Hints! I thought I could

dcuster

I have a Jeep, a Canoe a Garmin GPSmap 76CSX, Garmin TOPO 2008, Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager AND I'm a premium member. After reading all the helpful info I can now download Cashe Waypoints, and names into TOPO 2008 and my GPS. I have also used the Pocket Querie function but I still can't figure out how to get the "Hints" into my GPS or if it is even possible. I guess I'm just lazy, but I thought I had everything I needed to do this. Please Help!

I have a Jeep, a Canoe a Garmin GPSmap 76CSX, Garmin TOPO 2008, Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager AND I'm a premium member. After reading all the helpful info I can now download Cashe Waypoints, and names into TOPO 2008 and my GPS. I have also used the Pocket Querie function but I still can't figure out how to get the "Hints" into my GPS or if it is even possible. I guess I'm just lazy, but I thought I had everything I needed to do this. Please Help!

Generally pocket queries are used to load the description and hints into a PDA , and can be used to load the coordinates and cache names into a gpsr unit. I don't think you can load load hints into a gpsr unless what you use for a gpsr is something 'intergrated' a garmin iQue, or some type of pda thats been fitted with a gps add on.

Hi dcuster,

You can do it with GSAK in the regular cache entries. Export the GCxxxx cache name in the title field and use the description field for a short entry that can include a one letter size identifier and most of the hint. You can get more in POI's, and there is probably a way to automatically get the hint into the POI with GSAK, however, I don't know what it is.

Using the Waypoint Manager . . . maybe somebody else can jump in.

Cache On!

JohnTee

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

If you use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to send the waypoints to your GPSr, it is easy to get the name of the cache, and even part of the hint on your GPSr. These are the codes I use in the "Smart Name" feature, but you can customize these for what you think is important.

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank:

%Name=10 %hint

If you use Garmin's POI loader, you can get even more information on thousands of caches loaded as POIs to your GPSr. Check out this thread in the Forums about "Silly Garmin POI Tricks." :P

Miragee -

Those are great GSAK tips, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to enter them into GSAK. I assume there is a place where I can put

And form then on any imports will contain that name as its smart name. But I can't figure out where I enter that line anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forums! :P

If you use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to send the waypoints to your GPSr, it is easy to get the name of the cache, and even part of the hint on your GPSr. These are the codes I use in the "Smart Name" feature, but you can customize these for what you think is important.

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

%Name=10 %hint

If you use Garmin's POI loader, you can get even more information on thousands of caches loaded as POIs to your GPSr. Check out this thread in the Forums about "Silly Garmin POI Tricks." :unsure:

I load %smart=20 %hint so I get the entire name for the bulk of caches and the most of the hint.

Welcome to the Forums! :P

%Name=10 %hint

If you use Garmin's POI loader, you can get even more information on thousands of caches loaded as POIs to your GPSr. Check out this thread in the Forums about "Silly Garmin POI Tricks." :unsure:

I have the gsak now and it works ok. I will try and play with the POI some more as it seems to have the most potential. Maybe this is to simple to ask, but how can you download multiple cashes in GPX eXchange mode? I can download multiple waypoints into gsak but if I want all the info it seems I have to download the GPX files individually.

You need to create Pocket Queries. For this "cache rich" area, I set up several by "Date Placed" to cover my potential search area efficiently, and so I could keep my GSAK database up-to-date while allowing the Past Logs to accrue as I add more PQs.

This is how I set up one section of the PQ Form:

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

For your first PQs, don't use the option for "Home Coordinates." It is "buggy." Also, don't select any Attributes. Those are problematic as well.

After filling out the form, Preview it to make sure you are getting the results you expect. Then chose the current day for it to run. You should get it in your email InBox in just a few minutes.

You need to create Pocket Queries. For this "cache rich" area, I set up several by "Date Placed" to cover my potential search area efficiently, and so I could keep my GSAK database up-to-date while allowing the Past Logs to accrue as I add more PQs.

This is how I set up one section of the PQ Form:

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

For your first PQs, don't use the option for "Home Coordinates." It is "buggy." Also, don't select any Attributes. Those are problematic as well.

After filling out the form, Preview it to make sure you are getting the results you expect. Then chose the current day for it to run. You should get it in your email InBox in just a few minutes.

You forgot to check "Are noton my ignore list." That one is important! :P