GPS a Driving Distraction?

Team_LPD

This story evolved from a bit on the news the other day. A tractor-trailer driver attempted to drive his rig under a very well marked low bridge. According to the driver.....he was paying attention to his GPS instead of paying attention to the height restrictions.

GPS a Driving Distraction?

Monday, January 14, 4:33 p.m.

By Josh Brogadir

There was yet another tractor-trailer that became stuck under the bridge on Oak Street in Scranton Sunday. The driver from California told police he didn't see the warning signs. He said he was trying to follow his global positioning system, or GPS, and didn't see the height restrictions.

Authorities said drivers should be able to use GPS devices and follow street signs at the same time.

"There are multiple warning signs posted on both sides of the bridge notifying drivers of the low clearance. In this particular case the driver says he was paying attention to his GPS system and not paying attention to the road," said Patrolman Cord Mickavicz of the Taylor Police Department.

GPS devices are more popular now than ever before for helping drivers get where they need to go, assuming they keep their eyes on the road along the way.

Trooper Bill Satkowski said technically it is against the law to have a GPS attached to a dashboard or window.

"We would recommend that they put it in such a spot where it's not obstructing their vision. So a good spot for it would be by the inspection sticker or anywhere that it's low enough, almost sitting on the dash," Satkowski explained.

He added that GPS units don't need to be a distraction. Most of them talk and if programmed beforehand, drivers shouldn't have to fiddle with the screen as they drive.

Jim McCluskey has been behind the wheel of a truck for 30 years and using a GPS for the last decade.

He relies on his older style GPS and looks at the street signs to make sure the groceries in his truck get where they need to go.

"I mean you've got to be aware anyway. If you're driving for a living, you've got to be aware what you're doing anyway, so. It's just a machine, it's just like us, we're humans, we're not perfect," McCluskey said.

Police said the driver of the truck was not hurt in the crash but he was cited.

Troopers also said drivers should be aware of the "smash and grab" allure of the devices. They are a huge draw for thieves in parking lots so it's best to keep them out of sight.

This story evolved from a bit on the news the other day. A tractor-trailer driver attempted to drive his rig under a very well marked low bridge. According to the driver.....he was paying attention to his GPS instead of paying attention to the height restrictions.

I live about a hour south of you in Cressona, PA we have a overhead Railroad bridge here that gets a tractor trailer at least once a month the best record was 3 in one week. They have warning signs out 2 miles in advance, The bridge is painted a bright neon green, along with flashing lights 100 yds before it(one trucker admitted the bridge got him once before DUHHH). I guess my point is it doesn't matter what kind of warnings are in place. People are bound to screw up its a fact. I believe that if you properly place your gps so that you don't have divert your full attention from the road and avoid making entries while moving you wont have any issues.

The media (and people) like to blame things like cell phones, eating, etc. but the fact of the matter is, it's the fault of whoever is driving. If you place your priorities on a cell phone/whatever while you're driving, you're bound to have an accident. You just have to put your priorities on the road and all the extras come next. When you do that, they're not a distraction at all. No one is outlawing radios, tvs, or IMHO the biggest distraction of all, kids. Our three kids can cause more of a distraction for me than all the other items combined, at times.

I'd say for me it depends what I am doing with the GPS while I'm driving. If I've got a route set it's no more of an issue than checking the speedometer. On the other hand if I am geocaching while driving and trying to pick my next cache and then trying to decide if I should go over this way and cross the railroad tracks to grab that other cache before I head downtown, well then I'd say it's quite a distraction and my wife hates it when I do that. If I just pick my next cache and follow the GPS to it it's no problem IMO.

The answer to that problem would be to go to the poi-factory website and download the file for all of the low overpasses in the USA. The driver would then get a verbal warning at whatever distance he wanted to set.

I agree completely. He could have downloaded low overpass warnings. Assuming he had a GPS unit capable of loading them onto it.... AND... that the guy knew how to do it.

Not everyone is as smart as "us".... the members of forums such as this.

But you don't have to be a GPS GURU to use some common sense for goodness sake !

If you're driving along and pulling a 13'6" trailer, and see a sign that says "Warning - Low Bridge 12'6" "

than it is YOUR fault if you still drive under it, ebev if the "GPS didn't warn me."

How about the idiot who turned onto railroad tracks because his GPS "supposedly" told him to ?

I've been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER had to drive down railroad tracks for any reason.

Common Sense.... Common Sense... Common Sense...

The answer to that problem would be to go to the poi-factory website and download the file for all of the low overpasses in the USA. The driver would then get a verbal warning at whatever distance he wanted to set.

I agree completely. He could have downloaded low overpass warnings. Assuming he had a GPS unit capable of loading them onto it.... AND... that the guy knew how to do it.

Not everyone is as smart as "us".... the members of forums such as this.

But you don't have to be a GPS GURU to use some common sense for goodness sake !

If you're driving along and pulling a 13'6" trailer, and see a sign that says "Warning - Low Bridge 12'6" "

than it is YOUR fault if you still drive under it, ebev if the "GPS didn't warn me."

How about the idiot who turned onto railroad tracks because his GPS "supposedly" told him to ?

I've been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER had to drive down railroad tracks for any reason.

I have also had my GPS tell me turn the wrong way down one-way streets..... what did I do ? DUH !

I payed attention to the road signs. GPS units are great but they are not perfect, roads change, street directions change, and humans make mistakes.

Not everyone is as smart as "us".... the members of forums such as this. :)

I have also had my GPS tell me turn the wrong way down one-way streets..... what did I do ? DUH !

I payed attention to the road signs. GPS units are great but they are not perfect, roads change, street directions change, and humans make mistakes.

Well that's only a partial solution. I'd still hope a driver would look out of his windshield for obstacles and obstructions. Great if the GPSr warning buzzer tells him a low bridge is coming up. Better still if a GPSr could be programmed to automatically avoid choosing a route that is unusable for his particular vehicle.

Still though, best if the driver jost pays attention! and doesn't blame other things for his lack of focus. For example I'd hate to think a truck driver would be alert for kids only at zones the GPSr is warning to be a school zone. Best if the driver ALWAYS looks for a kid chasing a wayward ball acrosss the street.