Let's Go Camping In Banbury

Mad H@ter

The campsite for the 2008 Oxfordshire camping event has now been confirmed at Anita's Touring Caravan Park, Banbury.

The Dreaming Spires Cache Bash 2008 will also be held this weekend at a venue yet to be confirmed, and by popular demand back on the Sunday.

More details next week.

Oooh.... I'll deffo try - although we're being mock inspected that week... if my team get inspected 1st, IU'm laughing!!!

With Jam and clotted cream? Don’t forget the pink champagne that tastes just like cherry cola! :D

Oh I hope it'll be the same pink champagne we had at Taunton.... That was scrummy... I remember getting quite inebriated!!!

Not sure about the pink champagne, but there might be a bucket or two of Pimms :D

That's all the hook-ups gone :unsure: , but please don't let that put you off, it should be a great weekend if the past events are anything to go by.

If you are still desperate for a hook-up the site does have other pitches with hook-up, but you will have to book it directly with the campsite as these are not on the rally field and you will have to pay standard campsite rates. If you mention at the time of booking that you are with the Geocaching group on the rally field they may be able to allocate you a pitch nearby.

My boy Barney McGrew has expressed an interest in giving camping a try, and I've sort of promised that this year we'd do the camping element of the bash. I haven't been camping myself since the Beatles split up :) so you mustn't laugh, you lot! (Gosh, I can still remember the smell of that groundsheet.)

if any one would like to come up to the camp site. Friday 22rd lunch time until sunday24th Feb. lunch time . me and the phillimore clan will be there. in our tin tent . bring the beer :lol: and bacon :o . give us a bell to let us no if you are coming up. week end away from the kids. we are testing out the camp site ready for the June meet :lol::lol:

My boy Barney McGrew has expressed an interest in giving camping a try, and I've sort of promised that this year we'd do the camping element of the bash. I haven't been camping myself since the Beatles split up :unsure: so you mustn't laugh, you lot! (Gosh, I can still remember the smell of that groundsheet.)

Why would you have gone camping because the Beatles split up? I know it was a momentous occasion, but still......... :):):laughing:

My boy Barney McGrew has expressed an interest in giving camping a try, and I've sort of promised that this year we'd do the camping element of the bash. I haven't been camping myself since the Beatles split up :unsure: so you mustn't laugh, you lot! (Gosh, I can still remember the smell of that groundsheet.)

Why would you have gone camping because the Beatles split up? I know it was a momentous occasion, but still......... :):):laughing:

Hee hee! Actually at the rate my arrangements are going, I might not get to go camping until they're back together again :D

Hee hee! Actually at the rate my arrangements are going, I might not get to go camping until they're back together again :D

That'll be the first Geocaching Celestial event then?

Count me in. Ever a numbers and icon whore.

Stu

just to let you all no we most have at least 15 prize's so far :lol: . for the raffle. should i carry on charging 50p strip or should i change to £1 for a strip of raffle tickets. what do you all think :D . all the money raised goes to dogs for the disabled :D:lol:

I'll have at least a couple of prizes for the raffle.....

So long as we have magic sand and a rocket making kit, we'll be happy!!!!!

I don't remember putting myself on the list lol, but you're right, thats what days i want to stay :D Can I bring my caravan please. also, is it £8 per night or £8 for the stay? Tar.

Looks like I was being a bit presumptuous :) , as it was only a note, glad that I was right though :) .

You can certainly bring your caravan and the cost is £8 per night for larger tents, caravans & motorhomes and £6 per night for small tents (up to 4 person).

Fingers crossed about the bird flu reported right in this area <_<

The campsite is on the outer edge of Temporary Control Zone Part B which as far as I can tell has no restrictions on the general public, so provided nothing changes there should not be a problem. Temporary Control Zone Part A starts about 6 miles away and there are some restrictions including prohibited areas within this zone. There is a handful of caches in the Zone A area so it is likely that some/all will be unavailable but there are still plenty outside the affected zone.

DEFRA

In the current situation there is no need for people to reduce their visits to the countryside. There is, at present, no need for any additional restrictions on recreational or sporting activities, including use of rights of way or walking on land with a right of access.

More info can be found on the DEFRA website here and here.

As I read it there are little/no restrictions on the general public (provided that you are not involved in avian activities i.e. pigeon racing) and should this outbreak escalate it looks unlikely that there will be any then as avian flue is being handled differently from FMD outbreaks.

So fingers crossed and start looking forward to a great weekend. B)B)

Edited by Phillimore Clan

I have beaks remember..they come first in any scenario...will watch how the situation goes

According to DEFRA there is no risk to other birds unless they come into contact with infected birds, but I do respect your concerns, I would probably have similar concerns if there was an outbreak of canine flue.

Lets just hope that this is all sorted quickly for all concerned and particuarly the farmers. The farm in question only transferred production from dairy to eggs last year. They did this due to dwindling profits for dairy farmers, so this is just what they needed <_< .

According to DEFRA there is no risk to other birds unless they come into contact with infected birds, but I do respect your concerns, I would probably have similar concerns if there was an outbreak of canine flue.

Lets just hope that this is all sorted quickly for all concerned and particuarly the farmers. The farm in question only transferred production from dairy to eggs last year. They did this due to dwindling profits for dairy farmers, so this is just what they needed :o .

Latest from Defra yesterday can be seen here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/n...ation/index.htm

The exclusion as John says is away from the camp site still but there are closures of some local footpaths but which ones it doesnt say. Just that restriction notices must be obeyed. - I cant see cachers ignoring them - can you?

Less than a fortnight bump ;)

Thanks for the update Bob, as I see it there is very little reason to start panicking and probably not much reason for us to go near the protection zone as there are very few caches in or around it.

On a more upbeat note, we have placed 11 new caches in the area for release at 6pm on Friday via printouts available from us at the campsite, or online once our overworked reviewer finds the time to release them.

We have also placed a further 12 new caches to coincide with the Dreaming Spires event on Sunday. These will be released at midnight Saturday, again via printouts and eventually online.