Is there proper protocol...?

teosvengali

Is there proper protocol in asking for help in trying to find a cache? Obviously I don't want exact directions - that would take 'the fun of the hunt' out of it. Granted I am a newbie, but I have gone back twice for two separate caches hidden by the same owner. Obviously the owner takes pride in placing their caches so they are not easily seen and I commend them for that. At the same time, I am stubborn and I am never going to get on with finding other caches until I locate these. I just need a little "you're getting warmer" type help.

I can tell you these were both micro caches. Now that I have read some of the forum items I see that I made a mistake as a newbie looking for micros right away. On a positive note I did find two other caches both placed by a different owner. They were both pretty easy but gratifying as this was my day out in the field.

Lastly, I did send a message to the owner but I have not heard a response yet. Any suggestions? I am wondering: is it foolish to send messages to others who have found the cache in the past asking for further clues (and, yes, I have read every log entry for both items hoping to glean a spoiler)?

Thanks for letting me ramble. I know I'm going to love "THIS", and as you can see I'm already obsessing over it.

Generally speaking, it is up to the owner as to whether or not you should gety addtional help. Keep in mind that life happens and the owner may not be able to respond quickly to your request. Give them time. Wait a week or 2 and then make another gentle request. If they don't respond, take that as your hint. Log your DNF logs for your previous visits and move on.

I know as a cache hider, that I don't want others giving hints to my caches. Should be up to me to decide what extra help is warranted. I get upset when I hear previous finders gave away the location somehow. I will generally give hints if asked.

I have contacted the owner before and have redeived hints that have helped. What really seems to work for me is having a different pair of eyes with me. There was a cache in my neighborhood I went to 3 different times and was unable to find. I brought my daughters the 4th time and my youngest found it as soon as we walked up. Sometimes I get too focused on the title or the clue and forget that the GPS is only accurate to about 20-30 feet and that I have to expand my search area.

Hope this helps.

If you are uncomfortable asking for hints, you can start by reading previous logs. Sometimes they can give a hint as to where it may be or what it might look like. Whenever I am out alone and I can't find a cache, especially micros, I don't return without my gf. She is much better at finding discreet hides than I am, so she has a chance to find some herself!!! She is so helpful.

I am relatively new and had a very similar issue as yours example. Lots of DNF's and reported maintenance issues with a cache I had looked very long and hard for.

Emailed the owner and never got a reply.

Sometime later I got a congratulatory email from an owner of a nearby cache as I scored First to Find on their cache and it was also my first FTF.

As these players had logged a find for my problem DNF cache, I asked if they minded giving a little help - at least to give opinion if it was still there.

They assured me it was there (perhaps damaged) and assured me that I was very warm and looking in the right place and said it was truly a hard find. They declined to give me a specific clue as they did not want to ruin the fun of a tough find for me, unless I really needed more help after one more attempt.

That all seems fair to me.

If the cache owner wants to ignore you or play hard-ball, and it is really that important to you, just email a previous finder or twelve until one of them responds with the assistance that you need. Otherwise, I'd forget about finding 'the geocache of the century' and try for some others.

And oh yeah, I'd advise keeping all further actions in this regard to yourself. You don't need anyone's permission or concurrence.

If you are going to ask the owner for a gentle nudge, I think it helps if you post a DNF when you look for a cache and don't find it. Folks like to know that you tried to find the cache before asking for help. And most folks are willing to help out a new cacher with some ideas to try, at least.

As a new cacher, you shouldn't expect to find all the caches you look for the first time, especially if they are a bit tricky. We started out on micros, and I personally don't find them that difficult, but when I was new every cache was more challenging than it is now.

I've found that cache owners are more willing to help out if you tell them all the places you looked already when you email them. That way, they know you were there, and they can see how your thought process might have gone wrong. It lets them give you a hint without spoiling your fun.