Horseback Caching

KidRipley

I Placed one (KR-3 GC18F4J ) while trail riding, and am going to place more around there too. Is there anyone else nearby that does this or wants to from horseback? My horses are in West Milford, NJ. Maybe make a club out of it? Or just get in contact and meet up on a trail.

My Caching pal Cappy...

DSCN2493.jpg0618071609.jpg

Picture012.jpg

and my other pal Gunnar

DSCN1371.jpg

Sounds like fun. I've encountered quite a few caches along or near horse trails, so there are certainly enough to keep you busy.

Hello! I am not from NJ but just started horseback Geocaching. We found our first offical cache today! We got into it because we accidently found a letterbox while on horseback. Next thing the boyfriend bought me a GPS and now we are on our way! There are at least 4 hidden in the trail area where we currently ride, BrandywineCreek state park. It is next to wilmington De, has plenty of places to park a trailer, I recommend coming up for a ride!

Cool, I am trying to get our SAR Team to use these as "training" I need to work on my "pitch" since I am new to GC'in myself.

I am in Northern NJ.

That park is down by Devon right? Maybe this year when I compete at the Mounted Police Horse thing I will try to set some time aside to hit a cache or two with ya.

I've seen horses walk all over West Milford Township. They walked right up Awosting Road one day. I was just in Waywayanda SP and they have some designated trails. Perhaps find some caches there or place a couple? I wouldn't mind another FTF from KR!

I don't know much about horses but I know a few new cachers in town who might be willing to give you company on a cache mission.

M.

I've seen horses walk all over West Milford Township. They walked right up Awosting Road one day. I was just in Waywayanda SP and they have some designated trails. Perhaps find some caches there or place a couple? I wouldn't mind another FTF from KR!

I don't know much about horses but I know a few new cachers in town who might be willing to give you company on a cache mission.

M.

MMM- I have been using Cappy as a "packer" and just riding him back to barn, I need to shed some of my "winter coat" LOL so I walk with him. I want to do same with my other horse Gunnar too, So maybe we can put a few caches out in that area that KR3 is in the same way. I have a bunch of places in mind.

Let me know e-mail me.

Do you ride out of Kurt's place off Dockerty Hollow? We go team penning there weekly when the weather is nicer. I haven't used my horse to find any caches yet. He has the winter off to recover from an abscess.

Yup I was the "Caller" at team penning-- aka Rich

Hope your horse is better soon, let me know if you want on a nice day come over and maybe we can go out for a search and place a cache or 2.

Hi, I am just replying to a few and have a question.

Try GC in Lebanon State Forest/Brendan T. Byrne Forest between routes 70 & 72. Lots of caches there. I have found a few caches with my gps, but my new horse is too tall to mount unless I find a log or something. I horseback ride there quite a bit, also Carranza in Tabernacle. I also ride the NJ horsepark, but not sure if any are there.

Question: Are there any places to team pen in Central Jersey? My horse is in Columbus and I would like to see if he has any natural ability with a herd. Buena is too far especially if my horse turns out to be any good.

Thank you, Carolyn ;)

Penning is kinda slow right now everywhere. When the weather warms up they will start happening again.

To look up any caches in those areas...just search the zip code, and pick any of them, then use the map to pan around untill you find the area you are looking for, zoom in or out if there are too many or too few.

Get one of those "helper stirrup" thingies.... there was a bunch of discussion of them on NJ-Horse forum,

Hope this helps.

Penning is kinda slow right now everywhere. When the weather warms up they will start happening again.

To look up any caches in those areas...just search the zip code, and pick any of them, then use the map to pan around untill you find the area you are looking for, zoom in or out if there are too many or too few.

Get one of those "helper stirrup" thingies.... there was a bunch of discussion of them on NJ-Horse forum,

Hope this helps.

Yes, I have downloaded GC waypoints a year or so ago, but there were so many for Lebanon and you couldn't see anything else so I deleted them. I will in the future just print a page and plug in the coordinates.

The helper stirrup is a great idea, I will have to try one. Thanks. :D