Tutorial crashing & Cartridge files not found

Spyder_Cacher

When I use the tutorial it keeps crashing. Each time it seems to get a bit further, but nevertheless I can't keep it running (soft restart required to unfreeze the unit). I downloaded the tutorial file thinking the original may be corrupted, but it does not show on the cartridge list; nor does the j2b2_village_robot file that I downloaded. How do I get the player to see them?

Dan

Garmin iQue M5

We have heard odd reports of cartridges not being seen on a Pocket PC device. When this happens we recommend renaming the cartridge on the device (but leave the extension). It seems to be a Pocket PC issue.

I have a Garmin iQue M4 and have it working on that device.

Edited by Jeremy

We have heard odd reports of cartridges not being seen on a Pocket PC device. When this happens we recommend renaming the cartridge on the device (but leave the extension). It seems to be a Pocket PC issue.

I have a Garmin iQue M4 and have it working on that device.

Which directory should the cartridge files be in? I am seeing the following directories on my device

My Documents/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Cartridges

and

Program Files/Wherigo Player/Cartridges

and none if the files in these directories have extensions on them.

I can display my cartridges by loading them into My Device\My Documents\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Cartridges.

I've been keeping silent on this thread because I can't offer suggestions or solutions for GPSr connectivity problems. That's out of my realm of experience with the software and to suggest anything other than the rudimentary could be worse than not suggesting anything at all.

Here we are again... I have downloaded the latest palyer (Wherigo Player for PocketPC Version: 2.0.4807.4913 dated 2/11/2008 and still get the same results as before: GPS Device Detection in Progress... with the hourglass spinning away. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the player and cannot get it to work. Any ideas?

GPS Device Detection in Progress... with the hourglass spinning away. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the player and cannot get it to work. Any ideas?

Had to reload MapSource after my Wherigo install. Got the maps working again but no matter how I start the unit up (GPS off or on) I also get stuck at the "GPS Device Detection in Progress..." screen with the hourglass.

All right - got it.

you just have to place the files again to your cardridge directory on your PPC while the player is running.

Or was it switched off?? :laughing:

Hmmm.... but now it works fine again. ;)

So you don´t have to install everything new!

That´s not even worth the time and won´t work also.

Edited by eles78

All right - got it.

you just have to place the files again to your cardridge directory on your PPC while the player is running.

Or was it switched off?? <_<

Hmmm.... but now it works fine again. :)

OK, I removed my cartridges from the .../Cartridges directory, started the GPS, started the player once I had a satellite lock, copied the cartridges back into the proper directory... and still I just get "GPS Device Detection in Progress..." forever.

Anybody got the Wherigo player working on an M4 with Cachemate also installed?

Really odd thing is the first time I tried to run this after installation my bluetooth radio turned on and it was apparently trying to find a bluetooth GPS receiver...instead of finding the iQue's built-in GPS.

All right - got it.

Or was it switched off?? <_<

Hmmm.... but now it works fine again. :)

OK, I removed my cartridges from the .../Cartridges directory, started the GPS, started the player once I had a satellite lock, copied the cartridges back into the proper directory... and still I just get "GPS Device Detection in Progress..." forever.

Anybody got the Wherigo player working on an M4 with Cachemate also installed?

Really odd thing is the first time I tried to run this after installation my bluetooth radio turned on and it was apparently trying to find a bluetooth GPS receiver...instead of finding the iQue's built-in GPS.

On the M4, check to make sure that either the gps can be shared or that no other app is currently using the gps.

When I use the tutorial it keeps crashing. Each time it seems to get a bit further, but nevertheless I can't keep it running (soft restart required to unfreeze the unit). I downloaded the tutorial file thinking the original may be corrupted, but it does not show on the cartridge list; nor does the j2b2_village_robot file that I downloaded. How do I get the player to see them?

Dan

Garmin iQue M5

We've borrowed a Garmin iQue M4 for the weekend as we were having no luck with the Wherigo player recognising the GPS on our Medion 150 . We found we had the exact same problems as "Spyder_Cacher" with the tutorial locking up constantly and having to do a soft reset each time to get a bit further.

Eventually we gave up with the tutorial and tried playing two other play anywhere cartridges. The "Easter Egg Hunt" and "Las Vegas Mystery". Both played without a hitch and we completed them easily. Went back to try the tutorial and it was still locking up. There must be a bug with it somewhere.

I had a problem with my Oregon powering down while doing a Wherigo. It did it at the start and I'd have to restart the unit. Finally got thru most of it and it shut down just before the last stage. My batteries were fresh, Downloaded using windows xp. I'll try it again but hopefully someone has an idea about this.

I know of one issue in particular that will cause a Garmin unit to power off as you reported. I'm still under the assumption there are more.

For the issue I know about, a Message Box popping up while an Input Box is displayed will turn the unit off. The reason the unit powers off like that is because the Garmin player does not catch the error, which causes the player to crash, which in turn causes the unit's OS to crash--at least, that's what I can guess from a software developer's point of view.