Okay, I'm CoNfUsEd!

obxWaMi

I understand the TB's, but now I'm really confused about how coins work.

If a coin doesn't have a tracking number on it you can keep it?? :P

I've only seen two, both were left by the same person- in different caches here in my area. I didn't pick one up because I thought the idea was to move coins from cache to cache and I knew I wouldn't be leaving my local area any time soon. I didn't even take time to inspect them, but I don't think they had tracking numbers on them. Were they meant to be swapped like other SWAG?

I would love to collect coins, please help me get started...

obxWaMi

Michelle

Adding more confusion--- I read a few more posts and I'm more confused.. Are trackable coins collected too?

Edited by obxWaMi

Adding more confusion--- I read a few more posts and I'm more confused.. Are trackable coins collected too?

If you find a coin in a cache that has been activated treat it as a TB. Moving it along from cache to cache.

If you find a coin in a cache that is unactivated. Trade for it equally. You then can activated and use it as a TB. Or you can just put it in your collection for everyone to drool over. Or activate it and keep it for your collection so others then can discover it.

Welcome to the world of GeoCoins. :P

If you find a coin in a cache that has been activated treat it as a TB. Moving it along from cache to cache.

If you find a coin in a cache that is unactivated. Trade for it equally. You then can activated and use it as a TB. Or you can just put it in your collection for everyone to drool over. Or activate it and keep it for your collection so others then can discover it.

Welcome to the world of GeoCoins. :unsure:

Sometimes, you may not know if it is activated or not until you get back to a computer and log it. So, no matter what coin you find, make sure that if you pick it up, that you log it. Even then, it may appear Not to be activated and that may be the time to try different # like 6 for 8 0 for o and visa versa.

No worries . . . once you get "bit by the bug" you'll eventually get the hang of it. It really isn't as confusing as it appears :P

WELCOME ! ! !

If a coin is trackable, check to see if it's activated. If it's not trackable, check to see if it was supposed to include traveling information. Sometimes travel bug tags are included with a non-trackable coin or other types of information. Groundspeak is not the only method for tracking an items travels.

More than likely a non-trackable coin is left as a memento at a memorable cache, but it's usually not too difficult to find in the logs who placed the coin there. If you're still in doubt, you could try to contact the person who placed it.