Mapping Cemetery Locations

Background: I gave our County Highway dept my master list of 135+ alleged cemetery locations in our county. They then paid three guys to go GPS the locations as best they could. They found five I didn't know of, too. They did a good job of writing down the waypoint coords and I'm currently entering them into EasyGPS, which I use for geocaching. If it matters I use a Garmin Legend, too.

What I need help with is thus- Is there any map program/website/etc that I can use to plot these waypoints on that can be printed? I want to give this information to our local genealogical library for patrons to use when they want to visit these little forgotten gems. What I'm envisioning is a county map or multiple maps that combine to make the whole county that has my waypoints printed on them.

Better yet, someone here may have a better idea of how I can display these waypoints. I plan on printing a list of cem names, coords, and simple driving directions but a map for display would give people a better idea of where they are heading to and other cemeteries in the area.

Is there a way to do this? I'm a novice with maps but I'm willing to learn this necessary skill.

Background: I gave our County Highway dept my master list of 135+ alleged cemetery locations in our county. They then paid three guys to go GPS the locations as best they could. They found five I didn't know of, too. They did a good job of writing down the waypoint coords and I'm currently entering them into EasyGPS, which I use for geocaching. If it matters I use a Garmin Legend, too.

What I need help with is thus- Is there any map program/website/etc that I can use to plot these waypoints on that can be printed? I want to give this information to our local genealogical library for patrons to use when they want to visit these little forgotten gems. What I'm envisioning is a county map or multiple maps that combine to make the whole county that has my waypoints printed on them.

Better yet, someone here may have a better idea of how I can display these waypoints. I plan on printing a list of cem names, coords, and simple driving directions but a map for display would give people a better idea of where they are heading to and other cemeteries in the area.

Is there a way to do this? I'm a novice with maps but I'm willing to learn this necessary skill.

First of all the highway department wasted their money hiring the three guys to geocode them, you could have went to the USGS website and it would have done the job for you.

One way to map your locations is convert your list to a csv file and import it into Microsoft Streets and Trips, or maybe someone else can suggest another mapping program.

Edited by DWBur

One way to accomplish what you want is to use USAPhotoMaps, a free software that grabs USGS Topo mapping or aerial black/white photos. It will open your data over these maps and you can save the maps as .jpg images for printing. You can also use the Google Earth free version and print screen shots. Lots of other ways too.

There you go.

The hard part is the coordinates. Once you have them in an electronic format you can normally convirt them to ther formats used by a lot of different mapping software. The maps is the easy part. You are doing the hard part now.

First of all the highway department wasted their money hiring the three guys to geocode them, you could have went to the USGS website and it would have done the job for you.

One way to map your locations is convert your list to a csv file and import it into Microsoft Streets and Trips, or maybe someone else can suggest another mapping program.

There are small cemeteries and old private burial plots in parts of Indiana and other states which are not listed on the USGS site.

There are small cemeteries and old private burial plots in parts of Indiana and other states which are not listed on the USGS site.

I guess I should have said most of the job. I realize it's not 100% but it will probably do 90% of the work for you. We have cemeteries in Wisconsin that I don't think are listed anywhere. But before I would hire three guys with GPS receivers I would give the USGS site a shot.