Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
JB&AJ

.gpx data for benchmarks?

So it looks like the only information we can download for benchmarks is the .loc files, with just the coords; is this correct? I'm considering going paperless for my caching, and it'd be very handy for BMing as well, but as it stands it still looks like I'll be printing for finding benchmarks. Any suggestions?

So it looks like the only information we can download for benchmarks is the .loc files, with just the coords; is this correct? I'm considering going paperless for my caching, and it'd be very handy for BMing as well, but as it stands it still looks like I'll be printing for finding benchmarks. Any suggestions?

John, you're correct that Groundspeak does not offer .GPX files or Pocket Queries for benchmarks. However, the "Obtaining and Reading Datasheets" section of the Benchmark Hunting home page on Geocaching.com offers some ways to make your own .GPX files. You can also search this forum for previous discussions of the subject. It isn't hard to do!

Patty

Edited by Wintertime

Like Wintertime said, there's a couple utilities for getting GPX files for GSAK and other caching programs. (Including my own NGSGPX program! :grin: )

Yep, I am totally paperless on my benchmark hunts too. Using the NGS datasheets imported into GSAK using Foxtrot's conversion program. GSAK puts all the datasheets onto my palm using cachemate. 10,000+ benchmarks in the counties I regularly travel (and their reference marks) are transfered into my 60csx -- I am set to go and if I happen to be in a new area, I have something to do!

I just got my HP Jornada up and running again, but it's Windows based. Anything out there for it. I really don't want to have ot buy a Palm handheld. I download all the grids into my GPS just fine and we load the .gpx into the wife's handheld for geocaching, just need a little help figuring it out for bemchmarking as well. I've been doing it the ol' skool way - pencil and paper. Want to get more modern. Will cachemate work and if so where do I grab it at?

thanks,

R

I just got my HP Jornada up and running again, but it's Windows based. Anything out there for it. I really don't want to have ot buy a Palm handheld. I download all the grids into my GPS just fine and we load the .gpx into the wife's handheld for geocaching, just need a little help figuring it out for bemchmarking as well. I've been doing it the ol' skool way - pencil and paper. Want to get more modern. Will cachemate work and if so where do I grab it at?

thanks,

R

Three flavors:

Palm, Pocket PC, Windows Smartphone

I have a Dell Axim and it is running on a Windows Pocket PC or Windows Mobile, that does not matter much and I use the GPX to HTML utility. Simply place the html on your palm device and you have all of your data sheets and they are hyperlinked to the next closest few benches.

You can get the free utility here:GPX to HTML

Works well and no other software is needed.

CallawayMT