rechargable batteries

Broncoguy

I recommend the Rayovac "Hybrids," although there are other brands of "Hybrids" that are recommended. They are ready to be used when you buy them, and hold their charge longer "on the shelf." I was very happy with the Energizer 2500 15-minute rechargeables and that 15-minute charger, but after two years, the batteries stopped holding a charge. :o

I found "off-brand" (Digital and No-Mem Pro) batteries to not work very well in GPS units. :)

I use the Rayovac Hybrids also, they are great. I was using the Energizer 2500 with a 30 min charger and they would get very hot during the charge cycle. After about 1 1/2 years they were losing their charge in a couple of days. I highly recommend using a charger that takes 8-12 hours to minimize the heat during charging.

I recommend the Rayovac "Hybrids," although there are other brands of "Hybrids" that are recommended. They are ready to be used when you buy them, and hold their charge longer "on the shelf." I was very happy with the Energizer 2500 15-minute rechargeables and that 15-minute charger, but after two years, the batteries stopped holding a charge. :o

I found "off-brand" (Digital and No-Mem Pro) batteries to not work very well in GPS units. :)

I'm using the Energizer 2500 mAh AA batteries, and they seem to be working well. Takes a lot longer than 15 minute to charge. I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of them before they're toast.

I use the Rayovac Hybrids also, they are great. I was using the Energizer 2500 with a 30 min charger and they would get very hot during the charge cycle. After about 1 1/2 years they were losing their charge in a couple of days. I highly recommend using a charger that takes 8-12 hours to minimize the heat during charging.

And I have the 8 to 12 hour charger... and 8 sets of batteries :o

The advantages of the hybrids make them preferable for most situations. The exception would be if you want longer life and expect to use them immediately after charging. I see that my Rayovac hybrids are rated at 2100 mAh, whereas the regular NiMHs can be found at 2500 or 2600 mAh.

I urge spending money for a good recharger...it pays for itself over its life.

A good source is http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

I see that my Rayovac hybrids are rated at 2100 mAh, whereas the regular NiMHs can be found at 2500 or 2600 mAh.

I bought a 4 pack of Rayovac hybrids and they all tested slightly better than their 2100 mAh rating. My experience with regular NiMHs has not been that positive. Usually there was at least one dud out of a group of 4.

The advantages of the hybrids make them preferable for most situations. The exception would be if you want longer life and expect to use them immediately after charging. I see that my Rayovac hybrids are rated at 2100 mAh, whereas the regular NiMHs can be found at 2500 or 2600 mAh.

I use the Maha charger from Thomas. It has red and green lights to indicate when it is charging and when they are ready.

Here is another vote for the Rayovac Hybrids. I have been using them for over 6 months. Work very well in my cameras. I have seen reports that the Hybrids have a superior voltage curve in high current devices like cameras. This means that a charge can last longer than higher AH rated regular NiMH batteries.

As for chargers, I have had the Maha MH-C401FS for over 3 years and it works great. A few months ago I got the Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne charger with digital display. Get this one if you are a real gadget nerd/geek.

Beat me to it again :P More money but worth it in the long run. I picked up the Maha9000 a while ago and glad that I did. It will bring back old almost dead batteries to a usable state.

Most of the LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries will be fine.

Beat me to it again :P More money but worth it in the long run. I picked up the Maha9000 a while ago and glad that I did. It will bring back old almost dead batteries to a usable state.

Most of the LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries will be fine.

Well, now I have an idea on batteries so I looked at Thomas website...http://thomasdistributing.com/index.htm and now I don't have a clue as to which charger I want. There's so many to choose from?? I love buttons and gagets tho...

Many companies are now offering the hybid (Ultra-low-discharge) NiMH in AA batteries. Once many of us try these we will not go back to the regular ones. You will charge them less often, because the charge lasts a long time, and they discharge very slowly.

Here are some of the brands now out:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max

One other thought on batteries. If you know that you are going to use them right away, use some high capacity NiMH's. If you are going to use them for a few hours one day and not use them again for a while (week or so) put in the LSD batteries.

This is good stuff benjamin921, I agree.

For things that I use all the time, like my GPSr, I prefer to use the high capacity (ca. 2500) AA cells.

For things that are used less frequently and randomly, such as my camera, I prefer the ULDs (ca. 2000) AA cells such as the Sanyo Eneloops.

CowboyPapa/Slim :D