SOUTH MOUNTAIN RESERVATION AREA

MREAGLEWO1

Signed log, took venison. :o

Thanks for the info, I've seen more parks closed out right this year for deer control. Monmouth County parks has actually been giving out tickets to hikers with out permits during hunting periods.

Anyone know about Watchung Reservation, I was actually considering heading there Tuesday.

These hunts are common in North Jersey, and are usually not kills, but rather sterilization darting to control population. Still, I wouldn't want to be hit by one of those either.

Oh, so no venison?

They should re-introduce the bobcat and coyote to these areas, that will help control the deer population! :o

These hunts are common in North Jersey, and are usually not kills, but rather sterilization darting to control population. Still, I wouldn't want to be hit by one of those either.

Oh they are often kills. Sometimes they hire trained marksmen, sometimes they are netted and a bolt is shot into their heads. Sometimes they just allow hunters who apply for a special permit.

These are trained marksmen to thin out the population, I believe they must take a couple does first before they can take a Buck. The marksmen will each receive 40 Lbs of venison with the rest going to food banks.

Also Nik, I believe Watchung Reservation has managed their popultion well and only closed 1 or 2 days last fall, so there should be no problem caching there.

Signs I saw up at the res said marksmen with shotguns....

luv to live in one of them houses next to the res now...huh?

The Res? Like, the Ramapo Res. on 202? That'd be scary, it gets crowded even on cold days.

nononono...we're talking about SOUTH MOUNTAIN REServation....

of course there COULD be other spots doing this, but THAT is where I saw the signs...

Edited by frelancr

Signs I saw up at the res said marksmen with shotguns....

luv to live in one of them houses next to the res now...huh?

I wouldn't worry about that...

State law says you cannot hunt within 500 feet of a residence, structure...

and I did see "safety zone" posters there last weekend...

that's more than the effective range of a shotgun...

As far as introducing Cayotes & Wolves to South Mountain Reservation, as suggested by another poster...

In South Mountain Reservation??? How long do you think they would survive???

We are not talking wide open spaces here...

That would make nearby residents really happy, I'm sure!

Little FiFi in the backyard would soon become an appetizer...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Thanks for the info, I was considering going to South Mtn on Saturday, now I aint.

you can on saturday.....it is only tuesdays and thursdays

Any way we can arrange hunting to commence when Avroair is in the park?

I heard he was trying to turn Geocaching up a notch and make it more challenging! :laughing:

Edited by ekitt10

119 deer killed so far in Essex County hunt

The Essex County-sponsored deer hunt at South Mountain Reservation today yielded 17 deer, bringing the total number of deer removed to 119, according to Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo.

The take includes six deer -- four males and two females -- from the morning session and 11 more -- four males and seven females -- from the afternoon, DiVincenzo added.

The 119 deer have been culled from the 2,047-acre reservation since the hunt began Jan. 29. Volunteer sharpshooters working from tree blinds have killed a total of 54 males and 65 female deer on the three days the hunt has been allowed.

The reservation stretches across Millburn, Maplewood, West Orange and South Orange, and the hunt is scheduled to take place on most Tuesdays and Thursdays until Feb. 28. DiVincenzo said the hunt would be suspended Tuesday because of Lincoln's birthday, and the park will be open.