Muggled Travel Bugs

ftjak

My wife and I have put out 15 travel bugs or geocoins and have had to bury 6 of them in a graveyard because of them being muggled and have 2 more that look like they will have to be buried soon. You know it really is a shame that people have to be such stupid jerks and steal these items. We had several VERY SPECIAL bugs and coins that have been stolen and it makes us wonder about people's honesty and integrity. I know that any bug or coin that we have now we are just going to activate and keep them with us and just drop them in caches and just log them in and out for the mileage. To bad some people have to be so mean.

Tweety & Coach.......ftjak

That is a chance a person takes when releasing TBs or coins. This has been an on going issue and sad to

say it will most likely continue to be. I have a couple of TBs and a coin or two that have disapeared also. I

was upset at first but finally realized that it a chance we take releasing them. I am one that now I hang on

to my coins and let people discover them. I will still release TBs but for now I think I'll hang on to my

coins. I think that this makes the progress of the TBs that are still out there moving even more exciting to

see as a owner. Sorry for about your stolen trackables. It to will pass. :laughing:;)

We too have had our only two bugs stolen. One did not even make it past the first cache we dropped it in. The other was doing well, then someone picked it up and logged that they had it, but that was in October. I have sent several emails to them with no reply asking to release it back in the system.

It is nothing of value, but the kids were having fun with it. It is a shame that people take these things and do not realize they upset others.

There should eb a way to reprot those that take them, log, them, and then just keep them.

thx

A lot of times it is just someone who doesn't know how to log it. Or forgets they took it, and it will show up later.

You don't need to bury them in graveyards anymore, as the owner of the item, you can just mark it missing on the TB/coin page. Graveyards add false mileage, and were before the "mark as missing" option was added. You'd be amazed how many people do not know how to log them.

Your Chillin With Magilla TB was picked up by a guy who has only 18 finds in 3 years. In the airforce, doesn't cache much, doesn't mean he doesn't fully intend to drop it when he gets back out. Who knows where he is stationed. Yes, maybe he shouldn't move TBs if he doesn't go out often, but he should be able to play too. Send a friendly email through his profile page.

Your Dori My Sweet Adorable Wife TB was placed in a cache shortly before some animal or human (sounds more like animal activity) strew the cache all over the place. It's very possible it is still on the ground somewhere in the cache location, and wasn't found when the cache was picked up and put back together over a month after the TB was placed. I don't believe this loss was caused by a muggle, or a cacher.

World Traveler Wailea is gone. Sounds like this cache was taken by a muggle or kids. This line in the cache page right here is what I have against some TB hotels. "Thousands of people pass by daily. Some are locals and some are from the furthest reaches of our great nation. Muggles are a definite hazard while searching for this one. If you are good at stealth, you will be successful."

That is the perfectly wrong place to put a "TB hotel". It's not safe at all. No telling where that bug went. I would blame that one on the cache owner's choice of placement of a TB hotel.

Your Tracking Time geocoin is gone, but might someday come back to life. It could be a case of not knowing how to log, or what a trackable is. It's hard to tell when some people just log a quick TFTC or Found it! to know if they made any trades.

Your Sheridan County, Kansas Geocoin might have been taken by newbies, who don't know. Time will tell. Try sending a friendly email asking if they picked up a coin. It almost looks like the coin is in hand in their photo. 3 finds and no visits to the site in a very long time. At this point, they might not even get the email, but it's worth a shot.

Your Tyler and Alexis's Middlesex Hockey Geocoin is lost to a muggled cache. Poor kids, a hard lesson about risk.

Your Applewomyn #2 Geocoin is just plain in limbo. Besides the drop, no mention is made of the coin anywhere on the cache page. That one could reappear someday, but it has been a while.

The rest of your trackables look to be in good shape.

Muggled caches are usually an indication of a poorly placed cache. It's up to us cachers not to place other peoples trackables in risky situations. But then again, even more remote caches can go missing. This is why releasing them is considered risky, but we all need a little excitement in our lives don't we? I hope the ones that were never logged do show up for you.