Who is using a 4GB card?

Stiganator

According to the people who wrote the spec, a 4GB card must be SDHC or it is, as they say, off the reservation.

I don't who those spec writer people are, or what they wrote, or what they know.

However, I can tell you that I use this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820163159

4GB SD card (note: it is not an SDHC) in my DeLorme PN-20.

If you have another GPSr, YMMV.

I've seen people on here claiming they have successfully used 4GB cards in the Vista HCx.

What are the specs of that card. Does it have to be non-SDHC?

So much for the enlightened answers.............The Vista HCx does not even use an SD card !

It uses a MicroSD card.........totally different animal......AND......2GB max

Edited by Grasscatcher

I've seen people on here claiming they have successfully used 4GB cards in the Vista HCx.

So much for the enlightened answers.............The Vista HCx does not even use an SD card !

Hopefully, my answer was enlightened; if not, it certainly was conditioned.

I never addressed the subject of a 4GB card working or not working in a Vista HCx.

Gee thanks!! I was wondering why I had so much trouble forcing my 2GB SD card into the micro-SD slot. :):D

Gee thanks!! I was wondering why I had so much trouble forcing my 2GB SD card into the micro-SD slot. :):D

A little dab'll do you, Brylcreem that is. :D

Edited by CowboyPapa

You can use 4GB in order to load 2048MB of maps (at the moment, maybe in future more is possible) - so effectively you gain about 200MB over a 2GB card (which has about 1930MB effective space after formatting - so leaving 100MB for non card things, gives you 200MB increase of Map Space)

AND NO - THERE IS NO 2025 Map LIMIT on HCx or CSx units.

See picture on here for 4GB card(I hope it's not only for people logged in)

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showpost.php?p=...mp;postcount=41

Edited by extremecarver

I don't understand why people say they don't exist, because they obviously do exist, its just a matter as to whether they work.

The people who control the format say they don't exist. You can listen to Joe Sixpack in the forum, at the store, at the cache, or on eBay, but the people who control the format say there is no such thing as a 4GB SD card. Anything > 4GB that looks like an ~SD card has to be SDHC or it is not compliant and therefore not SD.

Q.E.D.

I am not telling anyone not to buy a 4GB card; I am telling people not to complain if they don't work or if they work strangely. 4GB "SD" is a hack. Be grateful if it works at all (assuming it does).

I don't understand why people say they don't exist, because they obviously do exist, its just a matter as to whether they work.

The people who control the format say they don't exist. You can listen to Joe Sixpack in the forum, at the store, at the cache, or on eBay, but the people who control the format say there is no such thing as a 4GB SD card. Anything > 4GB that looks like an ~SD card has to be SDHC or it is not compliant and therefore not SD.

Q.E.D.

I am not telling anyone not to buy a 4GB card; I am telling people not to complain if they don't work or if they work strangely. 4GB "SD" is a hack. Be grateful if it works at all (assuming it does).

Well. I don't know what is a "hack" and what is not a "hack."

All I can say is that I am using the 4GB Transcend SD card to which I've provided the link above.

Note that it is not claimed to be compliant with the SDHC spec and I could care less about the spec as long as it works.

Note that Transcend does make and offer SD cards that are SDHC compliant and it describes them as such.

No, I do not have one of those - I have a non-SDHC compliant 4GB SD card and it works.

Hopefully, it works, or am I hallucinating? :laughing:

What does QED mean, anyway? Something really doesn't work that I think is working but I'm just dreaming it?