the feature. The fact that events stayed on the list for 30 days, whether they were old - already attended, or new - not yet attended, events. I liked having a central place where I could see all of my upcoming events that I posted I would attend, but if the event was in the future, it would disappear from my list before I attened. The only way to get it back on the list was to post another "will attend" log.

I know I could use bookmarks, but this list feature would be great as it could be "self-cleaning".

KRnlKilR

I totally concur!

If this ever comes back, please PLEASE make it by following a link, preferably an invisible 1 bit image link.

Or put it at the bottom of ones Quick View of their profile. I think many more people had no use for this than those who want it.

What's so hard about clicking Caches, in ones profile then clicking 'Will Attend' to see all of the will attends one has ever written. The human brain is great at processing those that are recent and those that are years old.

I think what Groundspeaks needs to do on the next version (v4?) of GC.com is to completely rewrite the My Account page so that it is completely customizable by the site user, allowing them to turn off/on features, details, etc that they like or don't like. Then as new features are brought online, the user could turn it on from a control panel. Think modular, like the My Google or My Yahoo! sites.

Perhpas that would make everyone happy.

I think many more people had no use for this than those who want it.

You might agree that, at least in this topic, there are a lot more people who liked the feature and want it back in a working version.

Think modular, like the My Google or My Yahoo! sites.

That's the way to do it. But for a start, the old version would be fine.

I've been looking for my event list lately. Even more so tonight since I know my list of upcoming events is & will be growing and don't want to forget any. Some months out. Some on other side of country.

Found this thread instead. I too would like to see this feature return for all events I've noted I would be attending.

Thanks.

But for a start, the old version would be fine.

No, I would be fine with it if this feature never came back.

Not sure whether comments like that without giving any reason are useful in any way ...

Its very useful, That person does not want it back. They cast their vote for it not coming back. That is a useful statement. You can like or not like something without having to say why.

Edited by Michael

I'd like to add my vote to this as well. I was actually just about to post a feature request for something to be added to the main dashboard page listing upcoming events for which I have logged as "Will Attend".. It seems from this thread that this feature used to be there and was removed. I'd like to see it come back as well!

Edited by intrepidca

I liked this feature, but other people didn't. Here is my suggestion for how to implement it so that it will work for everyone.

1) When it comes back, it is by default "OFF".

2) When it comes back, include the notice of the feature in the weekly newsletter.

3) People can set the threshold for how long before AND after the event the "will attend" log shows up.

-- For instance: I would set the "will attend" at the top 14 days before (so that I remember) and 2 days after event (so that I have time to log it).

4) It would be nice to not have the "will attend" up once I have logged an "attended".

5) It would be nice to have separate values for CITO events, regular events and mega events.

Note that the "would be nice" ones wouldn't be necessary to make it work, but would be good additional features.