It's not about the numbers...

The HERB5

Wouldn't it be better if a Multi was worth more points because it's more work.

And a Micro worth more because they're harder to find, it would be good PR for the maligned micro too :ph34r:

Why can't we get points for TB's ? I'm sure they'd move around alot more then....

And power trail caches are worth 1 divided by the number of caches in the series. I like it! ;)

And a Micro worth more because they're harder to find, it would be good PR for the maligned micro too :ph34r:

Why can't we get points for TB's ? I'm sure they'd move around alot more then....

Looks like you need KWP caching. KWP points scoring has taken the geocaching world by storm and now has... two people doing it- Kelsborrow Wayfinders and myself. You get more points for multis and puzzles, points for TB's and coins, more points the more difficult the cache and the higher the terrain and extra points the longer since the last find plus other obscure rules! In addition, you only get points for only the first 5 finds in a day and there is a separate DNF points scoring system. The idea is to encourage ourselves to do less numbers but more quality. We've been doing it a year and it does have an effect- particularly for me when I am caching out of area.

Anyone who wants to see the full scoring system, email Chas of the Kelsborrow Wayfinders or me. We post our monthly scores on our profiles. Chas beats me on his finds monthly average and I beat him on DNF's usually!

Edited by Pieman

Skydiver used to have a point system that rewarded more points for the caches least found.

The nice thing about stats and points is that there are a lot of ways to skin the cat. You may not be able to be #1 in the UK but you could be #1 in your town.

Or your total D and T could be higher than another cachers etc

Looks like you need KWP caching. KWP points scoring has taken the geocaching world by storm and now has... two people doing it- Kelsborrow Wayfinders and myself. You get more points for multis and puzzles, points for TB's and coins, more points the more difficult the cache and the higher the terrain and extra points the longer since the last find plus other obscure rules! In addition, you only get points for only the first 5 finds in a day and there is a separate DNF points scoring system. The idea is to encourage ourselves to do less numbers but more quality. We've been doing it a year and it does have an effect- particularly for me when I am caching out of area.

Anyone who wants to see the full scoring system, email Chas of the Kelsborrow Wayfinders or me. We post our monthly scores on our profiles. Chas beats me on his finds monthly average and I beat him on DNF's usually!

Bet you understand the rules to "Mornington Crescent" too :ph34r:

And a Micro worth more because they're harder to find, it would be good PR for the maligned micro too ;)

I did wonder what KWP was having looked at your profile several times, when trying to figure out your caches.

Can you post the details on here or email them to me via my profile, thanks.

And a Micro worth more because they're harder to find, it would be good PR for the maligned micro too ;)

I for one am not scoffing!

I've asked Pieman for details as it reads my thoughts exactly.

I think it would be healthy to have a scoring system which gave a premium to multis / puzzles & discounted power trails

Without recognising the different types of caches, an increasing number of people will simply go for the power trails in search of numbers & the more innovative multis / puzzles would get more & more neglected.

And given the popularity of easy caches & power trails, I'd argue most people are lured by boosting their numbers more than anything else.

And a Micro worth more because they're harder to find, it would be good PR for the maligned micro too :)

I for one am not scoffing!

I've asked Pieman for details as it reads my thoughts exactly.

I think it would be healthy to have a scoring system which gave a premium to multis / puzzles & discounted power trails

Without recognising the different types of caches, an increasing number of people will simply go for the power trails in search of numbers & the more innovative multis / puzzles would get more & more neglected.

And given the popularity of easy caches & power trails, I'd argue most people are lured by boosting their numbers more than anything else.

Ditto ditto and ditto and ive PM's pieman :huh:

We both acknowledge that the KWP points system won't work for many people but it certainly revitalised my caching last year. It actually worked even better than we hoped and has given us plenty of discussion points over the last 12 months. Getting more than 20 KWP points for a cache is always an achievment and I don't think Paul would have been mad enough to drive from coast to coast in one day if it hadn't been for the thought of setting a best KWP points total for a single cache.

It came about because in the second half of 2006 I was becoming disillusioned by the standard and type of caches being placed and realised I needed to change my general approach to caching hence the points system. It's often been said on this forum that "everyone caches by their own rules" so we thought it would be a good idea to form our own :huh: and means we have a much better way of comparing how we are getting on from month to month.

Paul only gets more DNF points than me because he does so many Team Marzipan caches. :)

I did wonder what KWP was having looked at your profile several times, when trying to figure out your caches.

Can you post the details on here or email them to me via my profile, thanks.

I'll post the rules on here later. I don't have them electronically at work so I forwarded them to my work email as I was short of time this am. Clearly, they are so controversial that they have been blocked by my company's spam filter as they haven't arrived :huh: .

Edited by Pieman

So here are the KWP rules:

Finds

5 points for a find without using the hint

3 points for using the hint

1 point if someone tells you where a cache is hidden or where you are given the exact co-ords for a puzzle.

0 points for Motorway Mayhem\A Road Anarchy\Events or more than 5 finds in a day

Add the difficulty and terrain – when it is 2 or above

Add one point for every complete month the cache has been undiscovered.

1 point for every stage of a multi including the final stage.

- add 4 points for completing with no assistance.

- add 2 points for completing using the hint or getting assistance

Bonus Points

- 3 points for finding a cache after a previous DNF

- 2 points for last in a series of 4 or more caches (where co-ords have been picked up)

- 2 points for solving a puzzle with no assistance

TBs

- 2 points for a geocoin or jeep (one coin per cache)

- 1 point for picking up a TB (one TB per cache)

- 1 point for helping it to its goal

- 5 points for completing a mission

- 0 points for picking any TB up from your own cache or any cache already visited.

DNFs

Use the inverse difficulty score (5 points for difficulty 1, 4 points for difficulty 2, 3 points for difficulty 3, 2 points for difficulty 4 , 1 point for difficulty 5)

Add 2 if it is the first DNF

Add 2 if it is down to incompetence

:huh:

.......and here was I thinking it was all about visiting new/different places with an associated "wow" factor.

Must have lost the plot somewhere......

Exactly, but if the likes of Off Yer Trolley or Motorway Madness caches get published, whose fault is it ?

The setter or the Reviewer ?

The argument of 'You don't have to find them!!!' shouldn't be an issue.

Stands back to avoid flames :huh:

.......and here was I thinking it was all about visiting new/different places with an associated "wow" factor.

Exactly, but if the likes of Off Yer Trolley or Motorway Madness caches get published, whose fault is it ?

Stands back to avoid flames :)

Better back off a bit further :huh:

Flame_Thrower.jpg

Stands back to avoid flames :huh:

I don't see it as anyone's "fault", it's everyone playing the game their own way. SOME people LIKE OYT and MM caches, for some cachers it's the only ones they can get to for whatever reason. I certainly don't see it as the reviewers job to judge on them.

You're hardly in a position to judge, either.

Stands back to avoid flames :)

I don't see it as anyone's "fault", it's everyone playing the game their own way. SOME people LIKE OYT and MM caches, for some cachers it's the only ones they can get to for whatever reason. I certainly don't see it as the reviewers job to judge on them.

You're hardly in a position to judge, either.

If someone wants to publish a crap cache then he/she should be able to do it

What the caching community should be doing is steering folk away from these types of caches & towards better quality ones - perhaps by means of a weighted scoring system.

Bit like saying we won't stop you smoking but we'll remind you about its dangers constantly, we'll charge you the earth & we'll make you stand outside in the pouring rain to enjoy it. :huh:

And how many of those have you earned?

Quite a few- if you pick the right caches :) . I seem to remember I got 18 for Sea to Shining Sea and there's 9 up for grabs on it now!

And how many of those have you earned?

Quite a few- if you pick the right caches :) . I seem to remember I got 18 for Sea to Shining Sea and there's 9 up for grabs on it now!

Sorry I was being a bit thick - I thought you meant caches which had never been discovered, i.e. FTFs after a number of months! :rolleyes: