Winter melt Caches and TBs

Monterry

We have been checking on some of our caches. Due to this extra ordinary Winter thaw, a lot of our specials are either underwater or totally washed away. This in spite of the fact that we were so careful when we placed them. I.E. rocks on them or tied with fishing line. Now what???? Do we wait for Spring to see how many are missing or what :D:D:)

The only thing I can think of is either move them completly to another location or buy a chain and a anchor

to hold them down. I have run across a few caches that are hung from trees with camo string. They throw

the weighted container over a branch higher up and tie a string to a nail or a lower branch with enough

string to lower the cache to the ground. Keeping the cache higher up like that makes it a good year round

cache also. If there are no trees in the direst area, try the chain and boat anchor. :laughing:

There's always hope. If it is safe, I'd go check on them soon. If it's not possible, check in the spring. Are they winter accessible? If they are missing, look downstream. Quite a while back someone found an ammo can something like three miles from where it was hidden, after a flood. And, the cache was still in pretty good shape.

You can also post in your regional forums to have any cachers passing by to check on them, or form a rescue operation amongst yourselves to check on each other's caches.

This is more of a geocaching topic, than a travel bug topic though, so I am moving it to to the general geocaching forums.

There's always hope. If it is safe, I'd go check on them soon. If it's not possible, check in the spring. Are they winter accessible? If they are missing, look downstream. Quite a while back someone found an ammo can something like three miles from where it was hidden, after a flood. And, the cache was still in pretty good shape.

There is always hope. ;)

We had a cache go missing that was near a riverbank. A while later, someone found it. The amazing thing was that the cache traveled about 30 miles down white water rapids on the Wenatchee River, went past the confluence of the Wenatchee and the Columbia, and then through a major dam (Rock Island Dam), and was found below that, floating on the Columbia in fine condition. More amazing still, it was found by a kid who was throwing rocks at things floating in the river....he saw the cache and yelled to his dad, "hey, isn't that a cache?". They turned out to be cachers and took the info inside the cache to write to us and tell us about it.

:laughing::lol:

There is always hope. ;)

We had a cache go missing that was near a riverbank. A while later, someone found it. The amazing thing was that the cache traveled about 30 miles down white water rapids on the Wenatchee River, went past the confluence of the Wenatchee and the Columbia, and then through a major dam (Rock Island Dam), and was found below that, floating on the Columbia in fine condition. More amazing still, it was found by a kid who was throwing rocks at things floating in the river....he saw the cache and yelled to his dad, "hey, isn't that a cache?". They turned out to be cachers and took the info inside the cache to write to us and tell us about it.

:laughing::lol:

Now that is just amazing.

Hee hee! I just checked on the cache you mentioned to me yesterday. The water level is so high still that I would not even turn the van around in the spot that we parked in when we originally logged our find. I was afraid that the van and us would be in the drink as well as your cache. I agree, if this one is the one with the bug in it, email the owner of the bug and let them know the situation. We can mount a search and rescue party when the flood waters recede about two or three feet. :laughing:

There is always hope. :lol:

:laughing:;)

Now that is just amazing.

;) I forgot, they logged a find on the cache, and we thought it was fine, since they found the cache! Cache log.

Hee hee! I just checked on the cache you mentioned to me yesterday. The water level is so high still that I would not even turn the van around in the spot that we parked in when we originally logged our find. I was afraid that the van and us would be in the drink as well as your cache. I agree, if this one is the one with the bug in it, email the owner of the bug and let them know the situation. We can mount a search and rescue party when the flood waters recede about two or three feet. :laughing:

Thanks, bud. We will hold you to the S&R come drier weather.

:laughing::antenna:

Now THAT is hilarious! I would crack a joke about traveling caches, but that would be expected, wouldn't it :antenna:

Here in Mississippi, there are alot of great caching places on the river side of the levees. Problem is, when the river rises, they are often submerged (we get high water from spring snowmelt too- it just travels a few thousand miles from Minnesota or Colorado beforehand :antenna: ). Some of the solutions I've seen include tying an ammo box to a tree, sticking the container way up inside a stump and covering the opening with big rocks, looping a rope over a tall branch and hoisting the cache up the trunk, and (most often) setting the cache 6 feet up in the branches of a tree just above the usual water line.

Edited by DavidMac