Logs about NEEDING CITO

:unsure: While searching for caches to find, I've noticed logs that state "COULD USE SOME CITO"

grrr.... instead of typing that, why don't these posters just.... ummm....DO SOME CITO!!!! Lazy lazy lazy.

Your thoughts? Similar experiences...etc...

Yeah...I know...this is an inflammatory post but I'm trying to get into the heads of cachers that log this.

What about PNG caches?

If you take the time to tell somebody else that there's trash at a cache site, you have time to pick up trash. Why is it the cache owner's responsibility to keep the hide clean? Aren't we (as environmentally conscientious cachers) supposed to do our part? Or is the smiley the only thing we're after? The numbers game? ...sigh.....

Edited by cowcreekgeeks
Maybe the cachers didn't bring a trash bag. It's also one way to tell the hider his/her hiding area is getting trashy in the hopes he/she will have some pride and do the CITO.
I agree. I don't think most cachers walk around with large trash bags and gloves.

We actually do carry large trash bags and even a burlap type one for gathering trash like bottles and such in case they break. On one of our recent logs we did mention a cache area needing a CITO but it was in the context of an event.

When we mentioned it in our log we also volunteered to help so maybe some cachers are just letting the cache owner know that they would be willing to help?

I carry some smaller bags (the type used for dog droppings) in my kit - there are some nice compact systems that are available (they also make great impromptu gloves). The problem is, they aren't all that big. So I might hit a cache, pick up a bag or two, and if that doesn't clean it up will make a comment for other cachers to be prepared. So, such a log just may indicate an area that needs more than one cacher to CITO.

Maybe the cachers didn't bring a trash bag. It's also one way to tell the hider his/her hiding area is getting trashy in the hopes he/she will have some pride and do the CITO.
I agree. I don't think most cachers walk around with large trash bags and gloves.

We actually do carry large trash bags and even a burlap type one for gathering trash like bottles and such in case they break. On one of our recent logs we did mention a cache area needing a CITO but it was in the context of an event.

When we mentioned it in our log we also volunteered to help so maybe some cachers are just letting the cache owner know that they would be willing to help?

I've always thought it would be nice if there were a CITO cache type. You could put plastic bags and gloves inside and place these caches in areas that need a lot of help, but not enough to warrant a CITO event. Edited by TrailGators

There have been a couple threads mentioning CITO and caches. I followed one idea, and bought a box of kitchen size trash bags, rolled and rubber banded them, and left them in many caches over a several month period.

Not long ago it was suggested, and I regretable do not remember who did so, that a quick trip to the dollar store be used to obtain both trash bags (stay with smaller, the folks came to cache) and a box of inexpensive plastic gloves. Roll the bag, insert into glove, leave a couple for future cachers. Use one on your way out.

Not only have you provided cachers the trash bag, but a glove to protect their hand from fire ants, spiders, or waste. And cachers can continue to help our reputation with our actions.

for a while I was leaving a 35MM film canister stuffed with a carefully folded small trash bag and a plastic glove along with a note which could be read through the container that said they could be used for CITO, and wouldn't it be nice to pick up a couple pieces of trash on the way back to the car, or how picking up trash was good exercise, etc.

minicito.jpg

they were very unpopular.

heh.. sad but true.

I've left "need CITO" logs before, even in areas where the gf and I have CITO'd a couple bags of stuff. For me, it's mostly to let others know the area is pretty trashed. There are plenty of areas with caches that would take a team of dozens a full day or two to clean up.

That could also be a way to say that a location is krud to begin with. Many lacations of PNGs or LPCs will always need CITO, and therefore may not be the best place for a Cache to begin with IMHO

This has been my experience as well. Some hiders seem to think that it is "fun" to place caches in what has become an impromptu trash dump, and then heading off criticism of the site by saying it needs some CITO. My reaction is usually to wonder why the hider has thought I would want to go there. Most likely their cache ends up on my ignore list.

That could also be a way to say that a location is krud to begin with. Many lacations of PNGs or LPCs will always need CITO, and therefore may not be the best place for a Cache to begin with IMHO

This has been my experience as well. Some hiders seem to think that it is "fun" to place caches in what has become an impromptu trash dump, and then heading off criticism of the site by saying it needs some CITO. My reaction is usually to wonder why the hider has thought I would want to go there. Most likely their cache ends up on my ignore list.

What the original poster doesn't realize is that the majority of "thin skinned" cachers happen to hide caches in nasty areas. Any comment placed on the cache page mentioning the trash dump, bum outhouse, or any other problems, will get your log deleted in spite. Mentioning that the area needs CITO is a codeword for a nasty location. :unsure:

for a while I was leaving a 35MM film canister stuffed with a carefully folded small trash bag and a plastic glove along with a note which could be read through the container that said they could be used for CITO, and wouldn't it be nice to pick up a couple pieces of trash on the way back to the car, or how picking up trash was good exercise, etc.

minicito.jpg

they were very unpopular.

heh.. sad but true.

I've left "need CITO" logs before, even in areas where the gf and I have CITO'd a couple bags of stuff. For me, it's mostly to let others know the area is pretty trashed. There are plenty of areas with caches that would take a team of dozens a full day or two to clean up.

Hey,

When I found em, I used em!!! I thought they were a great idea!!!

Back to the op...I usually carry something with me for a little CITO while caching...but i have posted similar statements in my logs...

"...area could use a little CITO..." typing it doesn't say I didn't do it and want eveyone else to make up for my not doing it...saying just means it be nice if maybe a couple fellow cachers would nab a peice of garbage or two while out at the cache area...there was just to much for one person to pick up...especially if I am on the road and need to be somewhere at a certain time :unsure: (I know we have all cached like that at times...nab a cache while going to work, while on lunch, while on the road to a meeting...etc)!!!

I just view those statements are nice, friendly reminders!!!

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I usually carry an empty grocery store plastic bag with me. Any time I find trash I place it in the bag and carry it out, even if I don't specifically mention it in my log. When I mention the need for CITO it means that I alone was not able to clean the site and that future cachers would hopefully come prepared with an empty bag.

When I found em, I used em!!!

That's good to hear someone did. The few caches I revisted where they had been left, none had been used many months later, and several had just been opened with the contents pulled out and left in the cache as more trash, which made me feel bad since thats obviously the opposite of the intent.

If people use them, I think they are a good idea for solving the problem in the OP. No reason not to cito a bit when you don't have the excuse of not having a bag along. I've used these canisters when I found them in other areas, which is why I was also leaving them for a while.

I still think "needs CITO" is a good thing to log, because if enough people log it, people are more likely to be prepared for a bit of CITO when they visit, and perhaps even consider the area for an event.

Thanks for practicing CITO Archer, though I'd assume you would since I first met you at a CITO event. :laughing:

why don't these posters just.... ummm....DO SOME CITO!!!!

It's been my experience that when I see a "Needs CITO" note, the person who posted it did do what CITO they could.

Ditto. Many of us will do some CITO on the spot if we can, but often there's more that needs doing. I know some cachers who usually carry a bag and automatically CITO at any cache that needs it (Mrs. Shop99er comes to mind - you go, girl!). But as others mentioned, posting a note is also a great way of letting the owner know there's a problem, in case they don't know or something has changed.

What the original poster doesn't realize is that the majority of "thin skinned" cachers happen to hide caches in nasty areas. Any comment placed on the cache page mentioning the trash dump, bum outhouse, or any other problems, will get your log deleted in spite. Mentioning that the area needs CITO is a codeword for a nasty location. :ph34r:
There is a lot of truth in this. I also agree with the others that said that many people do pick up trash. Many people don't mention it in their logs because they are not looking for brownie points....

While I am relatively new to this form of OCD, the friends that got me started basically said pick up what you can and if you think the area is special, then let others know that perhaps they should bring a bag with them when they are out hunting. That's what I've been doing. The whole CITO mantra is actually something I like about the sport. My kids collect the bottle money and I get to order a larger trash can at home. :drama:

Our family always tries to do some CITO when we go on caching days. I find the majority of these opportunities are when seeking microcaches placed along the roadway. We just make a habit of taking a kitchen-sized trash bag and gloves with us when we go. (It also makes for good cover to muggles!) I do post on the log that we did the CITO - not to earn brownie points but to let other cachers know/see how easy it is in the hopes that more will opt to do so.

:o