2008 CO Mountain 4x4 Event

RocketMan

Saturday, July 26th

We are doing it a little later in the summer to make sure all the high country trails are clear of snow. This time, the official event will be an outdoor BBQ in the early evening after the 4x4 run. Joe Friday will be in charge of the BBQ. As before, the event will be open to all, not just those doing the 4x4 run. As a matter of fact, some folks will probably be hanging out at the event location all day as it will be a nice outdoor mountain venue.

The tentative location for the BBQ will be at the Burning Bear Campground area off highway 285. You can see a few pics of the area and find the location by looking at the cache page for the event that was held there on the same date back in 2003.

The the official event will be the evening dinner/gathering but folks will have the option of camping if they arrange that on their own (sites are 1st come first served/no reservations). Some of us will go up early to grab sites to have room for the event.

As far as the 4x4 trail(s) go, that is TBD, but there are some great trails in the area.

Here is the link to last years event.

RocketMan

P.S - Cachers from other states are welcome (Hint Hint).

Saturday, July 26th

We are doing it a little later in the summer to make sure all the high country trails are clear of snow. This time, the official event will be an outdoor BBQ in the early evening after the 4x4 run. Joe Friday will be in charge of the BBQ. As before, the event will be open to all, not just those doing the 4x4 run. As a matter of fact, some folks will probably be hanging out at the event location all day as it will be a nice outdoor mountain venue.

The tentative location for the BBQ will be at the Burning Bear Campground area off highway 285. You can see a few pics of the area and find the location by looking at the cache page for the event that was held there on the same date back in 2003.

The the official event will be the evening dinner/gathering but folks will have the option of camping if they arrange that on their own (sites are 1st come first served/no reservations). Some of us will go up early to grab sites to have room for the event.

As far as the 4x4 trail(s) go, that is TBD, but there are some great trails in the area.

Here is the link to last years event.

RocketMan

P.S - Cachers from other states are welcome (Hint Hint).

We'll come and show off the super-secret new Garmin California 900000 GPSr -- far superior to the Colorado 400 series...

This years event will be know as (Drum Roll Please):

Mountain Luau and 4x4 Caching Adventure

Should we surprise you and just show up??? :huh:

Woops, then it wouldn't be a surprise would it?

Hmmm, what to do , what to do? :ph34r:

Actually, we don't know if we can make it or not, er......maybe we can ~ or maybe we can't!

Maybe if we knew what kind of grub you were having! ;)

Mountain Luau doesn't refer to 'those Oyster things' does it?

The Splashes ;):D

Should we surprise you and just show up??? :huh:

Woops, then it wouldn't be a surprise would it?

Hmmm, what to do , what to do? :ph34r:

Actually, we don't know if we can make it or not, er......maybe we can ~ or maybe we can't!

Maybe if we knew what kind of grub you were having! ;)

Mountain Luau doesn't refer to 'those Oyster things' does it?

The Splashes ;):D

Oyster things you say. Yuck

Do pigs have those?

I picked the date early, so I don't want to hear any excuses this time. :D

When do you expect the cache page to be published?

Good question MM. From the listing guidelines:

"Events are generally published no more than three months prior to the date of the event, to avoid having the listing appear for a prolonged period of time on the nearest caches page and in the weekly e-mail notification of new caches. Exceptions are sometimes made for events that are designed to attract a regional, national or international group of geocachers, or if an overnight stay is expected as part of the event, requiring advance reservations and travel planning (for example, a campout)."

Hum - I wonder if an exception is warranted in this case? Anyone planning on camping? I'll have to ask that HCA fellow.

The "planning committee" has been kicking around trail ideas and it's looking like we will be wheeling somewhere in the area around Swan River/Deer Creek (See topo map and trail map below). This area is accessible from Breckenridge on the east, Montezuma on the north and 285 on the south.

We won't be able to determine the exact routes until we are able to check out trail conditions a couple of weeks before the event, but tentatively we will do something like this:

Moderate Group: Up Deer Creek trail from Montezuma, down Middle Fork Swan River and then up and over Georgia Pass to 285 and on to the Burning Bear event location about 25 minutes away.

Difficult Group: Up Deer Creek trail from Montezuma (possible side trip to Wise Mountain), down Middle Fork Swan River, up difficult Number 10 Hill to Georgia Pass to 285 and on to the Burning Bear event location about 25 minutes away.

Yellow Trail: Deer Creek/Saints John Loop

Red Trail: Swan River Loop

Blue Trail: Number 10 Hill (aka S.O.B. Hill)

Purple Trail w/Red overlaid on most of it: Georgia Pass

f8224818-dbd9-480a-ac2b-395578a8c9a8.jpg

03d59efd-ab31-47fb-922d-95f1a556f4a7.jpg

ROAD TRIP!

Now I get to use the next 4 months to work up the courage to do the difficult route.

You got that thing so nicely modified, you need to give it a try. :D

BTW: Since there are folks coming from out of town and some folks camping, I am hoping to get the event cache page published a bit early, probably the first week in April.

Also, I made a trip up last weekend to check out the place where the official event will take place at Burning Bear Campground. It looks like it's going to be a great venue. This isn't officially going to be a camping event, but people are welcome to stay at the campground if you would like. There is also a larger campground just up the road (Geneva Park Campground) in case this one fills up. For those not going on the 4x4 run, there will be plenty to do around the campground prior to the event/dinner. There are some great hikes in the area and lots of caching opportunities, including a cache run from Georgetown over Gunaella Pass.

Unfortunately there is a conflict in my schedule of fun for my summer vacation- Rubicon trip July 24-26th or Colorado caching and Wheeling July 26th-?. I'm going to have to go with the Rubicon- it's a bit cheaper since Off Road Warehouse will be transporting my jeep up there and with gas prices the way they are- it makes it an obvious choice.

OK. OK. I am a noob at slide videos, so bear with me. :huh:

a few weeks before the actual event. It was RocketMans 4x4 and Pizza Event

We had a lot of horsepower on that day. We met up with a crew that Joe Friday

gathered together. Of course you'll recognize n0wae's rig in the slide show.

(I hope this works) :)

Nice slide show zolitg. That makes we want to get back out there and the good news is that summer is on the way. :)

Dave, this event looks too good to pass up! We'll see about that dang work thing. Luckily my vacation rolls the previous month! Gosh, looks like I'll have to acquire a dual trailer to haul the hubby's Jeep up as well.

Gosh, life is good!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :)

I am interested in possibly going. I have to check to make sure no business trips are in the way. Is there a good place to rent jeeps near the airport?TA
I'm sure that any of the standard rental places at the airport (Avis, Hertz, etc.) will rent a Jeep 4x4 or something similar.
4d8b3a87-895c-4145-a4de-595763ba9e9c.jpg

Not after they see this... :P

BTW, is that license plate photo-shopped?

:D:D:D ROFLMAO

I am sure glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your last line, LLOT!

That broken tie rod was RocketMans fault.

I am interested in possibly going. I have to check to make sure no business trips are in the way. Is there a good place to rent jeeps near the airport?TA
I'm sure that any of the standard rental places at the airport (Avis, Hertz, etc.) will rent a Jeep 4x4 or something similar.
4d8b3a87-895c-4145-a4de-595763ba9e9c.jpg

Not after they see this... :P

BTW, is that license plate photo-shopped?

:D:D:D ROFLMAO

I am sure glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your last line, LLOT!

Now wait a minute what do you mean it was my fault? Maybe I had a "little" to do with the broken back window, but not the tie rod. I wasn't the one that told Dave to try the hard way.

BTW: Both zoltig and I made it the hard way on a later trip when koneko was with us. B)

7425e419-4dfb-4a02-ae27-ce550b0bdb3f.jpg

Dave, this event looks too good to pass up! We'll see about that dang work thing. Luckily my vacation rolls the previous month! Gosh, looks like I'll have to acquire a dual trailer to haul the hubby's Jeep up as well.

Gosh, life is good!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :P

Team Reid and Hubby in CO? That would be awesome. I hear rumors that some other San Diego folks may make it too, the Splashes and Jack and Barbara to name a few. I better get that event page set up.
... Maybe I had a "little" to do with the broken back window, but not the tie rod.

It is posts like these - and my own memories of such fun events as having to limp out of the woods in a Jeep with a broken axle (stopping every few feet to jack the vehicle up and push in the tire) - that make me not want to rent the Jeep from Avis or whoever.

:D

Does this group travel with an on-board welder?

... Maybe I had a "little" to do with the broken back window, but not the tie rod.

It is posts like these - and my own memories of such fun events as having to limp out of the woods in a Jeep with a broken axle (stopping every few feet to jack the vehicle up and push in the tire) - that make me not want to rent the Jeep from Avis or whoever.

:laughing:

Does this group travel with an on-board welder? :D

We'll tell you when you get here. What time are you showing up? :laughing:

B)

I have a professional welder in my 4x4 club and he just does this on the trail.

Yeah, I think I saw RocketMan crawl under my jeep just before I had that tranny leak last year... I think we need to keep an eye on him this year!

:o

I have a professional welder in my 4x4 club and he just does this on the trail.

Yeah, I think I saw RocketMan crawl under my jeep just before I had that tranny leak last year... I think we need to keep an eye on him this year!

I agree. RocketMan is kinda shifty........but you have to admit, RocketMan CREATES a memorable event (even if it is through axels and tranny leaks...).

:)

The event was a HUGE success! There will be pictures and stories for sure.

Thanks to Rocketman and Joe Friday for their super hard work and contributions to make this an event to remember.

Nice to see the folks that traveled from afar to get here to Colorful Colorado.

The 4x4 tours/caching and following Luau made for a very busy day but soooo well worth it. "If you can't leave tired and exhausted, don't show up!" :D

More to come!

I had a blast at the event and it seems a fun time was had by all. And we didn't even have any trail damage this time. Here are some more pics:

Cirrus142 on SOB Hill

c5e6e9e6-0c46-41db-8226-a5b08ffb2bd5.jpg

Splashman Got Tossed Around So Hard On SOB Hill, He Got Some Body Damage

1b469ab6-8f25-498a-b618-b66305e48636.jpg

Heading Up Through the Meadow

4f5b1fb4-e5a1-49a2-bdae-348105c8a512.jpg

High Elevation Jeep Parking

076488f9-9b27-494e-9a1a-9fbe6121e395.jpg

View Shot

9e92e35e-c4be-49dc-9455-596c407358a7.jpg

Splashman, Mrs. RocketMan and Splashette

a31c5f2d-93ce-43c0-a124-a82fd2c492d7.jpg