XDA Orbit - Wherigo locks up PDA

Amberel

As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I have several times tried to get this going on an XDA Orbit, but it locks the machine up such that it requires a reset to get out of it. And I'm far from being alone. There is some suggestion that this is because it can't find the GPS device. On this unit the GPS is an internal device using the Windows Mobile GPS Intermediate Driver, and I also have a separate Bluetooth device.

It does appear to me that failing much, much more gracefully when it can't find the GPS device is probably the single most important issue to resolve. Until it is resolved I can't really do any more investigation - the unit is also my phone and I can't afford to have it lock up like that.

So it seems to me the second most important thing is to have somewhere (a pinned topic?) you can display a release history and announce when problems have been fixed - if you already do have such a place then my apologies, but I couldn't find it.

Rgds, Andy

(updated title to reflect the device - Jeremy)

Edited by Jeremy

That's 3 XDA units that have been reported as having lockup issues, so now I know it's not just me!

As I suggested in another thread, as the XDAs function as a mobile phone as well, it's most likely throwing off the GPS autodetect function.

I agree the developers should find a way of making the program crash more gracefully.

Also, very important: Since it is Windows Mobile 6, please make sure you download and install the latest player application from the web site. It has an updated gps dll to deal with wm6 and the gps intermediate driver. This same thing happened on the AT&T Tilt until this latest version of the player application.

David.

We ordered an XDA unit and will be testing the application on the device when we receive it.

Thank you, your work is appreciated.

I followed the link to the geoframeworks site you mentioned in the "working devices" section, and discovered this post

http://www.geoframeworks.com/forum/Topic1138-100-1.aspx which suggests there's been a known problem with GIS.NET and XDA units for a while now.

Fingers crossed you can iron out the problem :P

We ordered an XDA unit and will be testing the application on the device when we receive it.

Thank you, your work is appreciated.

I followed the link to the geoframeworks site you mentioned in the "working devices" section, and discovered this post

http://www.geoframeworks.com/forum/Topic1138-100-1.aspx which suggests there's been a known problem with GIS.NET and XDA units for a while now.

Fingers crossed you can iron out the problem :P

Thanks. It is possible they don't have a device at GeoFrameworks to test. If we can duplicate the issue we can help them through fixing it. David contacted them regarding the Tilt so it has happened before :unsure:

Thanks Jeremy, that's a great response, but be aware that XDA is the name of a range of phones, there are half a dozen models. I've got several, they don't normally have compatibility problems with any programs, including navigation/GIS programs. TomTom, Ozi Explorer, etc. all run fine.

Thanks for starting this hardware section, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Sorry to harp on, but I think there's still a few more things to do :D Another poster said I should ensure I have downloaded the latest version. I think I did, because there were messages about the "tilt" before I downloaded the copy I have. But I can't actually tell what version I've got, because while the version number is shown on the download page, the downloaded file is just called PlayerInstall.CAB. It's a great idea for the installer filename to indicate the version. And it's also a great idea to have a release history so we can see what fixes have been issued at each release.

Also, I note your comment in the pinned topic that says your unit works, but gives an error if the antenna is not first extended. Whether I would regard that as acceptable or not depends on how the error is presented. If it opens a meaningful dialogue with the user, OK. If the error is such that it crashes or, worse, locks up the system, that's not acceptable. I'm a developer myself, and I'm firmly of the opinion that it's more important that a program is solid than clever. It's easier to add the smarts bit by bit while maintaining reliability than it is to firm up a program that has loads of bells and whistles but which keeps crashing.

Rgds, Andy

Also, I note your comment in the pinned topic that says your unit works, but gives an error if the antenna is not first extended. Whether I would regard that as acceptable or not depends on how the error is presented. If it opens a meaningful dialogue with the user, OK. If the error is such that it crashes or, worse, locks up the system, that's not acceptable. I'm a developer myself, and I'm firmly of the opinion that it's more important that a program is solid than clever. It's easier to add the smarts bit by bit while maintaining reliability than it is to firm up a program that has loads of bells and whistles but which keeps crashing.

Yep. All pretty agreeable stuff. However I also know that developers and early adopters want to play it *now* so my response was that, if you want to play it now, extend the antenna. We're definitely focused on making it "just work" but there are plenty of flavors of devices that need to be tested to make sure the application is solid.

Hi Amberel

( I've got, because while the version number is shown on the download page, the downloaded file is just called PlayerInstall.CAB. )

Just for information, I'm no expert on this.

On my device after clicking on the "PlayerInstall.CAB" file to install it the "PlayerInstall.CAB" file disappeared and along with other files "Player.exe" was created on the PPC.

Regards

Bernard

Time for a quick update on getting Wherigo working on my O2 XDAII.

Probing around my PDA's Registry, I found the GIS.NET entries, and in there was the following

NMEA-0183 GPS Device on COM5: at 57600 baud.

So it certainly seems the Geoframeworks autodetect code is actually finding my Bluetooth GPS, but for some reason the Wherigo player app still endlessly stays in the GPS Detection stage.

I currently think it's the baud rate which could be causing the problem. The my partucular PDA and BT GPS won't communicate at 57600 (as tested with other applications), but will at the slower 38400 baud. So perhaps Wherigo is successfully finding my BT GPS, but then can't communicate with it, and "gets itself in a spin".

Is the Orbit the same as HTC Artemis and HTC P3300 ?

Yes!

I also have an HTC P3300 and same error. Tried with WM5 and WM6. Both same result, the SW goes into search GPS mode and loops endlessly. It does not completely crash the PDA though under WM6 but that does not make it any better. :D

I think the easiest solution to this problem would be to get rid of this mandatory autosearch but let the main program start first and then let the user go into settings and offer two options: auto detect and manual setup. This is how it is done in Google Maps Mobile and this works very well. If your machine has a prob with autodetect then you can just set it manually and bingo, you are done.

Please consider the above option as it would solve the problem for most users (also with other machines).

I really really want to try Wherigo! But I cannot and that drives me crazy. Please fix!!!!!!!! :(

Thanks!

The HTCP3300 seems a strange one ....

Kris

After using the xda orbit for other one and a half years I think what is strange is the Wherigo player and not the device. The device works with almost every software and I did not find one GPS related software, which had this problems...

Nice idea, but I think there are too much devices which just do not work.

Clear enough you can not test each and any, but I think there is a general issue with the software as it works only on a handful of Pocket PCs.

And it seems that there is not even an idea how to fix these issues....

Alpini

Edited by Alpini

We're definitely focused on making it "just work" but there are plenty of flavors of devices that need to be tested to make sure the application is solid.

Jeremy, is there a chance to get a software version with an manual GPS setup option? Thinking, you than will get more feedback about settings on problem units.

On my FSC Loox N520, I use PathAway GPS software, and it will also hang up, using the autodetect option of this software. With Pathaway, I finally got it run using the "Windows Mobile GPS" protocol.

Just my 2 ct's

Andreas

I am using a T-Mobile MDA CompactIII which ist identical to HTC P3300 besides the missing WLAN Option.

I just tried the Wherigo-Player and its not going to find the internal SirfIII

My MDA isn´t crashing.

Every other Application that uses GPS will work fine on the P3300!

Ist hter an option to get a Manual selection of the COM-Port.

Probably that would do the job?

Hi,

I have try to tested the Wherigo Version 2.0.4907.4007 on my O2 XDA Orbit, and I have the same Problem.

My pda locks up if I starts Wherigo :unsure:

If I be fast I can klick to "Menu" -> "GPS Settings" and uncheck "Auto Detect Gps"

But if I try to select the Comm Port, the pda locks up.

Can I make the Comm port selection in the registry?

Is anybody out there who has a XDA Orbit witch is working well with Wherigo?

Thanks a lot and please sorry my bad english

Andreas

To get mine to work I turned off the automatically manage GPS settings option in my settings menu, then started Wherigo somewhere with a gps signal. After it failed to find the GPS I manually configured it and it worked fine. Not the smoothest way around the problem, but enough to get the program to stop crashing my XDA. Thanks for this update! :unsure:

I am using a T-Mobile MDA CompactIII which ist identical to HTC P3300 besides the missing WLAN Option.

I just tried the Wherigo-Player and its not going to find the internal SirfIII

Actual Version of the Player works fine! After selecting Port and Baudrate the

SirfIII Module is waking up and working.

Thanks! :laughing:

I use the HTC3300 with Windows Mobile 6.

Maybe it's Windows Mobile 6 which is causing the problem...

In CacheMate, there's also a GPS-Modul. It only worked correct after I got some files from the author.

He said to me that WM6 has some bugs within the GPS-Module...

Greetings

Heiko

I use the HTC3300 with Windows Mobile 6.

Maybe it's Windows Mobile 6 which is causing the problem...

In CacheMate, there's also a GPS-Modul. It only worked correct after I got some files from the author.

He said to me that WM6 has some bugs within the GPS-Module...

Greetings

Heiko

WM6 did have some problems with gps. The registry entries are different than WM5 and this messed up our Gps software. The latest player application versions work fine on WM6.

David.

Hi,

I have try to tested the Wherigo Version 2.0.4907.4007 on my O2 XDA Orbit, and I have the same Problem.

My pda locks up if I starts Wherigo ;)

If I be fast I can klick to "Menu" -> "GPS Settings" and uncheck "Auto Detect Gps"

Andreas

Hi all,

I have had the same experience as ersthelfer.

Tried anything like different routes of installation (with without active sync), CF2 ys and no, get GPS signal first or not and more or less in any combination you can think of.

At least I can get in the GPS settings now, although selecting the Com Port already blocks the PPC completely requesting a hardreset.

BTW, I am using an O2 XDA Orbit 1 with WM5 with the player release of 7 March 08.

So after the first hurdle seems to be solved I am now hooked one step further.

Hope it is not a series of hooks until the software is running...

Cheers ;)

Alpini

tried it and still does not work. Still the same stupid auto detect loop. Sorry but how hard can it be to simply go and delete this ridiculous auto detect function from the software if it does not work, for god's sake!

The P3300 is one of the most used machines out there! I could understand when it was not working before, but why do we still have a software after another update that does not even start? Sorry but I don't get it.

Having started this topic, I was so totally brassed off with this software after having to completely reinstall all my applications twice after being forced to hard reset the machine, that I vowed never to look at it again.

But I was told it could now be manually configured, and I decided to give it another go. The good news (the only good news) is that it now responds to a soft reset so at least I can get back to a working machine without a 4 hour "reinstall and reconfigure everything" cycle.

The bad news is that it still crashes at startup and remains the most fragile piece of software I have ever used in my 30 years of computing experience.

O2 XDA Orbit. WM6. Player version 2.0.4907.4007.

It STILL always tries to auto-detect on startup. I can sometimes get into the setup menu, but it's TOO LATE. The damage has already been done. I can never get out of the setup menu again, and eventually I have to reset the machine.

I used a registry editor to locate the GeoFrameworks/GPS.NET/2.0/Shared GPS Device and changed it from "GPS Device on COM4: at 57000 baud" to "GPS Device on COM4: at 4800 baud" and "GPS Device on COM6: at 4800 baud" (COM6 is my alternative bluetooth GPS that doesn't have static navigation filter enabled). But it doesn't make any difference, Wherigo still goes into auto-detect and if I look at the registry again after a reset I find it has changed it back to what it was at the start. I can't find any obvious entries to stop it auto-detecting.

It seems some people have got it working on an Orbit. If they are able to exactly list all the registry entries they have I would be very grateful.

Rgds, Andy

Having started this topic, I was so totally brassed off with this software after having to completely reinstall all my applications twice after being forced to hard reset the machine, that I vowed never to look at it again.

But I was told it could now be manually configured, and I decided to give it another go. The good news (the only good news) is that it now responds to a soft reset so at least I can get back to a working machine without a 4 hour "reinstall and reconfigure everything" cycle.

The bad news is that it still crashes at startup and remains the most fragile piece of software I have ever used in my 30 years of computing experience.

It STILL always tries to auto-detect on startup. I can sometimes get into the setup menu, but it's TOO LATE. The damage has already been done. I can never get out of the setup menu again, and eventually I have to reset the machine.

I used a registry editor to locate the GeoFrameworks/GPS.NET/2.0/Shared GPS Device and changed it from "GPS Device on COM4: at 57000 baud" to "GPS Device on COM4: at 4800 baud" and "GPS Device on COM6: at 4800 baud" (COM6 is my alternative bluetooth GPS that doesn't have static navigation filter enabled). But it doesn't make any difference, Wherigo still goes into auto-detect and if I look at the registry again after a reset I find it has changed it back to what it was at the start. I can't find any obvious entries to stop it auto-detecting.

It seems some people have got it working on an Orbit. If they are able to exactly list all the registry entries they have I would be very grateful.

Rgds, Andy

Hi Andy,

Check to see if you have a wigconfig.config file in you device's \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player folder. If you do, you can copy it to your desktop and change the settings there. In the file, there is a line called AutoDetectGps. It probably has a value of "True". Change that to "False". Then you'll see "BaudRate" and "CommPort" values. Here is what the whole file looks like:

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="AutoDetectGps" value="False" />

<add key="BaudRate" value="9600" />

<add key="CommPort" value="COM4:" />

<add key="CartDirectory" value="My Documents\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Cartridges" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

This will cause the player to not to try to auto detect and to try to use the com port instead. To repeat, the file on your device is/should be: \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player\wigconfig.config

If you don't have this file on your device, you can create it exactly as above with your settings and then copy it to your device. Make sure you have the latest player program installed.

David.

Edited by davidloew

Rgds, Andy

Hi Andy,

Check to see if you have a wigconfig.config file in you device's \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player folder. If you do, you can copy it to your desktop and change the settings there. In the file, there is a line called AutoDetectGps. It probably has a value of "True". Change that to "False". Then you'll see "BaudRate" and "CommPort" values. Here is what the whole file looks like:

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="BaudRate" value="9600" />

<add key="CartDirectory" value="My Documents\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Cartridges" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

This will cause the player to not to try to auto detect and to try to use the com port instead. To repeat, the file on your device is/should be: \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player\wigconfig.config

If you don't have this file on your device, you can create it exactly as above with your settings and then copy it to your device. Make sure you have the latest player program installed.

David.

Hi, I own an HTC3300 and the above file does the trick for me. I still have to try the cartridge outside, but at least now no more lock-ups. Thanks a lot!

Route67

Check to see if you have a wigconfig.config file in you device's \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player folder ...

Many thanks David, that's done the trick. The file wasn't there, but I copied and pasted from your post (only changing to the standard 4800bps). It would be good if the first time the program started it asked how you wanted it to start up. Alternatively, these instructions placed where we can see them before running would be good - if that's already the case and I missed it, then my apologies.

More info in case it helps with future development. When I install I am offered the choice of main memory or storage card, as I am with all programs under WM6. And, again as with all programs, I choose storage card. When I was following your instructions I found there were 2 Player.exe files, one in Program Files on the storage card and one in Program Files in main memory, though in subtly differently named sub-directories. In case this was an improperly uninstalled old version of Wherigo, I uninstalled, made sure everything was deleted and then reinstalled. They both reappeared.

In main storage I have Program Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Player/Player.exe dated 25th March, and on the storage card I have Program Files/ Wherigo Player/Player.exe dated 7th March. If this is all as you expect please ignore this, it just seemed a little odd to me. There is very little in the storage card directory and as the player file is duplicated in main memory anyway it may be better to put it all in main memory.

Anyway, I can now get into the Player and have tried the tutorial in my back garden. Not getting far yet because it won't do anything except keep telling me the signal is poor, even though when I switch to OziExplorer it tells me most of the time it is using 7 satellites with an HDoP of 1.0, very occasionally dropping back to 6 satellites with an HDoP of 2.1 (due to obstruction by my house to the east). That's plenty good enough for most programs, how many satellites/what HDoP does Wherigo need to work?

Now to start experimenting with COM6. The reason I want to be able to use my bluetooth on COM6 is that the built in GPS on COM4 has a static navigation filter enabled, and AFAIK it is not possible on this machine to disable it. So sometimes I want to use it on COM4 and sometimes on COM6. Because it tries to start up automatically every time, I need to change the configuration file to the port I want to use BEFORE starting Wherigo. I guess the easiest way is for me to knock up a small application that rewrites the config file as appropriate before starting Wherigo

Thanks again for your help,

Rgds, Andy

Check to see if you have a wigconfig.config file in you device's \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player folder ...

Many thanks David, that's done the trick.

Andy,

Sorry for the problems. I'm glad that helped.

About the install, we use .Cab files for installs. There's a bug with cab files in that they don't (as you know) install anywhere but the default folder as specified in the cab file. You can however, move the installation from the default folder (\Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player) to the storage card. Also, I'm working on a change to allow pointing the Cartridges folder to anywhere. This way, you can run the application and point to the cartridges all on the storage card. Remember, though, that the shortcut on the Start menu will still point to the main memory. I'll check into the phantom storage card executable.

The tutorial doesn't look at hdop, it looks at accuracy feet. This is fed to our "engine" behind the scenes from the gps. The accuracy is evaluated as > 0 and less than 150 feet. The accuracy is fed to the engine based on the HDOP Estimated Error Feet. We've found that this is generally a good value to use. I will look into it though since I've heard a few people mention this problem in the tutorial.

Thanks for experimenting with your gps connection. I do the same in terms of using bluetooth or the built in gps so the settings come in handy.

David.

About the install, we use .Cab files for installs. There's a bug with cab files in that they don't (as you know) install anywhere but the default folder as specified in the cab file. You can however, move the installation from the default folder (\Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player) to the storage card. Also, I'm working on a change to allow pointing the Cartridges folder to anywhere. This way, you can run the application and point to the cartridges all on the storage card. Remember, though, that the shortcut on the Start menu will still point to the main memory. I'll check into the phantom storage card executable.

The tutorial doesn't look at hdop, it looks at accuracy feet. This is fed to our "engine" behind the scenes from the gps. The accuracy is evaluated as > 0 and less than 150 feet. The accuracy is fed to the engine based on the HDOP Estimated Error Feet. We've found that this is generally a good value to use. I will look into it though since I've heard a few people mention this problem in the tutorial.

Thanks for experimenting with your gps connection. I do the same in terms of using bluetooth or the built in gps so the settings come in handy.

David.

Hi David, thanks again. For the time being I've uninstalled again and put everything in main memory just in case the "split" install was having a detrimental effect.

I've run it with COM6 (bluetooth) and that works OK, and I've completed the tutorial. So great strides. But even when running the tutorial the GPS display top right kept intermittently flashing red even though other programs reported perfectly good reception of 10 satellites. This is both with the internal GPS and my Pretec bluetooth receiver. The receiver/antenna combination on an XDA Orbit isn't the best but it's not at all bad - it uses a SiRF chip - and the Pretec is also pretty good.

One thing about the Orbit is that the processor runs at only 200MHz, compared to a typical PDAs 400MHz. This is great for battery life, but maybe it struggles to keep up bearing in mind the relative inefficiency of .NET code. It has no problems with OziExplorer or TomTom, but they are both native code apps. I will continue to observe the situation.

I installed the builder on one of my desktop machines but whenever I try to run it, it just says an unidentified error occurred. I uninstalled it from there and set it up on my notebook instead, and it runs OK on that. Now off to try and find a tutorial on writing Wherigo apps.

Thanks for getting me going this far,

Rgds, Andy

Thanks for getting me going this far,

Rgds, Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm glad things are going better. As for the flashing red and green sat bars, it sounds like it's getting intermittent connections on that device via our Gps library (dll) that we use. If the gps library reports that the fix is lost, then the sat bars will go to red. This could be because the library isn't running too well on the Orbit. I'll check the company that created the library. I do agree that the 200mhz is probably the lowest of the low-ends for a .net app to run on.

David.

Edited by davidloew

I'm glad things are going better. As for the flashing red and green sat bars, it sounds like it's getting intermittent connections on that device via our Gps library (dll) that we use. If the gps library reports that the fix is lost, then the sat bars will go to red. This could be because the library isn't running too well on the Orbit. I'll check the company that created the library. I do agree that the 200mhz is probably the lowest of the low-ends for a .net app to run on.

David.

Sorry to keep coming back to you on this, but you recall I said I had reinstalled into main memory because of the duplicated Player.exe when I installed into card storage. Well, I've just noticed that it still has 2 copies of Player.exe, now both in main memory. One is in the WherigoPlayer directory and the other in the Groundspeak/Wherigo/Player directory.

I'm going to try running with it set to 57600 to see if it makes any difference to the red/green bars. I thought it would only work at 4800 but it seems to connect up whatever speed I have in the config file. However, it is throwing it down here tonight so it will have to wait a while ;)

Rgds, Andy

David.

Sorry to keep coming back to you on this, but you recall I said I had reinstalled into main memory because of the duplicated Player.exe when I installed into card storage. Well, I've just noticed that it still has 2 copies of Player.exe, now both in main memory. One is in the WherigoPlayer directory and the other in the Groundspeak/Wherigo/Player directory.

I'm going to try running with it set to 57600 to see if it makes any difference to the red/green bars. I thought it would only work at 4800 but it seems to connect up whatever speed I have in the config file. However, it is throwing it down here tonight so it will have to wait a while ;)

Rgds, Andy

Hi Andy, it sounds like you have left over installs in various folders. I checked the cab file install and even if you specifiy the storage card, it doesn't put files there. Sometimes if you remove an install it doesn't always remove all of the files. I would uninstall everything you have (via the remove files) and then clean up all folders and then reinstall via the cab file.

I don't think the 57600 will work. You could try 9600 but, I don't think this is causing the lost fix. Is this a sirf chip? If so, you can check the static navigation settings. Make sure you have that off.

David.

Hi Andy, it sounds like you have left over installs in various folders. I checked the cab file install and even if you specifiy the storage card, it doesn't put files there. Sometimes if you remove an install it doesn't always remove all of the files. I would uninstall everything you have (via the remove files) and then clean up all folders and then reinstall via the cab file.

I don't think the 57600 will work. You could try 9600 but, I don't think this is causing the lost fix. Is this a sirf chip? If so, you can check the static navigation settings. Make sure you have that off.

David.

Hi David,

For reasons I can't explain, I'm definitely getting different results to you. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times, each time I have checked that there were no files remaining, and each time the reinstall placed 2 copies of the player.exe on my machine. If I specify the storage card it puts one on the card and one in main storage. if I specify main storage it puts 2 copies in main storage (in differently named directories as reported previously). And the uninstall procedure automatically removes both files. I have repeated this process again since reading your last post, being extremely careful to confirm the files had been deleted after the uninstall, and they were, and they have both been replaced when I did a reinstall.

I tried 57600 and I do get green bars, but that was just sitting outside in the car. It's still pouring with rain here and I'm not going to go marching up the street to see if the bars stay green while I'm moving. Maybe tomorrow ;) .

If you know of a way to turn off static navigation filter on the internal GPS device I would be forever in your debt. Unfortunately the SiRFDemoPPC program won't run on the PPC because of this pesky Windows Intermediate Driver in Windows Mobile. I, and many others, have tried unsuccessfully to disable this driver and access the GPS port directly, but we have all failed. That's why I have to use an external bluetooth receiver instead of the internal unit for geocaching.

Rgds, Andy

I tried 57600 and I do get green bars, but that was just sitting outside in the car. It's still pouring with rain here and I'm not going to go marching up the street to see if the bars stay green while I'm moving. Maybe tomorrow ;) .

If you know of a way to turn off static navigation filter on the internal GPS device I would be forever in your debt. Unfortunately the SiRFDemoPPC program won't run on the PPC because of this pesky Windows Intermediate Driver in Windows Mobile. I, and many others, have tried unsuccessfully to disable this driver and access the GPS port directly, but we have all failed. That's why I have to use an external bluetooth receiver instead of the internal unit for geocaching.

Rgds, Andy

That's weird about the install, could be something to do with the xda. Try installing and take all of the defaults. There is nothing in the cab file that installs outside the core program files folder.

I use a utility on the mio to set the Static Navigation Off. Its MMSirf from www.memory-map.com. Here's a link to a forum entry about it. Use at your own risk though:

Sirf Forum Mention

David

That's weird about the install, could be something to do with the xda. Try installing and take all of the defaults. There is nothing in the cab file that installs outside the core program files folder.

That was using all the defaults. The only thing I get asked is where I want it put, and whichever answer I give it, I get 2 copies of Player.exe. It is bizarre, as you say, and I can't explain it. I have another PDA, an old one I no longer use, I'll try it on that and see what happens.

I use a utility on the mio to set the Static Navigation Off. Its MMSirf from www.memory-map.com. Here's a link to a forum entry about it. Use at your own risk though:

Sirf Forum Mention

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't work on this machine for the same reason the SiRF program doesn't work and for the same reason I'm unable to write a program to do it myself, i.e. the Windows Intermediate Driver holds the GPS port open and we have been unable to find any way to make it relinquish the port :) As far as we can tell, the GPS is on COM3, but no commercial program I have will open that port and I can't open it myself from either a .NET application or through the native C API. This is not a Wherigo problem in any way shape or form.

Today I tried to do my first Wherigo cache. It found the start and explained what I had to do. It took me to the first waypoint where I completed the first task. It then took me to the second waypoint, at which point it locked up solid and required a soft reset. I suppose there is no way of getting a post mortem dump or other post cessation debug to find out what caused it?

Rgds, Andy

OK, I've now had the chance to install this on a rather older machine, an XDA IIs running Windows Mobile 2003. It's completely clean, i.e. prior to the install it has had a hard reset back to the factory supplied condition.

And it's done exactly the same thing, installing 2 copies of the player. On this OS I am offered no options at all during the install.

Here is a complete list of what it has installed in Program Files. I'm taking this from File Explorer on the device and so no extensions are reported. Note that dates are in UK dd/mm/yy format.

Groundspeak/Wherigo/Player/AW_logo 03/01/08 5.30K

Groundspeak/Wherigo/Player/Player 07/03/08 410K

readme 07/03/08 1.92K

WherigoPlayer/Player 07/03/08 410K

I haven't been able to run the Player on this machine because it requires a newer version of the .NET runtime than is installed, and I suspect that the amount of RAM on the machine may be insufficient to hold the .NET runtime and run the Player. However, it does suggest the "double player" installation oddity is not confined to the XDA Orbit.

Rgds, Andy

OK, I've now had the chance to install this on a rather older machine, an XDA IIs running Windows Mobile 2003. It's completely clean, i.e. prior to the install it has had a hard reset back to the factory supplied condition.

And it's done exactly the same thing, installing 2 copies of the player. On this OS I am offered no options at all during the install.

Here is a complete list of what it has installed in Program Files. I'm taking this from File Explorer on the device and so no extensions are reported. Note that dates are in UK dd/mm/yy format.

readme 07/03/08 1.92K

I haven't been able to run the Player on this machine because it requires a newer version of the .NET runtime than is installed, and I suspect that the amount of RAM on the machine may be insufficient to hold the .NET runtime and run the Player. However, it does suggest the "double player" installation oddity is not confined to the XDA Orbit.

Rgds, Andy

thanks, andy, I'll check the cab file settings.

david

readme 07/03/08 1.92K

Rgds, Andy

thanks, andy, I'll check the cab file settings.

david

Andy,

I fixed the cab file so now the install is correct. Nothing else changes, just copy the cab to your device, uninstall and reinstall. It just had extra files to that folder you noticed, this has been fixed.

David.

Andy,

I fixed the cab file so now the install is correct. Nothing else changes, just copy the cab to your device, uninstall and reinstall. It just had extra files to that folder you noticed, this has been fixed.

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for that. I didn't think it was causing a problem but obviously it's better only installing the one copy, not least because 410Kb of main memory is a fair chunk of a somewhat scarce resource :)

I think Wherigo is a great concept and I think you will get it sorted, but I do feel it was put on public release too early and that a period of controlled beta testing would have been advisable. I have yet to successfully complete a "real" cartridge without it locking up and have put everything on hold for the time being - I'll try again in a few weeks. I have been planning a cartridge, walking the area, taking photos, etc, but I won't be releasing it until I have a reasonable degree of confidence that I can complete it at least 20 times in a row without any bugs showing themselves.

Rgds, Andy

Hi,

My pda locks up if I starts Wherigo :mad:

Andreas

Hi all,

I have had the same experience as ersthelfer.

Tried anything like different routes of installation (with without active sync), CF2 ys and no, get GPS signal first or not and more or less in any combination you can think of.

At least I can get in the GPS settings now, although selecting the Com Port already blocks the PPC completely requesting a hardreset.

BTW, I am using an O2 XDA Orbit 1 with WM5 with the player release of 7 March 08.

So after the first hurdle seems to be solved I am now hooked one step further.

Hope it is not a series of hooks until the software is running...

Cheers :mad:

Alpini

Now after another hardreset due to a not related reason, the player works....

Confused as I don't know what changed the players mind and not really keen on trying the new release....

set the gps to com4 and 9600 and now even the gps settings are getting acceptable...

Will report in due course on one of the locationless ones...

Now I have found the solution and it works very well with my XDA Orbit.

I use the

Wherigo Player for PocketPC

Version: 2.0.5004.4972

Last Update: 4/4/2008

Install it to your Orbit.

Now create a file with the name

wigconfig.config

on your Orbit.

The content is:

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="BaudRate" value="4800" />

<add key="CartDirectory" value="enter here your cart-directory" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

It works very fine on my Orbit :mad::mad::D

Now I have found the solution and it works very well with my XDA Orbit.

I use the

Wherigo Player for PocketPC

Version: 2.0.5004.4972

Last Update: 4/4/2008

Install it to your Orbit.

Now create a file with the name

wigconfig.config

on your Orbit.

The content is:

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="BaudRate" value="4800" />

<add key="CartDirectory" value="enter here your cart-directory" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

It works very fine on my Orbit :laughing::ph34r::D

Here's a reference to creating this config file:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188981

David

Next stage in the saga. You may recall that my last experience had improved to the point I was able to complete half a cartridge before the PDA locked up. Today I downloaded the latest version of the player and tried again.

Firstly, for the first time ever the auto configure worked without locking up the machine. Good progress.

I then completed three quarters of the cartridge,at which point I had to enter an answer to a task question. I wasn't sure of the answer and I entered several different ones, none of which were correct, and it just asked again. Then, as the clues suggested it might be a long code I entered a long answer (about 10 words, 80 characters?). That wasn't correct either, and it asked again. For 10 seconds I looked for more possible answers, then went to enter another try and .... Wherigo had gone! It had terminated with no warning or error message and the PDA was displaying the Today screen. I'm absolutely certain that I did not press any buttons or tap the screen in between entering the incorrect long answer and having the program disappear.

I'll try again with a new version in 3 or 4 weeks.

Rgds, Andy

Hello,

now I have found a way to play Wherigo on my XDA Orbit.

1.) create configfile like shown before

2.) use Koofind as 2. GSP-program in the backgrund

3.) install BatteryStatus.0.05.CAB and use 270MHz clock

http://www.chi-tai.info/cs_BatteryStatus_X...o_WM5_iM_cs.htm

(you do it on your own risk)

So now Wherigo's works well on my Orbit.

Problems:

The sounds does not work correktly

If you choose a charakter or a item, you have to wait a little moment.