First Cach

Broncoguy

It's acceptable if you get permission and don't make it too invasive. For example, don't put the cache behind the business or residential. It's difficult to say how many visitors the cache will get as that depends on remoteness, difficulty level, cache density in the area, etc...

I see you don't have any finds or hides. I strongly recommend you grab a few finds before placing your first hide - I'd say 25 with varying difficulty and terrain levels.

Good luck and welcome to geocaching.

Perfectly fine if you get the right permission - also make it clear to nearby property owners what might be happenning. Some cachers avoid private homes but others like such hides.

I think I'll find some first. That will give me a better learning of what others are doing. Thanks for the tips.

Is there some special redeeming reason to put a cache there? I always enjoy the fact that someone has brought me to a novel location or something very scenic. Two of my least favorite finds involved a dumpster with a plastic bottle that had spilled tabasco sauce in it (yes, I'm sure it was the cache) and under a bench outside a strip mall. In my mind, I wondered why the owners wanted to bring me there.

Is placing a cach on private property a good idea? How much traffic is normal if I get permision ?

Placing a geocache on private property is not a good idea. There is no 'normal' amount of traffic. Placing a cache on private property will of course discourage visits from cachers who get 'creeped out' at such locations. This will have an immeasurable but real affect upon your number of visitors.

Cachers who don't mind going onto private property?...........not so much. :unsure:

Everytime that The Team comes to one of these locations, even when the cache owner has declared that the property owner knows and has given his blessing, we look it over carefully and more often than not......The Team shines it on.

Typically during the first days/weeks after a cache being published there is relatively high activity. This falls off pretty dramatically thereafter. This will of course vary somewhat depending upon location and weather.

Edited by Team Cotati

For me, seeing a specific statement in the cache listing makes me SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable going to a cache on private property.

I recently found one that even had a wireless doorbell button in it, and asked you to ring the doorbell when you found the cache so the owner could come outside and meet you :unsure:

For me, seeing a specific statement in the cache listing makes me SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable going to a cache on private property.

I recently found one that even had a wireless doorbell button in it, and asked you to ring the doorbell when you found the cache so the owner could come outside and meet you :)

Reason #4 to shine-on a cache: "so the owner could come outside and meet you" :unsure::D:)