Kid's Community Geocoin

PengoFamily

Once upon a time there were a group of kids who were geocachers. They saw their parents excited about geocoins with their names on them. But the kids did not have one to call their own. Well, this fairy tale has a happy ending!!!

I was chatting with mousekakat before Christmas and the idea was brought up that a geocoin should be made for the geocaching kids out there with their names on them. We have seen so many photos of kids and their geocoin collections and how much pleasure they also get from geocoins. I brought up the idea with Oakcoins/Geoswag and this project is now a GO!! Thanks Oakcoins!!!

When I proposed the idea to Oakcoins I suggested a cointest for the design for the front of this Kid’s Community Geocoin. So it’s time for all you kids out there to pull out your crayons, markers, pencil crayons and pencils!! This kids community geocoin will be for kids aged 12 and under. This whole type of project is new to me so if there are any ‘kinks’ we can all hopefully work it out as we go. :)

Rules for the cointest part: (Kid’s Homework part)

1) Entries must be from a kid aged 12 and under

2) Please make sure you have your parent’s permission to enter too :)

3) All entries must be posted in this thread…(you can draw a picture, scan it and post it)

4) You can enter as often as you wish

5) Try to keep colors to around 6 to 8. Makes it easier to work with. (Don’t worry about picking PMS colors…that will all be taken care of afterwards)

6) Deadline for entries January 31st, 2008 11:59 EST

7) It would be great if the design incorporated what geocaching means to a kid. It should be geocaching related or geocoin related please.

Once the deadline is over to post pictures there will be a community vote. More details to come. The winning picture will be used for one side of the kid's community geocoin. The winning kid will receive 5 AE editions of this coin once it is complete. After the drawing is selected for one side of the coin I will start the process of getting kids' names to put it on. This whole process will take a bit time but it should be a fun project to do. Thanks!

Rules and regulations subject to change in case I forget something that is later brought to my attention…I am only human and do make mistakes too. LOL

So have fun and start drawing!!

Edited to add:

-The winning drawing may need to be altered a wee little bit when making die art...just to let everyone know. Not saying it will but it may need to be. :)

-The final product will be sold by geoswag

-Yes the coin should be kid themed some how.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'm 12 years old but I know a little bit of Photoshop. Is it OK if I design the coin on the computer and not draw it because im not too good at that?:grin:

Sure..no problem!!

I'll tell the boys....they will be excited....and Jacob has had an idea for a long time...though its not really centered around kids...but for everyone instead. Shouldn't the theme be a KID theme??

Yes it would be good if it was themed around kids... that's why I asked what geocaching is for kids but I can make it more clear in the cointest rules too. Thanks Lori!!

I'm 12 years old but I know a little bit of Photoshop. Is it OK if I design the coin on the computer and not draw it because im not too good at that?:grin:

Sure..no problem!!

Would it be alright to use clipart or other images from the internet as I'm not sure about copyright issues etc.

If you find clipart somewhere try doing a search on that site for copyright. If it says it is public domain you can use it no problem. Some clipart is obvious as it has a copyright logo on it or something written across it. Please don't use those. Thanks!

Sure..no problem!!

Would it be alright to use clipart or other images from the internet as I'm not sure about copyright issues etc.

If you find clipart somewhere try doing a search on that site for copyright. If it says it is public domain you can use it no problem. Some clipart is obvious as it has a copyright logo on it or something written across it. Please don't use those. Thanks!

Sure, I'll keep that in mind.

Is this for the front only or do we need a design for both sides?

Front only. Gotta save room for the kids' names. :laughing: thanks!

Do you have the design for the back so the kids can get an idea of where to start?

Will the names be on the front or the back?

No I do not have a design worked out yet for the back as I will be trying to work it with the kids' designs. If you would like to submit both sides that is fine too. I was thinking the names would be on the back so the kids have more room to draw for the front.

Here is LittleLizard's design. Feel free to play with it if you like. I think he did a good job for a 7 yr old. (his art is better than mine :laughing: )

thats really nice, you sure he's 7?!

Yes he is! Art and Music are his thing though. He wanted to start piano at 2-1/2 I made him wait until he was 6. He has been playing for one year and has started writing his own music. No doubt he's got the "artistic" side brain!! :)

He did ask me how to spell stuff though!

Edited by backhiker

Hello! gretting from Greece!

I am not a child! sorry for this! I would just like to say some things, if I am allowed to!

Sorry if my english are not good enough! :laughing:

It is a great idea to make a geocoin for children! children are our future!

Geocache has a tiny but precious greek word on it! Geo comes from Gea! Mother Earth!

Geocaching helps people to come closer to nature, closer to mother earth and understand some things we have forgotten during time! We forgot to love earth, we forgot to love and protect nature!

Earth gives us life! geocaching gives us a new way, a good way of living! even if we do not relise that, we are changing into better men! geocaching even help us to come closer! Yes!

Since children are learning to be geocacher and are learning to love our planet, I believe that a nice geocoin would be a design with children in all colors and from all continents, smilling, holding hands in a circle like dancing, and in the midle there is Earth! Our beautiful planet! on their t-shirts they can have one letter and all the children together can create the word Geocaching! their clothes can be colorfull! we can use many different colors, for example, yellow T-shirt and green trousers...

I am not good in designs or drawings! Sorry, I will not place any photos! (Plus that I do not know how!) I will let your mind and your fantasy to make the desing!

I will close with a poem of Yannis Ritsos, a great poet from greece! Since I do not know if the foroum "takes" greek letters, I will try to translate it! I hope to understand the meaning of the poem and I hope I will not "Kill it" in my translation!

If all the children of the Earth

hold their hands together,

Boys and girls in a line

and started dancing

the circle would become

very very big

and all the Earth

would be embraced, I think!

would call thei grown up humans

and they were leaving their offoces

and entering to the dance,

the circle would become

even bigger

and would embrace the earht

two times I think!!

and then the birds would come

the flowers would come,

The Spring would come too

to enter to the dance,

The circle would become

even , even bigger

and would ebrace the Earth

3 times I think!!!

Thank you for reading my post!

Best regards,

Nikos.

OMG, Gatoulis, that was just gorgeous! I loved it! Micke, my husband, has studied a little Greek in his priest studies (they have to learn enough of either Greek or Hebrew to be able to read the Bible in it's original language.) and I bet the poem is even more beautiful in Greek! Feel free to email it to me, both our computers are set up for the Greek characters!

Ble!! You've been so quiet lately I've been a bit concerned about you, BUT... you did a great job designing that, I LOVE IT!!! :mad:

Naomi :mad: