Vista HCx/City Navigator

fastforty

Ugh! I spent over 3 hours a few nights ago (reading posts here, as well as numerous pages on the Garmin web site and on retailers sites) deciding which version of City Navigator to order for our Vista HCx. The general consensus was definitely NT version of City Navigator & my personal choice was the latest version available due to the fact that I will probably never update it considering the ridiculous price to do so.

I *thought* I was ordering a 2008 NT version of the software. I have received what I ordered (by part number) and it is NOT the NT version, nor does it even have a v. number on it. I Googled the product code (010-10474-00) and results were returned saying that it is v.6, v.7 & v.8 (it is described as v.8 on the invoice) so I don't have a clue what it really is- some retailers say that it is a discontinued product.

The online retailer that I purchased it from says that they accept returns on unopened software at full price/credit, and their site shows that they sell City Navigator NT v.8 for the same price as I paid for this software (which I don't have a clue what it is). None of Garmin's product compatibility charts/pages will load now (they did the night I was ordering) so I'm pretty much in the dark as to if this software would or would not work with my unit.

The code at the bottom of the City Navigator North America DVD case is:

007-00347-05 Rev. A 171-00152-05

Any input would be appreciated :D

Ugh! I spent over 3 hours a few nights ago (reading posts here, as well as numerous pages on the Garmin web site and on retailers sites) deciding which version of City Navigator to order for our Vista HCx. The general consensus was definitely NT version of City Navigator & my personal choice was the latest version available due to the fact that I will probably never update it considering the ridiculous price to do so.

I *thought* I was ordering a 2008 NT version of the software. I have received what I ordered (by part number) and it is NOT the NT version, nor does it even have a v. number on it. I Googled the product code (010-10474-00) and results were returned saying that it is v.6, v.7 & v.8 (it is described as v.8 on the invoice) so I don't have a clue what it really is- some retailers say that it is a discontinued product.

The online retailer that I purchased it from says that they accept returns on unopened software at full price/credit, and their site shows that they sell City Navigator NT v.8 for the same price as I paid for this software (which I don't have a clue what it is). None of Garmin's product compatibility charts/pages will load now (they did the night I was ordering) so I'm pretty much in the dark as to if this software would or would not work with my unit.

Sounds like you have 010-10474-00 MapSource City Navigator North America

And you want 010-10816-00 MapSource City Navigator North America NT. Just swap them out as it's not open.

The version you got is the City Navigator which is not the "NT" which stands for new technology. The NT version takes up less space on your MicroSD card. I'm thinking it should work on your HCX the same as the NT does.

No, version 8 (released 2006) is not the latest. Version 2008 (released 2007) is the latest but v.8 does have an advantage over 2008. Version 8 has two unlock codes that allows you to put it on two GPS’s. You can also order a free version 2008 update when you register it that can be used on the first GPS unlocked to the v.8. Version 2008 only has one unlock for one GPS. Both the regular City Navigator and the NT (New Technology compressed version) will work on your Vista HCx.

Hmm, then if that is the case then these guys have the wrong info posted about it here?

http://www.erwincomputers.com/0101081600.html

They say it has the 2008 maps, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

Thanks for the help!

Looks like they are selling the older V8 maps. From what I've heard it doesn't really matter if you end up with the older version, since you bought after the new version came out as soon as you register the maps with garmin they offer you a FREE update to the newest maps.

If you got part # 010-10474-00 you did not get the NT version. If you really want the NT version send it back and get the NT version. If it was your order mistake, you may have to pay for shipping it back. The item # 010-10816-00 is the part # for the full NT version. Mapsource City Navigator NT US North America version 8 -(the 2006 version) and City Navigator NT US North America 2008 - (the 2007 version) - have the same Garmin item number - 010-10816-00. The only identification feature on the package that has 2008 is on the UPC code label on the back of the package. 2008 is written vertically on the left side of the UPC label. I'm sure its the same for the non NT version. The version you got - 010-10474-00 - will work on the Vista HCX but I understand that the whole US would take up about 1.6 gig of space on the 2 gig microsd, while the NT version would take up about 1 gig of space, leaving more room for other maps,etc. My understanding is that the NT and non NT version perform exactly the same. Hope this helps. Sli23sli

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanx everyone. It's on it's way back, customer service was very polite & helpful (Tigergps.com). I read in another post that once your memory card gets over 75% full, the map drawing process slows down a little. I probably would have went ahead & used this software because I will only have my home state on my unit 99% of the time, & only 4 or 5 states if we ever get to go on vacation again. I do have another GPS that only has 24MB internal memory (Etrex Venture HC) & since the v.8 has 2 unlock codes I thought it best to wait for the compressed version.