Problem with Garmin Legend HCX. Opinions?

Mark II

I recently purchased a Legend HCx to replace an older Legend. This new one works just fine as long as I don't have the memory card installed, but when it is installed it will get as far as the satellite screen and freeze up. I have left it on in this condition, hoping it was just processing and would snap out of it, for up to 20 minutes. The only thing it will respond to when frozen like this is removal of the batteries. I thought perhaps if I lowered the amount of maps on the card it would help, but no luck so far. The card is a 512Mb Sandisk card, currently with less than 117Mb of info on it. The only time the GPS will get past the Satellite screen with the card in place is when connected to the PC and the map transfer is complete. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a defective unit, or is this a case of operator malfunction?

I recently purchased a Legend HCx to replace an older Legend. This new one works just fine as long as I don't have the memory card installed, but when it is installed it will get as far as the satellite screen and freeze up. I have left it on in this condition, hoping it was just processing and would snap out of it, for up to 20 minutes. The only thing it will respond to when frozen like this is removal of the batteries. I thought perhaps if I lowered the amount of maps on the card it would help, but no luck so far. The card is a 512Mb Sandisk card, currently with less than 117Mb of info on it. The only time the GPS will get past the Satellite screen with the card in place is when connected to the PC and the map transfer is complete. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a defective unit, or is this a case of operator malfunction?

Have you tried a differant card?

There is a known problem with 2gb SanDisk Ultra II data cards. If yours don't work, I think you have a faulty GPS unit. Notify Garmin via their online tech support; it's less of a headache then through the phone line.

You could try a different data card, as suggested, just to see if that's the problem. I use 1gb and 2gb Lexar cards on my Vista HCx and Venture Cx, and I have not experienced any problems - knock on wood.

I've got the same unit. I currently have a 1gb micro card installed with approx 350mb of topo canada maps installed. Everything works wonderfully here.

I'm just guessing here, but it seems like you have some sort of conflict with the software on the card rather than a hardware problem. Have you tried deleting the maps and reinstalling them? I'd go that route first and then give them call or email or whatever if that doesn't work.

Willibauer

Edited by Willibauer

I've got the same unit. I currently have a 1gb micro card installed with approx 350mb of topo canada maps installed. Everything works wonderfully here.

I'm just guessing here, but it seems like you have some sort of conflict with the software on the card rather than a hardware problem. Have you tried deleting the maps and reinstalling them? I'd go that route first and then give them call or email or whatever if that doesn't work.

Willibauer

I'll try it, thanks.

Edit: well, I deleted the maps on the card and re-formatted it, then put about 80Mb of maps back and it seems to be working. Tomorrow I'll upload some more to see if it will hold up. Thanks.

Edited by Mark II