Is there a secret greeting of cachers?

KJcachers

Try just holding your GPS up in front of you. A geocacher will recognize it from a cell phone or whatever.

That's what I usually do. While searching for a cache in Rome awhile back I walked to the edge of an overlook to see how I could get access to the cache. As I approached a guy turned around and suddenly found a GPS about 1 foot in front of my face. We searched for awhile to find a way to get to where we figured the cache was located but were unsucessful. We ended up discovering each others TBs/Coins and went on our separate ways. He was from Germany but we spoke the same language.

When out caching how do you greet people you meet on the trail to let them know you are geocaching and see if they are also geocachers? I was in a park today with what turns out at least 3 sets of cachers and never got to say hello. We only saw a couple of loners but we weren't sure if any were cachers. I am thinking of buying a hat or patch with the logo just for this reason. Also just ordered stickers for the Jeeps so at least we will be recognized in the parking lots.

When you run across someone looking at a GPS and scratching his head or looking under a rock the chances are you have run across a cacher. It won't take you very long before you can just tell by instinct. If they look like they are stuck I generally introduce myself and offer to help. Newbies always appreciate the offer from more experienced cachers. Experienced cachers will almost always offer to assist.

Edited by RonFisk

We've run across quite a few cachers at preserves and parks and it's pretty obvious when you're miles from any civilization in the middle of nothing, GPS in your hand, PDA on your belt, and a pack of Tupperware containers on your back. And when we do cross paths with someone we immediately drop all our gear, run and duck behind the nearest trees or cover and loudly tell each other to circle around and block their escape... hehehehe (just kidding)

Usually you don't need to ask if someone's a geocacher in the woods because they are either heading to where you came from, or away from where you're going, and a simple "Geocaching?" works for us (and usually ends up with 30 minutes of fun geo-chatter). And since I am seldom seen without my camera it's easy to act like that's all we're doing out there :)

Edited by infiniteMPG

tried the "did you find it?" once and got a weird look and a "ahhh,what?" response. Then we had to explain what WE were doing in the woods. Seems there should be a way to identify without letting the cat out of the bag to muggles. I need a hat or a hatpin for my caching hat. do they make a hatpin with the colored square logo? I haven't seen one yet.

Yeah there is a pin and a hat and a tshirt and a.......... :D

When I come up to another cacher there usually have a GPS in there hand. Then the cat is out of the bag so to say.

Not always... Only 50% of the time for me. Once I find the cache, I stick my GPSr in my pocket for the walk back. Unless I get lost.... :D:)

I think secret was a poor choice of words :D I probably should have said "Common" greeting to avoid all the yucks you guys are having on my behalf. :rolleyes:

Uh, yeah, sure! That's it.....I was only kidding you. I don't really carry a Signal plushie everywhere I go.

No, really!

:):D:D

Edited by Ambrosia

Actually there is.

When you see a possible geocacher you are to yell "Ho! Are ye a geocacher" The proper response is "Yay, a geocacher am I".

Once you get the proper response you stand facing each other and put your right hand on the other geocacher's left shoulder.

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes.

ROTFLMAO!!!

That just made my day! :rolleyes:

I am sitting here in my office laughing! If I get in trouble, it's all y'alls fault! :)

My personal observation is there does seem to be considerable awkwardness and reluctance to acknowledge fellow cachers when you come across them on the trail. I'm guilty of it myself but there have been some occasions I've tried to give a "signal" (although admittedly I did not call them a Ho or skip in circles).

I walked past one group who had just found a park cache (finder shouting "I found it!"). As I passed, I said "I found it too!"--they just awkwardly smiled and said nothing...so I walked on by. Recently while checking on my own cache, I noticed a couple hanging out at my first stage. I was excited--someone had come to look for my cache! I rushed to check on stages 2 and 3 so I would not give away any locations. On my way back to the car, I passed the couple (GPSr in hand) leaving my 2nd stage. As I passed them, I resolved to be bold so I smiled and said "Good luck...I hope you find it". They looked startled and mumbled "Thanks." I tossed over my shoulder..."It's my cache." They said nothing. Later, I found a note on my car. It was an apology from the cachers. They said I caught them off guard and they didn't know what to say and didn't quite comprehend what I had said about being the owner until after they found the last stage. I thought it was very nice they left the note.

So it is funny that even when you do acknowledge another cacher, sometimes they don't know what to say or how to handle it. I guess its the "be stealthy" rule that makes people feel awkward.

Maybe I will start calling suspected cachers Ho's and see how that works for me. :rolleyes:

To other Platinum members: do you think it might be okay for me to share here the secret signal used by Platinum level cachers? Oh, never mind.... I don't want to start another ruckus and get another one of those late-nite cranky phone calls from Jeremy. ...forget I asked...

I accidentally beat you to it. I let the secret "Chewbacca scream" signal slip out in a previous post.

However, I will not reveal the Super Elite Upper-Echelon Platinum member signal....uh...I mean...nevermind.

edit:spelling

Edited by Cedar Grove Seekers

We were caching on Gasparilla Island (Boca Grande) a few weeks back and started seeing some out of state cachers were signing the log sheets the same day. We figured we were hot on their trail (we were doing pedalling caching on bikes) so we rushed to the next cache. As we got there a car slowed past us with tags from the state they were from. They stopped and a lady jumped out, GPS in hand. We were already at the cache location (urban normal bridge cache) and I simply held out my hand, said their caching names and introduced us. Was kind of obvious what each of us was doing. We all signed the log together and proceeded to stand by that bridge for a half an hour and chat as they were familiar with a lot of our hides (they vacation here in winter).

For the most part I think we're all stealthy when it comes to geocaching so "opening up" to someone in the field is kind of breaking the silence so it's usually approached cautiously. And I know if some loner cachers who like the privacy of caching in secret so they don't like their cover blown. Everyone has their own approach and the great thing about it, is everyone is allowed that. All types welcomed! Even a simple acknowledgement or tipping GPS's towards each other, like road bikers nodding at each other as they pedal pass, brings a good bit of joy and a smile.

If someone approaches me and asks what I am doing, I tell them. It has happened once, and they were a muggle. In hind-sight, I think that I passed a group of cachers on the trail once, but didn't see a GPSr so I didn't say anything.

However, if I notice someone who I think may be caching, I will watch from a distance so as not to disturb them. I have always been into spy novels and spy movies, so the act of quietly and secretly observing someone is kinda fun for me.

If they do turn out to be geocachers, I will greet them, though I haven't had that happen, yet.

Secret Greeting for cachers???? Hmmmm, does sneaking up to someone at a cache, and then at about 15 feet, scream out, "Did you find it?", count as a secret greeting. Maybe not, but it's fun.

I've tried a variation which usually throws most folks for a loop. I sneak up on them while they're fixated on their GPSr and shout "Hey , what are you doin'?" It kinda' freaks them out. I'm always amazed at how un-situationally aware most folks are while searching for a cache.

I've tried a variation which usually throws most folks for a loop. I sneak up on them while they're fixated on their GPSr and shout "Hey , what are you doin'?" It kinda' freaks them out. I'm always amazed at how un-situationally aware most folks are while searching for a cache.

Haha, I've done that too. But only when I'm sure that they are cachers.

Otherwise I go with the "Did you find it" question. I like the follow up for the muggles of "Oh it just seemed you were looking for something".

yeah "I like your gps" to which they should reply "yeah it helps find whats there"

just kidding I made that up

Hahaha

your right though-we need a cache code!

Like when we see somebody that could possibly be a cacher we say do you know where the nearest atm is? if your in a shopping center,parking lot,not in the middle of a forest or park. like cash but cache,do you get what i'm saying?If they say yeah did you find it yet or yeah its in that bush over there, there you go!

Or if your in a woodsy are say you dropped 10 bucks have you seen it? then they say no or yeah it's over in that bush.

:unsure: Does that make sense?

Actually there is.

When you see a possible geocacher you are to yell "Ho! Are ye a geocacher" The proper response is "Yay, a geocacher am I".

Once you get the proper response you stand facing each other and put your right hand on the other geocacher's left shoulder.

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes.

The> ho! part cracks me up,what does that mean anyways is it short for hello?

Actually there is.

I bet you are a Monty Python fan.... ;)

Andakin

Actually we met a couple the other day ....I seen them from over 1/2 mile away walking where i knew a cache was so i drove down there, inteding to look for anthor cache in that area, and we couldnt resist. Drove up and said i know what your doin and we proceded to talk and we helped them locate the cache becasue this was difficult becasue of the cords being off. Then there was this other time when we pulled up to a train station anthor couple was on their hands and knees looking under the boardwalk....mmm dead giveaway maybe not to mention a gps on the ground. Then the same one anthor person showed up to remove his cache that was too close to anthor one in that area. But most the time as we get more in to it we can tell who might be a cacher just by their habits, casue im guilt of the "gps cell phone" act.

Actually there is.

I had the supreme pleasure of actually being able to call out this greeting to its author last weekend. :drama: No really I did! :drama:

Fortunately we were in a crowded bar, and he was on crutches, so we bailed on the skipping and dancing part, and sat down for a couple of cold beers. :drama:

Brian-it was great to finally meet you in person and I hope the next time we can enjoy some time on the trails together as well.

Where this, geohat144.jpg; or this, geoT144.jpg.

Someone mentioned the car sticker: geo2343sq.jpg. Antenna ball: geo5582sq.jpg

Or.........carry a Signal plushie with you wherever you go. Sheesh. I just can't get any adherents. :huh::lol:

Actually, I was at an event last weekend and I think I got a few people interested in buying a Signal. :huh:

2191550501_833fe98809.jpg

Or.........carry a Signal plushie with you wherever you go. Sheesh. I just can't get any adherents.

On the face of it, this seemed like a good idea. However, after further thought. I'm a 60 year old man, walk with a cane, and usually cache alone. I think I have enough trouble with people giving me strange looks in the parks now, I guess I will skip the stuffed toy. :huh::(:D

Ususally you can tell from the mutually firtive glances as each wonder to themselves, "I wonder if this person is wondering what the heck I'm doing, or if they know." I don't think the plushie thing would work for me - I am way too macho! LOL

Really though, it's just not my style - but thanks for the idea!

Edited by Radnord

Actually, I've had a couple of Marysville, CA finest come up to me and good thing I WAS wearing a T-shirt with Geocacher on it :ph34r: They only warned us, "Not to be in this area after dusk because it wouldn't be safe"

Was that a warning, a threat, or an offer?

Well I have a Texas Goecatcher logo with my name on the back of the car and my shirt has my goecach name embroderied on it "DEW Cache" and my walking stick has the Goecache logo on it. If someone is out walking in the woods and does not say anything about one of those I assume they are muggles.

most of the time the greeting we use is, EXCUSE ME :rolleyes::wacko: , when we bump into each other.

thats because both parties are walking around aimlessly looking into a hypnotic 2 1/2" lcd screen and not watching where they are going.

the handshake comes next, this is a autonomic reflex, derived from the cachers instinctive habit of inserting the hand into any crevice large enough for the appendage.

its kind of a jabbing forward movement, of the hand with a tweedeling of the fingers. :wacko:

Edited by dagger dog