Net Upload POI file

vfrpilot

Hi people,

Its been awhile, but I know & trust where to come when I need answers.

I came across a site which offers free poi files - (red light camera/speed trap) & even allows remote upload to my unit (60c).

Now, I d/led Garmin's communicator which works just fine with Firefox (the only browser I trust) but my question is:

I get a prompt saying "MyData.gpx already exists" and do I want to overwrite it?

Well, naturally I didn't (saved to an alternate removable source) - -

I'm wondering if this MyData file is my Garmin POI's ??

I surely don't want to overwrite, but merely add to my units data...

Any help, experience, suggestions will be appreciated!

As always, thanks in advance.

Well, I'm not sure what your free poi files would be, or what the file named MyData.gpx is exactly, but I do know anytime you use Garmin's POI Loader it replaces any data you have loaded. However, you can load multiple POI files as separate databases. You need to keep all your POIs in a single folder and load them together each time. Make sure each file is uniquely named.

ed: just noticed you are using Garmin's communicator with Firefox. I have no experience with either. If you can use POI Loader it will work as stated above.

Edited by Timpat

Well, I'm not sure what your free poi files would be, or what the file named MyData.gpx is exactly, but I do know anytime you use Garmin's POI Loader it replaces any data you have loaded. However, you can load multiple POI files as separate databases. You need to keep all your POIs in a single folder and load them together each time. Make sure each file is uniquely named.

ed: just noticed you are using Garmin's communicator with Firefox. I have no experience with either. If you can use POI Loader it will work as stated above.

Here's the d/l page: http://www.gps-data-team.com/gps-poi.php

That help?

I have to look at the Garmin POI Loader... I don't know whether I can create seperate folders? Can I?

Do you need removable media to do so? My 60c dosen't :unsure:

Sorry vfrpilot, I must have been half asleep last night and didn't pick up on you using a 60C. I was thinking 60Cx that has a microSD card which allows custom POIs to be loaded using the POI Loader.

I looked at your speed trap data and the .gpx file is what you could work with. There are over 1,000 waypoints and your 60C can hold a max of 1,000, so you would have to filter out the ones you want and store them as normal waypoints.

Sorry vfrpilot, I must have been half asleep last night and didn't pick up on you using a 60C. I was thinking 60Cx that has a microSD card which allows custom POIs to be loaded using the POI Loader.

I looked at your speed trap data and the .gpx file is what you could work with. There are over 1,000 waypoints and your 60C can hold a max of 1,000, so you would have to filter out the ones you want and store them as normal waypoints.

Forgive my ignorance... but how do I go about "filtering" the poi's

Would I open the downloaded mydata file with another application? (what application)?

Maybe I can import it into Mapsource?

I also just discovered an online tool that allows rremote reading/overlay without GE ???

Like I said - although not new to this (I've used GPS for years.. before it was popular), I've been out of the loop lately....

TIA

UPDATE:

Yep, I can open the file with mapsource and then I guess pick & chose which to add to my unit.

Now, is there an easier way to filter thru 12 hundred waypoints to use what I want for just Phila & NJ ???

Edited by vfrpilot

Yep, I can open the file with mapsource and then I guess pick & chose which to add to my unit.

Now, is there an easier way to filter thru 12 hundred waypoints to use what I want for just Phila & NJ ???

Good to hear you have MapSource (MS). I looked over the two POI files (Red_Light_Camera, and Speed_Trap) and the total waypoints to cover NJ and Philly are 441. Here's what you can do. Open one .gpx file in MS and select all the POIs that interest you using the Selection Tool. Copy them and Paste into a "new" MS application. Then open the second .gpx file (in the first MS app) and do the same copy/paste operation. The result will be the one new MS app with the two selected groups of POIs combined for the total 441 waypoints. Upload into your 60C and you're all set.

Good to hear you have MapSource (MS). I looked over the two POI files (Red_Light_Camera, and Speed_Trap) and the total waypoints to cover NJ and Philly are 441. Here's what you can do. Open one .gpx file in MS and select all the POIs that interest you using the Selection Tool. Copy them and Paste into a "new" MS application. Then open the second .gpx file (in the first MS app) and do the same copy/paste operation. The result will be the one new MS app with the two selected groups of POIs combined for the total 441 waypoints. Upload into your 60C and you're all set.

Yep - I started to zoom in to philly/nj and select em this morning but didn't have enough time.... have an easier way?

I've never enabled proximity alerts.... I just deleted about 400 waypoints (previous customers from last job).

Is there a way to enable prox alerts for specific waypoints... I don't remember & though since a few are following this thread maybe I could save the labor of a search?? :laughing:

And just realize that you are going to then be using up 44% of your Waypoint storage capacity.

But my 60c has a 1000 waypoint capacity?!?!

Ok, it's been a while since I've taken math in school so maybe they've changed it.

But 441 divided by 1000 is 44.1 percent.

:laughing:

I was just teasing you mama :antenna:

I've never enabled proximity alerts.... I just deleted about 400 waypoints (previous customers from last job).

Is there a way to enable prox alerts for specific waypoints... I don't remember & though since a few are following this thread maybe I could save the labor of a search?? :laughing:

Yes, there is, but with a 60C you have to set a proximity distance to each of only 10 waypoints, Yes, only 10, individually. Go through the main menu to 'Proximity' and set them one at a time. It is in miles and fractions of a mile down to 0.01 mi or 52.8 feet. With real custom POIs loaded on a Garmin "X" unit you can set proximity alerts wholesale for entire files.