Where's the support?

Rev Slippery

There have been many questions asked in here and there are no answers or there are guesses by the other forum members. It seems that the only way to make this work is to buy a "Colorado" that Groundspeak is pushing. How about a making it work on other platforms beside the colorado or PDAs with GPS, most users will already have both separately and will not be willing to buy new equipment right away. If this was available to most geocachers it would take off quickly. I would love to do it but if my 6 month old GPSR and 5 month old PDA can't do it, I won't be doing it anytime soon (according to my wife :grin: ).

There have been many questions asked in here and there are no answers or there are guesses by the other forum members.

I disagree. I and other members of the Groundspeak team have been responding to inquiries. There are so many different flavors of PocketPC devices, however, that it is very difficult to support all of them. So you should expect to have to work through some hoops in order to get X bluetooth GPS to work with Y device if it hasn't been installed before.

Location-based gaming isn't exactly a proven product so folks will have to understand that the idea of moving into a new technology or concept will be frustrating for some. Early adopters need to have a can-do attitude about something new and interesting.

Obviously we want the Player working flawlessly on every single GPS-enabled device but we have to start somewhere. Having it run on a Garmin Colorado is only the first step but IMO a very big one. Expect more support for more devices as the activity grows.

After 7 years running Geocaching.com I can see many similarities between the early days of geocaching and the first days of Wherigo. Have faith!

Edited by Jeremy

There have been many questions asked in here and there are no answers or there are guesses by the other forum members.

I disagree. I and other members of the Groundspeak team have been responding to inquiries. There are so many different flavors of PocketPC devices, however, that it is very difficult to support all of them. So you should expect to have to work through some hoops in order to get X bluetooth GPS to work with Y device if it hasn't been installed before.

Location-based gaming isn't exactly a proven product so folks will have to understand that the idea of moving into a new technology or concept will be frustrating for some. Early adopters need to have a can-do attitude about something new and interesting.

Obviously we want the Player working flawlessly on every single GPS-enabled device but we have to start somewhere. Having it run on a Garmin Colorado is only the first step but IMO a very big one. Expect more support for more devices as the activity grows.

After 7 years running Geocaching.com I can see many similarities between the early days of geocaching and the first days of Wherigo. Have faith!

Agree! Not true. I posted a question and the answer came quickly.

I am an early adopter (much to my chagrine with Vista) and think this is coming together nicely.

I do not see Wherigo taking off very fast. I just, do not see a lot of geocachers buying a new GPS or a new Pocket PC to try a new game. I was going to give it a try but by PPCs (I have two fo them) just will not work.

I remember in 2000 people looked at me if I was crazy when I explained how geocaching worked. There's something new about this that I don't expect some people to respond to. Come back when we've worked out the bugs. There are a lot of people helping us make this better with constructive feedback.

We're actually surprised at the number of different Pocket PC devices that came out of the woodwork. If anything we're stunned with the interest so far. We'll just have to continue to document the different device combinations that work and the successes people have with installing the application. Fortunately with the Colorado we don't have these issues.

I have a Mio 310X that has been "liberated" enough to run other PPC porgrams, including some off-road geocaching software. I can get the 2.0 compact net framework installed, but then the 2.1 will not install on top of it. Or I can remove 2.0 and install the 2.1 framework, but then the player gives me a different error message. If I only install the 2.0 compact framework, it advises that I need a newer version.

I figure this will be resolved sooner or later either by changes in the player (unlikely) or by tweaking from the rather active Mio 310x users.

I have a Mio 310X that has been "liberated" enough to run other PPC porgrams, including some off-road geocaching software.

Wow. $150 for the Mio 310x? We'll have to pick one up and see how it performs with Wherigo. The screen size is different from the normal Wherigo Player designs but it would be good to see if we can get it working on the device regardless. Mio has some great Pocket PC GPS devices.

I do not see Wherigo taking off very fast. I just, do not see a lot of geocachers buying a new GPS or a new Pocket PC to try a new game. I was going to give it a try but by PPCs (I have two fo them) just will not work.

I have a PPC, but not a GPS enabled PPC, but I'm still building a cartridge right now. I'm going to go out to the location and verify all the coordinates is all. I think the fun in Wherigo is going to be in building the cartridges.

I'm working on a geocache hybrid on Powell Butte here in Portland, OR. I'm running into some minor issues with the builder, but nothing critical.

Fun fun fun! :D

Is there any solution to the Garmin Oregon problem? I just bought a brand new Oregon 400T. None of the cartridges in NJ will work on it for me. They all crash in various ways, either at initial startup, or locking up on save. It sounds like all of these cartridges work with the Colorado, but not with the Oregon (and yes, I downloaded the correct, "oregon" version off of the Wherigo site) I don't see any downloads for upgrades to the Oregon software on the Garmin site, so I assume my software is the latest version.

In browsing through these forums, this seems to be a universal problem with the Oregon. At least half of the reason I purchased the Oregon was to try out Wherigo. Since the player is built right in, it seemed to be the simplest way, especially since I am not a computer programmer, which it is sounding like you have to be to understand how to use and/or build Wherigo cartridges :laughing:

Where can I find answers regarding the problems with the Oregon? Do I contact Garmin directly or can I get answers here, or through the Wherigo website? I have read through the various threads here and it doesn't seem like there are any answers.