Cache Log is Full!

Bunganator

After reading many forum posts about different topics, it seems that many people are very driven to only claim a smiley if they sign the log. Personally, if I have the cache and log in my hand, but forget to bring a pencil, I'll take the smiley cuz I know I found it. But for those that will turn around to find a pencil in the car and then come back, here is a semi-irrelevant, very hypothetical, but possibly OCD raising question:

If you find a cache whose logbook is full beyond capacity, wet, or non-existent (I have found those), and you don't have ANY cache maintenece materials (including random bits of paper) or visual history recording devices (aka: a camera), would you take the smiley?

After reading many forum posts about different topics, it seems that many people are very driven to only claim a smiley if they sign the log. Personally, if I have the cache and log in my hand, but forget to bring a pencil, I'll take the smiley cuz I know I found it. But for those that will turn around to find a pencil in the car and then come back, here is a semi-irrelevant, very hypothetical, but possibly OCD raising question:

If you find a cache whose logbook is full beyond capacity, wet, or non-existent (I have found those), and you don't have ANY cache maintenece materials (including random bits of paper) or visual history recording devices (aka: a camera), would you take the smiley?

When the logbook is full, I would have no problem crossing out Welch's name and signing my own.

To answer your question, I could probably describe the cache location AND that I pulled the logbook to the satisfaction of the cache owner.

I am however a purist and would never claim a cache that I didn't make my mark.

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

If I find a cache that has a soaked log or a log that's hopelessly full, I'll add either a new logbook, if I have one with me, or at least a few sheets of paper (or micro log paper) and sign that sheet. When I log the find on-line, I always mention the paper addition and, if still needed, add a "Needs Maintenance" log.

--Larry

Edit to answer the original question :laughing: : I've never (yet) faced a situation where I couldn't come up with something to sign, but if I really couldn't prove that I'd found it, I'd log a note and return at another time to sign the log (bringing my own paper as needed).

Edited by larryc43230
If I find a cache that has a soaked log or a log that's hopelessly full, I'll add either a new logbook, if I have one with me, or at least a few sheets of paper (or micro log paper) and sign that sheet. When I log the find on-line, I always mention the paper addition and, if still needed, add a "Needs Maintenance" log.

--Larry

Edit to answer the original question:

This is what I do too. If I don't have a pen/paper then I'll get creative and sign my initials with anything I can find.

I've signed a log with mashed up grass and a stick when I forgot a pen, I almost always have SOME scrap of paper with me, I've scratched my initials into a soaked logbook when that's all I could do, and I can squeeze my initials into a very small space near someone else's name if needed.

For me, I'm pretty big on if I have no mark in the log, I won't count the smiley. But that's me...play as you and the cache owner see fit.

I'm just not as "pure" as BD...so I'd log the find if I could prove that I had the cache in question...and have!!!

(Adds R&R to the scratch-off list)

:laughing:

Most cachers wouldn't be in a situation that they couldn't prove they found the cache.

The op stipulated that you didn't even have a camera. You are logging the cache based on honor. I've had a cache owner tell me they know I found it and could claim a find.

Thanks, but I'll come back and sign the logbook.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'll always try to leave some proof of my visit. If I had no pen I've dipped a stick in mud and signed my initials, signed with the ash from the lit end of a cigar and rubbed blades of grass on my thumb and left a print.

If the log is too wet to sign, I've put my initials on a slip of paper or left my business card.

I've never seen a log so full that I couldn't sneak my initials in somewhere in the margins.

This said, if for some strange reason it was impossible to do any of this, if I found the cache I would still log a Found It.

Edited by briansnat

And just how long do you suppose an indented wet log will stay indented??

Let's go this route...if I sign the logbook, but the next cacher finds the cache open and contents strewn about...maybe no logbook, does this mean my find isn't good?? How about if the next cacher sees my name but the logbook is gone when the owner comes for maintenance?

it all comes down to personal preference...and how much I believe in myself and my fellow cachers. You visit my caches and can't sign the log, you can prove to me the cache was what you found...I'm fairly trusting!

In fact...one of my caches was found today by a cacher who couldn't get the cache from it's location (seems it might be pushed so far into it's hidey hole that it's not able to be retrieved). Just give me any info identifying my container and I'm all good! I suppose I could be a jerk and just delete and be done with it, but....

This is MY stance and if you're (you, you're and your used generically here) not liking it, FINE...but don't suggest that your way is the only way! I find your cache and can't sign, delete if you want, it matters not to me...just shows a bit about how trusting you are! I'll just move you over to my ignore list and be as happy as before...

In fact...one of my caches was found today by a cacher who couldn't get the cache from it's location (seems it might be pushed so far into it's hidey hole that it's not able to be retrieved). Just give me any info identifying my container and I'm all good!

I faced a situation like this once (as the finder, not the hider). The cache was literally frozen in place, to the point where I would have had to destroy it to extricate it. I sent a PM to the owner, who asked me to provide a couple of details about the site and the container itself. When I answered his questions to his satisfaction, he gave me the go-ahead to post a "Found It" for the cache. Afterwards, the owner temporarily disabled the cache until it could be safely extracted.

--Larry

Here's another thought...what if you DO make your mark or indentation or whatever, do you suppose the cache owner will actually be able to find it if the logbook is soooo wet it's mush??? Would it bother you if the owner deletes then?

What happens if the mark you made with mud is washed away when the next cacher comes out in the rain? What if the cache owner can't find your mark...fine to delete you?? (again...you, your etc blah blah blah)

You are basically appeasing your own need to sign.

Yes, absolutely, no question about it, wouldn't give it a second thought.

All this stuff wrt mud smears and other 'creative' materials and marks is ridiculous and means nada.

And oh yeah, if this bothers some cache owner to the extent that he decides to delete my log and find.................I DON'T CARE!!!!! :laughing::lol:;)

Edited by Team Cotati

Here's another thought...what if you DO make your mark or indentation or whatever, do you suppose the cache owner will actually be able to find it if the logbook is soooo wet it's mush??? Would it bother you if the owner deletes then?

What happens if the mark you made with mud is washed away when the next cacher comes out in the rain? What if the cache owner can't find your mark...fine to delete you?? (again...you, your etc blah blah blah)

Like I said, people do whatever.

It has been awhile since we've had an complaint thread about a log being deleted for not signing the logbook.

edit: ing/ed

Edited by BlueDeuce

I would certainly log a find if I so much as saw it. If the log book were full, I have pen and paper in my bag. If I forgot my bag with pen and paper, I'd put a leaf with my initials scratched into it, a rock or something else and post that I left that as my mark. In addition I always take my camera, so I'd have a picture to prove I was there if nothing else. I can't see things failing enough that I can't at least say "no log book" or "no pen", left acorn as proof of visit.

Well put, that is precisely how I feel about it. I've always felt that an essential part of the process is signing that log, and I'll do my best to accomplish it. I'm fully aware that the cache owner might or might not care, and might or might not ever even read the log entries in the cache. It goes back to that old question of "Who cares, who would ever know?" to which my answer is, "I would know, that's who."

I make a "good faith effort" to leave my personal mark in the cache. If there's no way to accomplish that to my own satisfaction, I'll usually just return at a later date to satisfy my "need to sign." And if there's a problem with the cache that the owner needs to know about, I'll send a PM to let them know.

--Larry

If there's a log in the cache (no matter how wet or full) I'll sign it, or sign a separate paper and add it. If there's no log in the cache and I'm 100% certain that it IS the cache, I'll sign a paper drop it it and call it found, while pointing out that the cache needs maintenance. If I'm not 100% certain that what I found is the logless cache, I'll still sign a paper and put it in, then email the owner. If he responds that it was indeed the cache, then I'll log the find. If I don't hear back or it wasn't the cache, then I won't log it as found.

I've found caches that were just empty containers at least twice; once I was certain the empty camo'd ammo can 7 miles out in the woods was definitely the cache, the other time I wasn't certain that the empty phone box attached to a pole was the cache. One I logged, the other I didn't. (Until a return trip a year later when the cache was fixed)

If there's an obvious maintenance problem with the cache (such as a missing log) then I'll improvise, but unless my name is signed on SOMETHING that's in the container, I won't log it as found.

I would sign on any possible space I could find or, in the case of not having a pen, would go back and sign later. I've never not been able to find something to sign...

This begs another question though. How many of you actually take a full log and compare it to the finds on the cache page? I've always wondered about this because I've seen some caches that state in the logging requirements that "the log must be signed in each finder's own hand or the find will be deleted", i.e. if there are three of you hunting you can't have just one of you sign for everyone while they're at it (with all three present at the find, of course).

i have come upon a few, soo soggy logs that has been very hard to sign, so i have left a piece of paper of some sort, even thought it may get soggy also. and there have been a few small containers that the log was literally stuck in the container (empty pill bottle with a small opening) and tried for many minutes to wedge out. What i have done is that i have my camera with me most of the time and on the front of our GPS we have: TEAM DEGARMO on dymo labels and simply take a pic with the cache and our GPS, to show we did find it, even tough did not sign. and then upload the pic with our log. I am not going to drive back 40 miles some where to try again to sign a log. And for me, i have placed several caches out there, and really have not ever checked the actual logs against the web listings, for me its: TRUST, at some point if you want to 'cheat' yourself and that makes you feel better then that is going to happen, I don't have the time to 'patrol' my caches & log entries to 'confirm' every log entry. does anyone really have that much time?? There will always be a few bad eggs out there, but i know it will catch up with them. Trust, play fair & have fun!! enough from me, phew! happy caching!

Edited by mdegarmo

And for me, i have placed several caches out there, and really have not ever checked the actual logs against the web listings, for me its: TRUST, at some point if you want to 'cheat' yourself and that makes you feel better then that is going to happen, I don't have the time to 'patrol' my caches & log entries to 'confirm' every log entry. does anyone really have that much time?? There will always be a few bad eggs out there, but i know it will catch up with them. Trust, play fair & have fun!! enough from me, phew! happy caching!

I have three caches I've hidden, and I've never felt the need to check the actual logs against the Web logs, either. I never understood the whole idea of someone claiming a find they actually hadn't made; the numbers aren't that important to me, and I'm not in any sort of competition with anyone else. I like to watch my own find numbers rise, only because it's a fun personal challenge. I really don't care how my numbers compare with anyone else's; I'm really competing with myself.

Whenever I visit my caches, however, I always enjoy reading the entries in the log books. On several occasions, I've found really funny entries from non-cachers who've found the cache, signed the log, then put it back where it belonged. Who knows, maybe some of them wound up being cachers themselves!

--Larry

In short - no I wouldn't.

however....

It is difficult to imagine that I wouln't have some random scrap of paper in some pocket on me. Or have my pressurized pen that will write on wet soggy paper. Or find some rock, pebble, stick, leaf, blade of grass etc that I could tuck in the cache as evidence of my visit. Use my knife for a drop of blood, mix grass up for a green smear of clorophyl, wipe mud on the spine of the log. Maybe leave a shoe lace, pull some hair out, pocket lint. Scratch the paint on the container. Something.

But yeah - if I didn't bother to come up with something, anything at all - then I would skip the smiley.

If I found it but can't sign the log because of a problem with the cache itself then yes, I'll post a find and include a description in the log of what I did and why. If they decide to delete it I can live with that as well.

this, or maybe sign the margin of a where's george dollar and leave it. Log a needs maintenance.

If there were no log to sign I'd leave my sock. A little DNA goes a long way.

I have found some of your logs LOL

I have had this happen once, I claimed the smiley and then sent an Email to the owner describing the location and details of the Cache.

As a Cache Owner I never cross-check the hardcopy log to the web log unless I have a reason.

I've taken a DNF on a couple caches I've actually found just because there was no pencil in them, and I never remember to bring one. I don't care too much about numbers, so it doesn't matter much to me if I get the +1 or not.

I've also signed the log with a few odd things that may or may not have been too readable, including a wet stick, a chapstick, and lots of pencils with no lead.

A few months ago I found a cache that had been muggled. All that was left was the lock and lock container, no log and no trade items.

For some reason I had left my caching bag back at the car, and had no scrap paper, nor even a pen. I left a note on the cache page and sent an E-mail to the cache owner describing what I had found and where I had put it.

He E-mailed back and offered to let me change it to a found, so I did. I have no problem with that.

However, that experience taught me something. I took a small piece of paper, folded it and put it in my wallet. I then taped a small piece of lead for a mechanical pencil to the back of my GPS. (an idea I got from a local cacher, I can't remember who though.) Now unless I forget my wallet, I shouldn't run into the hypothetical problem presented here. :unsure::)

I would. I found it and held the soggy mess in my hand. I think that counts. I would also log a cache maintainence. We have found a few like this, and it is disapointing to be unable to sign the log.

I'm just not as "pure" as BD...so I'd log the find if I could prove that I had the cache in question...and have!!!

:) YEP :unsure:

Sure.... I usually have a pen on me while geocaching, and always have some kind of paper in my coat pockets. I also carry a small notebook or two in my geo-pak/SwagBag. And I also always have some calling cards in there too, that I will leave in the cache. :unsure:

GeoWizerdCard.jpg

Edited by geowizerd

When that happens, I pee on it to mark it as my territory. >.>

... All seriousness It's not happened yet, most likely if I had no possible way to sign it, I'd go ahead and take the find, note to the owner that t needed a new log (if it did) and return sometime to properly sign it, unless it was like several hundred miles away then I'd be "meh, not worth going back out for it."

But to me it is more about finding the cache and leaving something nifty inside it. Rarely take much. Just sign the log because it's .. what you're supposed to do.

Yes I would. "Found It" followed by a "Needs Maintenance" log. If I have my cell phone I would take a picture of the cache and/or remnants of the log so if the owner questioned my find I could prove I was there, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

We just found a cache this week that demanded logging and stated the owner actively would compare logs. However, when we found the cache we had two problems: 1. The pens wouldn't write on the log. It was frozen and moisture had seeped into the cache and it was bad, 2. Someone needed a potty break. For us to have logged it we'd of had to taken a lot of time drying out the log and such and being on the road we didn't have the time. So, we took a picture of the container and near the location (nothing that would spoil it) and posted it in hopes that'd suffice.

At the end of the day...the log owner will decide.

I'm pretty OCD about log signing. I have yet to find a log I couldn't sign. Two weeks ago it was close...the cache was a fake pinecone and the log was jammed up inside it. I went back to the vehicle for my needle nosed pliers and did some quick surgery on it. :antenna:

Then what's the trick to writing on frozen logs? :laughing:

I was going to try felt tip pen, but that was clear back in the truck...I am guessing that would've worked somewhat.

I carry two things with me always...a pencil and a marker...these are always given when I am caching...so as long as this still counts in this situation...

I have been known to sign the cache container with a marker (or even sign over other names in the logbook with my marker)!!!

-Only claim a find if I can sign something (with the exception of virtuals, earthcaches and other non-signable caches as they may or may not exist!!!)

I hope this counts as an answer to the actuall question...BlueDeuce, sorry in advance if this causes another one of your "Bang Head Against Wall" moments... :laughing: