Gpx sonar VS cachemate

I have a pocket PC dell axim 5 with gpx sonar . ALL works well . Is there a advantage to using cachemate over gpx sonar ?

I had a palm and was using cachemate but I had to use spinner 1st before I could put on my palm

Kind of a pain . I only used the palm as a temp so I will not be going back to it

Thanks

I have a pocket PC dell axim 5 with gpx sonar . ALL works well . Is there a advantage to using cachemate over gpx sonar ?

I had a palm and was using cachemate but I had to use spinner 1st before I could put on my palm

Kind of a pain . I only used the palm as a temp so I will not be going back to it

Thanks

On the PPC, you just put the GPX file on the unit in Cachemate.

On the Palm, spinner was not required. Cachemate comes with its own GPX conversion utility.

I prefer Cachemate over Sonar.

I have a ipaq 2190. Used to use gpxsonar, switched to cachemate.

I was using ver1.5 of GPXSonar, here is a list of cons that pushed my over to cachemate

1) This version has a bug that prevents the detailed cache listing from generated and appears to lock up the program if one of the description fields is empty.

2) The program is no longer being supported.

3) On my PDA, anything above 500 waypoints/gpx file really slowed it down when loading a new gpx file, a real pain when you are travelling.

4) Can't interface a gps to it to center the listing on my actual location.

5) Everytime you switch to a different gpx file, you have to load it in, and it take a minute or two each time, a pain if your not sure which file has the cache you need to look up.

Pros

1) FREE

2) No problem with archived listings as every time you replace the gpx file, it only has active or at worst disabled listings unless your gpx file is produced by GSAK and your not actively maintaining your database(s)

CACHEMATE

cons

1) Perhaps I don't know the secret but unless you flush the old data out of the database when you load a new gpx file, you may have archived caches in your database.

2) Initially loading of gpx file into a database can take a few minutes

3) costs $8

Pros

1) The gpx file is loaded into the database once then you can switch databases with only a small delay of a few seconds

2) can feed a gps input in and center your cache list on your location, it's a manual method, ie, create a waypoint and then sort on distance from it but it does work.

3) It has on going developement so when Geocaching.com adds new features to the pocket queries, cachemate can be updated to use them.

4) using notes, can automatically log your finds on geocaching.com via GSAK

I am using a PPC.

I generate my GPX file through GSAK, and copy that file to my PPC.

I open Cachemate, and tell it to import the data.

When it completes, I only have a maximum of 7 logs per cache. Anyone know why?

When I open the same GPX file in GPX Sonar, I can see all the logs. But opening the same cache in Cachemate, I can only see up to 7.

I am talking about cache logs, not the number of caches.

Thanks for any help.

Well I have used GPXsonar for a few years now on my HP, and a year or so ago i got cachemate to see what all the fuss was about.

I really like gpxsonar, and use it mainly. I am using the latest version, and like how quickly me PQ loads. it is easy to switch between 2 or 3 when needed. also, its memory of notes goes from one gpz to another, so i f you found a cache already in another file it will show up that way in the new one. but at the same time i wish you could export all the notes from several files if you are out one day and go between a few of them to make logging easier later.

So the reason I got cachemate was i liked the cachenav feature to use my bluetooth GPS to find it. I am trying to not have to switch back and forth between the two, or make it less bulky for a quickie while out and about. However I just recently got this to actually work somewhat. and wish they had a map feature (like smache)... But I find the switching between screens to get all the info annoying although it almost feels like there is more info (but not needed for the cache). Loading gpxs are a LOT slower (but i also keep it on a memory card) and unbearable. I am not sure how to get rid of cache's that weren't updated either so i get a lot of old cache's in the database. Did I mention it hooks up to my bluetooth gps ? :laughing: one bonus of that is super easy figuring out which caches are closest to find descriptions easily. To its benefit, I was talking to a local cacher recently to get a tutorial on this program, and he is an avid hider (I am not), So i see this program as a great benefit for hiders, easy switch between databases, and also it is set up to make new cache pages on the spot.

All told, I still like GPXsonar better, but am playing with cachemate more and more. Sonar is simpler I felt, and looks like GSAK in many ways.

dougtape