Question about leaving stuff in caches

matt95z

Hi-

I am new to all of this, found our first five caches this weekend. We didn't have anything to leave so we didn't take anything from them. I am a collector of live/legal concert recordings from various bands (Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Phish, etc.). These are generally fan recordings and some of them sound pretty good. The rules for these recordings are that they may be given away or traded as long as they are not in MP3 format. Would it be acceptable to leave these type of recordings in caches (burnt to CD) with a short note as to what they are? I only ask because I have read that leaving burnt copies of CDs is not a good thing.

Thanks

Matt

I'm not certain that very many bands allow the recording of thier live concerts by any fans. Doesn't sound all that legal to me.

Having said that - I will not take home brew cd recordings - just in case. Got to be the original in a cd case.

It is a perfectly legal hobby supported by many bands actually.

Some examples:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php

http://www.davematthewsband.com/legal/index.html

That being said, I would leave the CD in a case with a link to the website and the text of the legal document.

I am a music teacher and LOVER, but I am not familiar with what you are talking about.

If you can verify that it is completely legal, and maybe include something on the front of the CD case, I would love to find new music to listen toin a cache.

I am skeptical about the legality issue as well, and the trouble would be telling the legit copies from the illegal ones.

I am the original poster (matt95z) I didn't realize I was signed on under my old screen name.

I know it is a strange concept to most that have never heard about it but it really is cool. I have been to quite a few concerts where bands allow taping. When you go you see microphone stands sticking up in the air 12 or 14 feet. It really is a cool thing to see.

The biggest things the bands are concerned about is the selling of the music after it is taped. That is the big no no of the whole situation. I am an avid searcher of eBay for these bootlegs that people try to sell. I find them and report them.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistake.

Edited by the_hugos

I have been to a few concerts where the bands will let you record too, so that is not my concern.

Eddie From Ohio for instance (a folk group from here on the mid-atlantic coast) actually let you plug into the sound board for a better recording. They were interested in exposure more than anything else.

I love the idea - just worried about others who might pass off illegal copies, which would look very similar to yours.

Is there any way to tell them apart??

Edited by kraushad

Is there any way to tell them apart??

Not really other than the piece of paper that would be given with the recording explaining the taping policy and the notes from the taper as the example below:

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds

2007-03-10

Paradiso

Amsterdam

The Netherlands

Taper : BNZ

Source : at831 - SP-SPSB-8 (Bass Roll-off at 107 HZ) - Edirol R09 at 44.1 Khz

Transfer : SD card > SDslot > PC > Soundforge 8.0 > Cdwave > Shorten > SHN

Total Time: 149:54 min

01. Bartender [09:22]

02. Stay Or Leave [04:53]

03. Save Me [04:52]

04. So dadgum Lucky [06:27]

05. Old Dirt Hill [06:17]

06. Lie In Our Graves [09:03]

07. Smooth Rider [05:28]

08. Crush [08:06]

09. Grey Street [05:22]

10. The Maker [05:21]

11. Little Thing [05:18]

12. Jimi Thing [07:34]

13. Tim Solo [05:42]

14. Gravedigger [04:52]

15. Grace Is Gone [05:29]

16. Oh [05:15]

17. #41 [06:31]

18. Crash Into Me [05:54]

19. Dancing Nancies [11:27]

20. Some Devil [04:54]

21. Still Water [02:32]

22. Don’t Drink the Water [07:59]

23. Sister [04:02]

24. Two Step [07:13]

Do not sell, do not convert to lossy formats, do not remaster ect ect.

Enjoy !!

...I am a collector of live/legal concert recordings from various bands (Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Phish, etc.). These are generally fan recordings and some of them sound pretty good. The rules for these recordings are that they may be given away or traded as long as they are not in MP3 format. Would it be acceptable to leave these type of recordings in caches (burnt to CD) with a short note as to what they are? ...

If they are legal, you are good to go. I don't know the rules on fan recordings and most folks won't. So a note with the CD would be advisable. It would not hurt to put that note inside the CD itself so that someone who passes it along without the note can find it.

...I am a collector of live/legal concert recordings from various bands (Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Phish, etc.). These are generally fan recordings and some of them sound pretty good. The rules for these recordings are that they may be given away or traded as long as they are not in MP3 format. Would it be acceptable to leave these type of recordings in caches (burnt to CD) with a short note as to what they are? ...

If they are legal, you are good to go. I don't know the rules on fan recordings and most folks won't. So a note with the CD would be advisable. It would not hurt to put that note inside the CD itself so that someone who passes it along without the note can find it.

I may try it a few times and see if anyone comments. Thanks everyone!