Metric on Whereigo

xeriph

Hi to all Wherigo community...

this is my first post and I wish all the envolved a good future for this project, as it opens new space for ideas, events and all sorts of outdoor activities.

I started to use the Builder to do some basic program testing. I never used lua, but the IDE is simple enough to start with. I have a lot of raster maps georeferenced for my area and also i am used to cross GE information and raster map information. As I experienced before, there's an variable offset in GE satelllite coordinates which affects more or less 'the hole world', so urban areas, narrow zones and distances below 30 meters in most cases should be field checked if used for accurate Wherigo experiences and coding.

My zone creation tests showed a bug I think it is easy to take care of: I am from Portugal, so metric units are my mother unit.

When creating a zone, in the editing of distance and proximity, although changed to metric unit, the builder saves and create script file as 'feet' with the same value, affecting those spaces in the field. I stated this on the code generated and in the emulator, as I felt distance and proximiity boundaries too close to the zone defined. Only editing by hand the .lua file parameters in Distance(...,"[uNITTYPE]) to metric made the cartridge act as i expected.

A second point relates to this, as the emulator shows also distance in feet or miles. Can this be an option on the emulator too?. Is this contemplated in the player for PocketPC for metric users? I will try to make some field testing with a QTEK 9090 PDA in some weeks so see if things run, triyng to check if ithis HW works too and how...

I hope to write more about Wherigo, as i became immediate fan of this idea.

Edited by xeriph

Hi to all Wherigo community...

this is my first post and I wish all the envolved a good future for this project, as it opens new space for ideas, events and all sorts of outdoor activities.

I started to use the Builder to do some basic program testing. I never used lua, but the IDE is simple enough to start with. I have a lot of raster maps georeferenced for my area and also i am used to cross GE information and raster map information. As I experienced before, there's an variable offset in GE satelllite coordinates which affects more or less 'the hole world', so urban areas, narrow zones and distances below 30 meters in most cases should be field checked if used for accurate Wherigo experiences and coding.

My zone creation tests showed a bug I think it is easy to take care of: I am from Portugal, so metric units are my mother unit.

When creating a zone, in the editing of distance and proximity, although changed to metric unit, the builder saves and create script file as 'feet' with the same value, affecting those spaces in the field. I stated this on the code generated and in the emulator, as I felt distance and proximiity boundaries too close to the zone defined. Only editing by hand the .lua file parameters in Distance(...,"[uNITTYPE]) to metric made the cartridge act as i expected.

A second point relates to this, as the emulator shows also distance in feet or miles. Can this be an option on the emulator too?. Is this contemplated in the player for PocketPC for metric users? I will try to make some field testing with a QTEK 9090 PDA in some weeks so see if things run, triyng to check if ithis HW works too and how...

I hope to write more about Wherigo, as i became immediate fan of this idea.

Hi, thanks for the great info. We have some localization work to do. I will look into the units issue next week.

David

In adition to the things I mentioned, I stated also the following situation: as Portuguese uses accentuated chars ( ç, á , é,etc.... ) there's currently no way to get those texts correct and variable names working fine...

The name created/edited for a zone ion builder is used both for the 'name' property and lua object name...

Let's get WhereitGo builder with worldwide support...