Why can't I download the builder?

iluvbuilding429

Let me ask a few questions so I understand what you are seeing.

You're at the download page where there's a graphic that says "Download Builder" and you are logged in, right? You click the graphic, something comes up, and then a box says "done".

First off, what browser are you using? If you're using IE, so you see a yellow bar across the top of the web page? Have you tried holding the Ctrl key through the click and download process?

Do you have your browser defaulting to a specific download folder, such as the desktop? If so, the installation file will be downloaded there and you won't see anything more.

Or did you download the installation program, run it, and it says it's done? Do you have .Net 2 on your computer (check it by going to "Add or Remove Programs" and looking for "Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0" in the list)?

To help you more than this, I'll need to ask you to describe your problem a little more. If you have found an answer, please post that as well. Who knows if others have had your same problem?

Was just reading about the new Garmin Colorado - quite exciting... the article brought me to the Wherigo site. This sounds absolutely fabulous! The only thing I'm distressed about, is that the builder is a Windows-only app. Any plans to make a cross-platform version that runs on a Mac?? Perhaps make it a Java app, so it runs on Linux too?

It's a really exciting idea, I just hate to see creation of cartridges limited to just Windows with .Net installed.

Was just reading about the new Garmin Colorado - quite exciting... the article brought me to the Wherigo site. This sounds absolutely fabulous! The only thing I'm distressed about, is that the builder is a Windows-only app. Any plans to make a cross-platform version that runs on a Mac?? Perhaps make it a Java app, so it runs on Linux too?

It's a really exciting idea, I just hate to see creation of cartridges limited to just Windows with .Net installed.

The Builder is just an interface to make programming Lua easier. You can open up a Lua file on any platform and start programming - it's just harder. And you can compile your cartridge using the same web services on the web site - again without the Builder. Just the media and lua script zipped up in a file will work.

It's likely we'll go completely to the web at some point so we can be completely platform independent, but our hope is that others who wish to create interfaces to Lua would build their own tools on other platforms as well.

One way to look at Wherigo is that it is a way to take mapping mashups and bring them outdoors. We have a number of freely available tools and once we do a better job documenting them we hope it will encourage people to play with the platform more.