Keeping track of trades

tsunrisebey

Ok, I gotta know what some of you do to keep track of trades? I normally just write down stuff on a piece of paper (ok papers whatever is available at the time I'm writing). For the most part, I do fairly well with getting stuff out but lately I have either forgot stuff, thought I sent it or sent someone double cause I forgot I sent a coin already. I think I have too much going on, so no one to blame but myself.

Anyhow, maybe it's time to move to a more advanced system other than I write it on paper and try to find the list later. I admit I don't use my computer and all the stuff on it like I could cause I'm not sure how to use many of the software programs. Here's what I do have Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office. Can someone tell me what they find effective or what you use to keep track of trades (sent/received/coins)? Something easy is preferred.

Thanks in advance.

I have used Gmail to keep track of trades that I need to send.

When I get a trade offer I keep it in my inbox and "star" it, this way when I have archived everything else it remains in my inbox as a reminder to send my end of the deal.

Set up two folders title them "sent" and "received", when you have sent your end of the deal "label" the email as "sent" and archive it to that folder. Once you received the trade to complete the deal remove the label "sent" and move the email to "received".

Of course you can name the "labels" anything you want that will make it easy for you.

I use a combination of listing pending coin trades on cointracking and envelopes with coins on my desk. If something sits in one location for too long, time to go search for emails related to the trade to figure out if my end or the other end is waiting for some coin to complete the trade.

I track shipped coins with a spreadsheet with the usual information plus it includes shipping cost, tracking numbers and a mention of any freebies that were thrown in along with the trade coins.

I've tried using more complicated systems in the past, but I'm somewhere barely evolved past the level of using sticky notes to author my last will and testament, so the simpler the better for me!

I use Excel (similiar to Microsoft Works) with columns such as:

Geocacher name

Real name

Address

How many coins trading we are trading

The coins i'm sending

Date I sent it

Coins they are sending me

Date I received it

Then I use color code the whole line like:

Blue means its waiting on me for something

Green means I'm waiting for it to come from them

Black means nothing has happened on either end

Purple means its a done deal on both ends

This way all I have to do is scroll down thru the list to see if something is needed somewhere - without having to read the actual trades

I also use a different page for different coins, example

LD v1 coins

LD v2 coins

Cache aid coins

Do Unto Others coins

Misc trades (that don't fall into the other categories)

I also keep a folder online that says trades and all trades go into it for backup purposes. If you have it on both your computer (spreadsheet software program) AND your online server...that way you are saved thus either your computer OR your server crash and you lose everything. Always backup!! LOL

One time I had someone email me a YEAR after the trade to say that they hadn't received my trade yet and was i going to send it? Well thank goodness I keep such good track of my trades. All I had to do was go back thru my Excel spreadsheet to see what we traded and when. As it was, we both completed our trades and I was able to list off the trade and went it was sent and received. After I wrote back and gave him that information he realized it wasn't me who owed him and he also remembered our trade and that it was infact completed...thanked me again for it and apologized LOL

dflye...I think after talking to you I will add TRACKING numbers to my Excel sheet. Good idea!!!

Steph....its time to become a modern working trader LOL :):D:D

I keep the email in the in box till the trade is done then print it off & move it to my trade for coins file.

I then write on the page the date when I send it & keep them in a file folder when the trade comes in I put the date received & move it to a coin received file then email & put a line through it.May be archaic but works well :D

I have a pretty slick Access database that TMOCM made.

How does the database work versus an excell spreadsheet?

I use an excell spreadsheet with columns labeled

cache name, real name, address, coin requested, coin offered, date sent, and received.

Works great IF I remember to use!!!

Like the tracking number column also.

Also I try to retrieve the activation numbers for all coins. Clearly state that the coins are not activated!

I use an Excel spreadsheet like many of the folks here. Then, for trades that are in progress, I also keep one email folder with the latest email from either me or the person I'm trading with. I've found it really helps to always reply to the original email rather than just sending off a new email - then you have the entire "history" of the trade. Good luck Stephanie - you can do it girl!

Another vote for Trade Tracker here, but I'm a total computer geek (both by trade and by choice) so I spend several hours a day online anyway.

If I were looking for something more manual, I think I would go with the notebook idea. Or you could adapt that and get one of those little inexpensive photo albums. Print out the e-mail and stick it and the coin in one of the slots to be mailed. Make your notes on the printed e-mail (date mailed, etc.) and throw the sheet away when everything is complete...

Good luck!

I have a pretty slick Access database that TMOCM made.

How does the database work versus an excell spreadsheet?

I use an excell spreadsheet with columns labeled

cache name, real name, address, coin requested, coin offered, date sent, and received.

Works great IF I remember to use!!!

Like the tracking number column also.

Also I try to retrieve the activation numbers for all coins. Clearly state that the coins are not activated!

Hard to explain, because I am not a computer person. There are blank fields, such as address/trade sent/trade received/etc, in Access to enter my data (when I remember). Each trade has a separate sheet, and I can view various reports (breakdown of the data). I used to use Excel to track trades; the Excel file that I used to use was basically a worksheet/list of transactions. I believe, and I could be wrong here, that data is more easy to manipulate (ie: sort) in a database. I am sure someone more knowledgable than I can explain the difference between the two programs and their capabilities.

There are geocoin tracking software programs out there, too.

I use Access to keep a database of all my coins with columns to mark whether they are traders, keepers, activated, released, etc (as well as other info including acquisition when/where/from whom/blah blah blah).

I also keep an Access file of traded coins (outgoing) and just move the important info from the original database to the Coins_Gone database when I trade one off.

I also keep a Trades loose leaf notebook with a table I made in Word. In it I write the date the trade was agreed to, name of trader, geonick (if I have it), address, ingoing and outgoing coins, dates mailed/received and a place for notes.

I make the entry in the notebook when the agreement is reached then later update my databases. I prefer this method just in case my computer crashes (knock on wood) so I don't miss sending a coin. I also put an updated print out of my coins database in it every so often. And I'm careful to keep my geocoincollection.com info up to date with my database.

How's that for TMI? :unsure:

I use Excel (similiar to Microsoft Works) with columns such as:

Geocacher name

Real name

Address

How many coins trading we are trading

The coins i'm sending

Date I sent it

Coins they are sending me

Date I received it

Then I use color code the whole line like:

Blue means its waiting on me for something

Green means I'm waiting for it to come from them

Black means nothing has happened on either end

Purple means its a done deal on both ends

This way all I have to do is scroll down thru the list to see if something is needed somewhere - without having to read the actual trades

I also use a different page for different coins, example

LD v1 coins

LD v2 coins

Cache aid coins

Do Unto Others coins

Misc trades (that don't fall into the other categories)

I also keep a folder online that says trades and all trades go into it for backup purposes. If you have it on both your computer (spreadsheet software program) AND your online server...that way you are saved thus either your computer OR your server crash and you lose everything. Always backup!! LOL

One time I had someone email me a YEAR after the trade to say that they hadn't received my trade yet and was i going to send it? Well thank goodness I keep such good track of my trades. All I had to do was go back thru my Excel spreadsheet to see what we traded and when. As it was, we both completed our trades and I was able to list off the trade and went it was sent and received. After I wrote back and gave him that information he realized it wasn't me who owed him and he also remembered our trade and that it was infact completed...thanked me again for it and apologized LOL

dflye...I think after talking to you I will add TRACKING numbers to my Excel sheet. Good idea!!!

Steph....its time to become a modern working trader LOL :antenna::antenna::laughing:

Lori, I think after reading that that I can officially say that we are no longer twins seperated at birth, lol!

I am very high tech here... after losing Hanna's trade stuff I now have a .txt document that I use... called trades.txt...

Excel? Spreadsheets? Word documents???

*runs screaming from living room* (anyone wanting to join me running screaming from the room is welcome to join me :antenna: )

Ummmm....

Naomi :antenna: