Supporting Wherigo Player Hardware

Jeremy

Just tried a couple with a Dell Axim X3(Windows 03) connected to an Etrex Summit and I'm really happy to tell you it works perfectly. ;)

I have a new Legend HCx. I know I can connect it via USB to my laptop using National Geographic's TOPO for example. Would this approach work if the laptop were running Wherigo? Since a laptop in the field is awkward, would it work for a non-GPS Pocket PC running Wherigo - i.e. could it link to the Legend via USB?

I'm just not ready to buy a Colorado yet. Nor do I want to fork out for a GPS enabled pocket PC since I already have a great handheld GPSr :laughing:

Thanks.

WOOOO! After finally hoping for two months, :blink: Groundspeak finally releases a verion of the PPC player that allows manual configuration of the GPS. That was the only thing separating me from a great Wherigo experience. My Pharos Traveler GPS 525+ has a built in GPS chip that is apparently very good, but the player could never find it for some reason, as it was on COM4 and at 9600 baud rate. I am so happy and the accuracy seems to have improved even better than it is for car navigation - I'm sitting inside at my desk, and i'm getting good reception. Can't wait to start! Happy WherIgoing everyone! :grin:<_<:anitongue::unsure:

Today downloaded Wherigo and compact frame work into my Dopod 818 pro with either Garmin 10x or GlobalSat BT-338. It worked smoothly without problem. Once the GPS fixed, on the Wherigo top right signal changed into green.

I saw the thread on Wherigo and Bluetooth but I can't find the thread.

For BT pairing:

After pair and psscode entered. Then you tap the com port > select the new out going port. My case I selected to com 6.

If you selected the incoming port it will not worked for you.

I will tried on !Paq 6965 internal and BT GPSr as soon as possible.

OK, Im having a real problem with my new MIO P550. Activesync 4.5 installed and Ive set it up to sync files only at the moment. When I set it up activesync created a copy folder on my desktop. Ive put some small files in this folder, when i sync they do not move across to my device, and Activesync does not show any error messages.

When I manually try to copy and past files across from desktop to PDA I get an error message saying "The system cannot find the file specified" during the copy and convert to mobile device format process.

EDIT - Ive now managed to bluetooth across the Wherigo cab file and install but the player wont play without the .net compact framework 2, when i install this on my work laptop and home desktop I get the error message saying that it cannot connect to PDA device, despite the fact the device is connected to Activesync 4.5.

Im now at a loss so any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

Edited by Chaotica_UK

I'm happy to report that the Dell Axim X51v Pocket PC and a $89.99 Pharos Pocket GPS-360 work well with Wherigo! The only drawback was that I had to come up with a portable 12 volt power supply! I was able to do this with a small 5 amp battery (purchased from a local battery store for about $29) and a cigarette lighter plug. The battery is small enough to fit in a fanny purse or a back pack. Had a little trouble with tree cover in one spot, but it wasn't bad overall.

I have it going fine on a I-Mate JasJam with a Holux external Bluetooth GPS.

The JasJam is running Windows Mobile 6 which is a lot more stable than WM5 and GPS support is a lot better.

I played my first Wherigo cartridge here in NZ today and it was great !

Steve..

I have an HP rx5915 with the latest firmware and see that others have gotten it working. When I run the tutorial pack, the GPS bars at the top right hand corner go solid green - which I'm interpreting to mean the program is talking to the GPS happily. The problem is, when I try to wear my spacesuit, I'm told that the GPS signal is 'not optimal' and to try wandering around or changing settings.

When I try manual settings for my GPS (Comm 4, 9600 baud), it goes to an immediate error. (Stopping GPS... then 'Error starting the GPS, the serial port could not be opened.')

Any ideas? Thanks.

- TB

I'm running iQue M4s and an M5.

How did you get it to work with the M5? I can't get it to go beyond the screen GPS device detection in progress screen. I tried uninstalling Wherigo and reinstalling it. that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

I too am having trouble with my Garmin Ique m5. I did everything in order as far as i know but I can get the tutorial started but if I scroll the screen down to see what they are saying, the whole thing freezes up and I have to do a soft reset. But once I do this, when I start Wherigo up, it never gets past the "detecting gps" screen. I have tried the test gps in the menu and it says the test was a success but yet still no love. To get it to work again I have to restore it to the way it was prior to doing any installs. So that I can start from the very begining but afterwards I get the same cycle over again.

Please someone HELP. I was hoping to be the first person to have one of these set up in Arizona.

THANKS in advance.

Okay, I had everything fine but since the new player update last night, now it shows the task but it does not show the locations any more. I am using the Garmin Ique M5. I tried reinstalling everything but it will not work. It did work before the most recent update of the player. And now I can not find the older version to go back to. Any help?? I guess I should add that I also DL the newest builder too but that doesn't seem to be a factor in the problem as other cartridges don't work now either, not just the ones I built myself. And also it works in the emulator.

Edited by JDubPooch

HI,

I’m trying to use the Wherigo software on my Ipaq 6515. I’m having problem because the 6515 has a non-standard screen size that is smaller than most Ipaq. The autodetect feature for GPS doesn’t work for me and the manual configuration is outside of the screen.

Any suggestion? I sent an email to the dev Team and asked them to revise the program with scroll bars. They will take it into consideration. In the mean time I'm wondering if someone else has the same problem

Arghh2006

I have an HP rx5915 with the latest firmware and see that others have gotten it working. When I run the tutorial pack, the GPS bars at the top right hand corner go solid green - which I'm interpreting to mean the program is talking to the GPS happily. The problem is, when I try to wear my spacesuit, I'm told that the GPS signal is 'not optimal' and to try wandering around or changing settings.

When I try manual settings for my GPS (Comm 4, 9600 baud), it goes to an immediate error. (Stopping GPS... then 'Error starting the GPS, the serial port could not be opened.')

Any ideas? Thanks.

- TB

I had the same problem with my Dell AXIM X51v but upgraded to the latest version (v2.0.5004.4972) and it resolved the problem. Now only if I could see the entire contents on the VGA screen of the AXIM instead of only the top 2/3 of the text it will make reading easier :laughing: !

Does anyone know if there's a solution availble to run the Wherigo-player on a Blackberry 8800

If it's not based on Windows Mobile, a player application is not yet available. A timetable has not yet been mentioned.

Windows Mobile Professional, not Standard, as smartphones are Windows Mobile, but are not supported because of their lack of a touchscreen.

I use a Pharos GPS 525+ which is a Windows Mobile 5.1 Pocket PC platform and built-in GPSr.

Like others, I had to update the .NET support first.

The GPSr auto-detect did not work so I manually set it to COM4 9600 baud.

After that, everything worked well with the tutorial and the "But Is it Art?" cartridge :lol:

There is one problem that might come up. You need the .Net Compact Framework v2 to be installed. I don't know if you have it. To check, on your PDA, go to "Start", "Settings", click on the "System" tab at the bottom, find the option "Remove Programs" and tap it. Look for "Microsoft .Net CF 2.0" in the list (it's not in alphabetical order). If you don't have it, there's another step you must take before you install the player. Reply to the post and I'll give you some instructions on installing that. I'll be going off memory on that one, but it should be easy to do since you have already synched your PDA (in short, download the .Net Compact Framework redistributable from the "get it now" link on the same Wherigo page that lets you download the player, run the program on your computer, sync your PDA, and look to your PDA's screen to allow the installation).

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on tis thread.

I downloaded Wherigo onto my miop550 and when trying to run it get "This application (player.exe) requires a newer version of the Microsoft.NET Compact Framework than the version installed on this device.

though when i look into the remove programs it isn't there to remove. I have managed to find a newer version and downloaded it to my PC i have run it on my pc and syncronised my mio but it still says the same message. I am running windows vista on my pc if that makes any difference any help greatly apprieciated

Fiona

I am having a problem that is opposite of this. When I try to install the .NET CF 2, it keeps telling me that "A newer version of NETCF is installed which must be removed before installing this version." I do not see anyway to uninstall it because it does not show up in the program list. I am using an iPAQ 111 with OS Version 5.2. I cannot get the Wherigo player to see my bluetooth connected GPS (a VisionTac VGPS 500). I have a mapping program on the PDA that sees it fine. Any ideas?

Ok, I was thumbing around in the PDA and came across a NETCF installation document that showed the install history. It says that it was trying to install version 2.0.5238.00 but detected version 2.0.7045.00. Does this still count as version 2 even though it is newer than the one on microsoft's website?

Edited by Nakedbamboo
Ok, I was thumbing around in the PDA and came across a NETCF installation document that showed the install history. It says that it was trying to install version 2.0.5238.00 but detected version 2.0.7045.00. Does this still count as version 2 even though it is newer than the one on microsoft's website?

I guess you're running the player, so that version of the .NET CF should be fine. I can't think of anything else in the probable version history that would cause a problem. As for it not detecting the GPSr, the only thing I would do if I had the device in my hand is to disable GPS sharing and try it port by port if I can't figure out on which port it's communicating.

I guess you're running the player, so that version of the .NET CF should be fine. I can't think of anything else in the probable version history that would cause a problem. As for it not detecting the GPSr, the only thing I would do if I had the device in my hand is to disable GPS sharing and try it port by port if I can't figure out on which port it's communicating.

I am assuming that in the program, the signal bars in the top right should turn green. Is this correct? Because my whole assumption was based on the fact that these stayed red and that nothing seemed to be happening within the program. What is the GPS Test supposed to do? It stops changing after "GPS stopped..." This then causes my GPS to blink in the "Not Connected" fashion. If I try using a port manually, it will give an error about not being able to detect a GPS. This makes me think it is talking to the GPS, and I just do not really know what I am trying to accomplish.

I have a HTC touch diamond too.

At installing I took the manual installation of the GPS and set it to COM4, speed: 9600.

It 'works' but I have the problem as described in the topic VGA resolution (issues with on WM6 & iPAQ 214) which has to do with the fact that the diamond has a VGA screen and it seems that the Wherigo player can not handle this resolution.

(rom version 1.93.404.1 NLD / Wherigo version 2.0.5129.5191)

Edited by ian3

At installing I took the manual installation of the GPS and set it to COM4, speed: 9600.

It 'works' but I have the problem as described in the topic VGA resolution (issues with on WM6 & iPAQ 214) which has to do with the fact that the diamond has a VGA screen and it seems that the Wherigo player can not handle this resolution.

How can I change my settings to com 4 and manual?

Do I have to reinstall Wherigo?

Start Wherigo on your mobile. Go to menu. Go to settings.

un-tick the box before 'Auto detect Gps.

Open the dropdown of Comm Port and select COM4:

Open the dropdown for Speed: and select 9600

Press Test Gps Settings. This should give (after some seconds): Gps Test Success.....

Then press the OK button.

Success.

The first time it can take minutes before you get a real fix of your Gps within Wherigo. But this is normal.

Start Wherigo on your mobile. Go to menu. Go to settings.

un-tick the box before 'Auto detect Gps.

Open the dropdown of Comm Port and select COM4:

Open the dropdown for Speed: and select 9600

Press Test Gps Settings. This should give (after some seconds): Gps Test Success.....

Then press the OK button.

Success.

The first time it can take minutes before you get a real fix of your Gps within Wherigo. But this is normal.

I have done as you said; At the stage of test Gps settings, I get an error;

Error starting the gps.

A $GPGGA sentence contained unrecognizable data.

So, what I can I do about that?

Edited by cachorganic

does Wherigo work on the iphone?

are there plans for it to work?

thanks

There not yet a Player for the iPhone. I would not be surprised to see one.

With my experience with the iPhone, however, I'm a little apprehensive about what would happen if you were to play a cartridge with small zones. The iPhone 3G has a GPS receiver; it is not a GPSr itself and seems less accurate. But we'll see what happens.

does Wherigo work on the iphone?

are there plans for it to work?

thanks

There not yet a Player for the iPhone. I would not be surprised to see one.

With my experience with the iPhone, however, I'm a little apprehensive about what would happen if you were to play a cartridge with small zones. The iPhone 3G has a GPS receiver; it is not a GPSr itself and seems less accurate. But we'll see what happens.

If Groundspeak comes out with a Wherigo App for the iPhone I would buy it right away!