commercial applications

O Crew

Jeremy, long time geocacher, first time wherigoer.

Will it be possible to build and host Wherigo cartridges on my own site or would I be required to post to Wherigo? Could I charge for the files on my own site? Thanks.

O Crew,

Due to the evolving nature of the platform, it is not possible to host or sell Wherigo cartridges on your own site. This may change in the future but we have not yet reached a final decision on those points yet.

The current End User License Agreement (EULA) for Wherigo prohibits commercial use of the Wherigo software without permission from Groundspeak. It does not specifically prohibit sharing of cartridges, although it does prohibit sharing of the Wherigo software. While we do reserve the right to change the EULA, we have no plans to prohibit non-commercial sharing of cartridges.

O Crew, you are welcome to host your Wherigo cartridges on a website you own so long as you are not charging for the cartridges or otherwise generating revenue from the website.

WalruZ, you are welcome to email your Wherigo cartridges to a friend.

Hi all.

I realise that not a great deal has changed over the last 18months but wanted to see if there were any changes in this situation? Firstly, I can't find the EULA, can someone point me in the right direction as there is nothing on Wherigo.com that i've seen.

Secondly, this is a potentially great platform for commercial applications. What is the likely scenario if someone were interested in creating paid for cartridges?

If you've already installed the Builder, you can find it in the same directory. The EULA file name is "Wherigo EULA 12-24-07 (V1-0).rtf". You agreed to it when installing the Builder, if I'm not mistaken.

You can also find the Wherigo site EULA by browsing to any page at Wherigo.com and looking at the very bottom of the page. The EULA is that hyperlink on the line "Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the Groundspeak Terms of Use and Privacy Statement."

I've often wondered about the quality differences between pay-to-play and free cartridges. I would strongly suggest the developer of the first pay-to-play cart offer a free trial version that takes the player to the first few zones, then says, "To complete the rest of this cartridge, please download the full version at Wherigo.com."

Thanks, I found the one linked from the bottom of each page but this doesn't mention anything commercial.

Now i've had a proper read of the EULA it clearly states that you cannot charge without their consent. We'll have to think more about this and maybe talk it over with Groundspeak. Unless a Lacky come across this and can quickly say what sort of system they would expect in place for permission to be granted...?!?

EULA_street.jpg I pass by EULA all the time on my way to work. I snapped a picture of it this morning.

If you're serious about pursuing this, I'll notify Groundspeak someone is asking. I know this has been discussed off the forums before, but the site didn't enter the picture during that time, so I don't know what code they have in place.

I pass by EULA all the time on my way to work. I snapped a picture of it this morning.

If you're serious about pursuing this, I'll notify Groundspeak someone is asking. I know this has been discussed off the forums before, but the site didn't enter the picture during that time, so I don't know what code they have in place.

If you could. At the moment I'm just investigating this my self as a possibility and therefore can't speak officially for the company. However if it's likely to be possible, then I would be able to take a proposal to my employer for discussion.

Thanks.

Groundspeak is willing to provide permission for commercial use of the Wherigo platform under terms of a commercial license agreement. If you are interested in entering into a commercial license agreement with Groundspeak for Wherigo, please contact me directly and we can discuss the details.

Of course, we will need more information regarding the nature of your requested use of the platform in order to evaluate the licensing possibilities and general structure of the agreement.