Saving Cache Information

dovagean

Being a newbie, I have many questions!

Once you decide which cache you want to search for and you get the lat/long entered into your gps unit, what is the best way to have the information related to the cache with you without being able to maintain an internet connection?

Do most cachers print the page with the information related to the cache or what?

I may be making this more complicated than it is, but it seems that it would be hard to decide before you leave your home and your internet connection where you will go considering so many caches are out there to be found.

More to follow I am sure

dovagean

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

Do a Search for "paperless caching." You will find many threads about how people use an inexpensive Palm and Pocket Queries in conjunction GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), in order to carry the cache information with them on the trail. I have a Palm m500 and have the descriptions for more than 5000 caches (including the ones I have found) in Cachemate on it.

I refresh the caches in my GPS unit before leaving the house, depending on which direction I am heading. I'll frequently put 850 caches in it, just in case I change my mind about the area I am heading towards after I leave the house.

To get Pocket Queries, you have to become a Premium Member, but that is only $30 for an entire year. :P

Being a newbie, I have many questions!

Once you decide which cache you want to search for and you get the lat/long entered into your gps unit, what is the best way to have the information related to the cache with you without being able to maintain an internet connection?

Do most cachers print the page with the information related to the cache or what?

I may be making this more complicated than it is, but it seems that it would be hard to decide before you leave your home and your internet connection where you will go considering so many caches are out there to be found.

More to follow I am sure

dovagean

A print out will do fine for your first cache hunt. Later on, if you really get into it, then you may want to consider going paperless.

Also, for you first hunt, I would reccomend looking for caches with low difficulty (1 or 1½ stars.)

Markwell tutorial on Pocket Queries after you spend the $30 to be a Premium member: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Then get a cheap palm or ppc to carry the details with you - can be had for about $25 on ebay - cheaper than even one ink cartidge for your printer!! Add $8 for cachemate and you are all set. Go used so if you drop it in a mud puddle you won't be sad.

or...

Spend the $430 or so to buy the new Garmin Colorado 300 GPS and you can go totally paperless all in one unit.