BOOKMARK LISTING,EXTREME/PHYSICAL CACHES

Following a number of requests I thought it was time to collate a listing of this small niche of caches that involves a physical challenge or dare.

This could be a climb/descent,dive or jump or maybe just a very difficult physical move or squeeze..

difficulty and terrain grade levels would probably have to be at least grade 3 .

Please note the following criteria.

1] Inclusion is based purely on the physical aspect of the challenge and not on how mentaly challenging the cache is.

Thats not to say that these should not be included, but only if they conform to the criteria stated i.e the challenge should involve a degree of risk.

2] The fact that the cache is a long walk away or on top of a mountain is irrelevant.

unless of course it is located on a steep cliff face involving an exposed climb.

3]Difficult puzzle caches will be excluded from the listing as this is more of a 'Brawn than Brain' listing and ideally they should be readily accessable to all.

4] Please let me know if you have any caches that you would like included, there must be loads of them !

Initially if you look up 'A Bridge Too Far ' GC124HF and click on the bookmark listing you you will get to the site!

5] My p.c skills are limited and I may require some assistance from you guys if it does not all work out!

thanks in anticipation!!

CACHE U NUTTER :unsure::):):D:):)

----- EXTREME BOOKMARKING LIST

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ae-e0f56c7c6c5c

Edited by Cache U Nutter

A list already exists here.

I think the Nutter is trying to separate the harder ones out from our list.

The problem with the rating system is that it becomes almost useless at a certain level like Ben Nevis has to be a 5 terrain but dont look down also has to be a 5 terrain one you can walk to the other needs climbing equipment.

mark and lynn are correct, this is a listing that only includes those physical extreme challenges.

It is no substute for their very good listing as many of the caches in my listing are not 4/4 grade but involve maybe a 'scary challenge' that could be of interest to a number of hard nuts !

I have specifically excluded hill walks, mountains as there are too many intangable elements involved. i.e weather conditions, personal experience and physical fitness/ energy levels. Believe me having completed half the Munroes [in Winter] I know these are a challenge!

Hope the link is now working o.k

Map to follow [with kind assistance of andy33]

:unsure::):):D:)

Edited by Cache U Nutter

Ah OK, sounds like it will be an interesting list?

Has already created some interest [from the reviewers !!]

<<<snipped to save the mods doing it>>>

I would guess its not the reviewers but other people who have noticed this one and raised their concerns.

More a matter for private emails between you and them though than this forum.

Have you looked at the two i linked yet ??

<<<snipped to save the mods doing it>>>

I would guess its not the reviewers but other people who have noticed this one and raised their concerns.

More a matter for private emails between you and them though than this forum.

Have you looked at the two i linked yet ??

Have corresponded with reviewer and agree with the descision , and why it had to be made.

Re : ''a bridge too far' which you suggested . Hell these are very subjective descisions but on this one I say no as the cache description refers to a 'steep walk'

Re 'Jonah's journey' well yes as a climb is involved by the sound of it.

May well be wrong and may be pusuaded otherwise!! :laughing::antenna::antenna:

The Bradda Lode II and The Money Pit have seen some struggles! Both require some difficult scrambling: the former is not for those with claustrophobia and without a head for heights.

Both look good, but sorry do not qualify as

a] there is a footpath to the top for the first and

b] would have been selected if the cache involved a climb down to the pit.

I note that they are included in Mark & lynns listing however

From my memory of the I.O.M there are some very steep cliffs just outside Douglas [remember running along the coast road training for a marathon once]

Maybe an abseil down the cliff to place a cache?!!!

All the best

Andy

:unsure::unsure::lol:

Resubbmitting A bridge to far you are missing something.

Perhaps a glance at the gallery or a google earth satelite image will help.

The description refers to the collection of caches rather than this individual one.

The ammo box is not hidden at all and when you get past the defences it will be in plain view. However it is well defended - like an ancient fort and you will need special equipment to get to it. The things that I used have been left just after a tree called Jim

From my memory of the I.O.M there are some very steep cliffs just outside Douglas [remember running along the coast road training for a marathon once]

All the best

Andy

:):D:D

Well, it's your list! But a] does require climbing down a big cliff via a cave...and b] needs vertical climbing...

How about A Walk in the Dark?

The route to the entrance is more difficult than actually getting in and finding the cache. I ended up hurtling down the slope on my rear end heading for the river, which is about 30 feet below the entrance, stopped just in time. Really scary if you suffer from arachnophobia as well.

The spider is on the top left of the picture

a628ed67-23c1-4042-a461-ff2ecb9ec851.jpg

2 in this picture.

161eeecd-a740-405d-896f-7b7582fe5f9d.jpg

I'm just pleased I hadn't seen the pictures before going.

The description refers to the collection of caches rather than this individual one.

The ammo box is not hidden at all and when you get past the defences it will be in plain view. However it is well defended - like an ancient fort and you will need special equipment to get to it. The things that I used have been left just after a tree called Jim

checking the eligability of this cache for the listing, is it scary enough to be included for this special listing of particularly challenging caches?

All the best

Andy

:):):)

Well, it's your list! But a] does require climbing down a big cliff via a cave...and b] needs vertical climbing...

Does the 'vertical climbing' require use of a rope /ladder ?

There are many caches in the hills and mountains that require very steep scrambles and climbs which I have discounted unless they specifically requre the use of a rope for climbing or abseiling.

How about A Walk in the Dark?

The route to the entrance is more difficult than actually getting in and finding the cache. I ended up hurtling down the slope on my rear end heading for the river, which is about 30 feet below the entrance, stopped just in time. Really scary if you suffer from arachnophobia as well.

The spider is on the top left of the picture

a628ed67-23c1-4042-a461-ff2ecb9ec851.jpg

2 in this picture.

161eeecd-a740-405d-896f-7b7582fe5f9d.jpg

I'm the use of just pleased I hadn't seen the pictures before going.

I am really sorry Haggis hunter, but unless I can be pursuaded otherwise I cannot include it as according to the cache description it really is just 'A walk in the dark'!

If it involved the use of special equipment or involved a swim or climb/ squeeze then I would reconsider.

After all many caches are walked at night by torch light!

They clearly did'nt like the look of wozzat and garyhoneys back sides as they have now archived 'GROUND RUSH' GC17YDG http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c6-f006a0387f97

:):):):):)

Nanny state takes over geocaching. If this is the case then surly the caches on Helvellyn should have been disabled, as should all dangerous caches when they are dangerous. As to the position of drivers seening cachers on the approach risk assesssment seems to show no accidents have been caused or cachers seen. Another case of jump just in case rather than a correct assessment and look at the actual risks. IMHO.

Nanny state takes over geocaching. If this is the case then surly the caches on Helvellyn should have been disabled, as should all dangerous caches when they are dangerous. As to the position of drivers seening cachers on the approach risk assesssment seems to show no accidents have been caused or cachers seen. Another case of jump just in case rather than a correct assessment and look at the actual risks. IMHO.

What risk assessment?

I was planning on doing this cache myself sometime soon - as I do like a good cachew nut cache (thanks to sadexploration for that particular joke!) :unsure: but I can certainly see the reviewers issue with it. The pictures quite clearly show heads above the edge of the 'crash barrier', which may or may not distract them. What is certain (and in no way is this supposed to be imply the cache is responsible) is that the relevent stretch of the M25 is a particular accident black spot - trying to prove or disprove that these are due to the cahe is an impossibility, but obviously we should do everything we can to ensure this doesn't happen.

The difference between this cache and Helvellyn is that the only people at risk on Helvellyn are the ill-prepared cacher (or even the well prepared cacher) but you get my meaning. Apart from any rescue teams, no one else is being put at risk...

the nutter hasn't aired his views on that particular cache, but considering all his others are still perfectly acceptable, i'm sure he can see the point! :blink:

... and as was suggested during correspondence about this cache, if the cache owner could provide evidence of permission from the landowner of the bridge i.e. the Highways Agency, then as long as they were happy with the placement the cache could stand.

We have no problem with cachers putting themselves at risk but in a location such as this where there is a distinct possibility of distraction taking place we are not going to wait for an accident to happen before taking action. To do so would be highly irresponsible. We are the last people you should accuse of introducing "nanny state" thinking into geocaching. :unsure:

Have corresponded with 'THE TIME LORD' [have always wanted too !]]

and will certainly include this cache. Furthermore this cache owner should be commited!!! B)B)B)B)

Have corresponded with 'THE TIME LORD' [have always wanted too !]]

and will certainly include this cache. Furthermore this cache owner should be commited!!! :grin::D:D:D

Thank you. though it fitted the bill whereas one of mine :yikes: does not.

I have a plan though :yikes:

Here are 2 caches of interest to the geocaching community in tribute to our 2 former esteemed reviewers :--

Eckington Towers

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...77-a4c4ce566370

and Lactodorum Towers

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4a-725c793203bd

Deceangi, if you have any similar retirement ideas [don't even think about it ] but please drop me a line so I can be on the look out for suitable 'extreme' caches venues !

Eckington at his retirement 'event ' cache presented me with a special geocoin that he wanted me to put in his 'tribute' cache.

So what are you waiting for ?

:P:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D