Letterbox Hybrids

Alot of these types of caches that I have looked at seem to include some kind of stamp inside of them. Is this required? What is the stamp for?

In letterboxing you would have your own stamp that represnts you. The letterbox would have a stamp that represents the letterbox. You stamp your own log with the letterbox stamp. You stamp the letterbox log with your stamp. That's their version of a find/trade system.

So if I decide to hide a cache that relies on clues to find it rather than coordinates, but don't include this stamp in it, is it still considered a letterbox hybrid or would i just call it a mystery/puzzle cache or multi-stage?

I don't know what you'd call that.

It's not a geocache because it relies on clues rather than coordinates.

In particular, it's not a letterbox hybrid cache because it lacks a letterboxing stamp -- the distinguishing feature of this geocache type.

And it's not a letterbox, again for lack of a stamp.

You could call it a DizzleJizzleCache! :laughing:

So if I decide to hide a cache that relies on clues to find it rather than coordinates, but don't include this stamp in it, is it still considered a letterbox hybrid or would i just call it a mystery/puzzle cache or multi-stage?

It would be a multi-stage or possibly a mystery/puzzle cache so long as the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt can be demonstrated. For example if the the clues make no sense unless you first go to the coordinates listed for the cache it could be listed as an offset multi-cache. If you used the clues to find a box that had coordinates for the final in it, it would be a mystery/puzzle cache.

To be a letterbox hybrid, it MUST include a stamp. The idea being that it's cross listed on a letterboxing site (though many aren't). Also, to be published here, GPS use is essential.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#letterbox

And, if you really want torque off the boxing community get the cheapest stamp you can find. They'll rail you to no end. Of course, that's if you also post it on the boxing sites...otherwise, they likely will never find it unless someone that caches/boxes stumbles across it.

It's the funniest thing in the world listening to them go off on their group forum about geocachers that stumble across a letterbox and think it's a geocache and swap out the stamp for some swag...

It's the funniest thing in the world listening to them go off on their group forum about geocachers that stumble across a letterbox and think it's a geocache and swap out the stamp for some swag...

Yeah, it's about as funny as coming here and seeing people complaining about stolen caches. Ha ha ha. :laughing:

Edited by briansnat

/shrug

I don't get bent out of shape about...if a cache goes missing is there any real damage done? No, it's just a game, activity, hobby...whatever you want to call it.

It's just part of life...

If one of mine goes missing I'm out the 25 bucks and the hour, two or more that it takes to replace it.

Yeah, it's part of life, but I don't see the humor. Similarly, I doubt a letterboxer who spent an hour or two carving a stamp see the humor in some Bozo geocacher taking it.

Obviously you do see the humor in it. Goodie for you.

/shrug

I don't get bent out of shape about...if a cache goes missing is there any real damage done? No, it's just a game, activity, hobby...whatever you want to call it.

If one of mine goes missing I'm out the 25 bucks and the hour, two or more that it takes to replace it.

Yeah, it's part of life, but I don't see the humor. Similarly, I doubt a letterboxer who spent an hour or two carving a stamp see the humor in some Bozo geocacher taking it.

Obviously you do see the humor in it. Goodie for you.

Yes, I do...when my first cache went missing I smiled about it and made a better effort the next time. There are things worth getting bent out of shape over and things that aren't....a couple hours stamp carving or couple bucks out of pocket on a cache...nbd, imo.

Alot of these types of caches that I have looked at seem to include some kind of stamp inside of them. Is this required? What is the stamp for?

In letterboxing you would have your own stamp that represnts you. The letterbox would have a stamp that represents the letterbox. You stamp your own log with the letterbox stamp. You stamp the letterbox log with your stamp. That's their version of a find/trade system.

There already exists such a game; it is called geocaching. Play it or leave it.

/shrug

It should not be just part of life. If you spend a lot of time making up a cache and figuring someting unique then if it disappears , yes, it is a big deal. Play fair!!!!!!