How Many Close to Home?

Texsox

I was just looking over my area and fixin' to (y'all know what that means, but for the Yankees that means, getting ready to :) ) add 400 waypoints to my Garmin and thought I would cover a very wide area, turned out 20 miles from my home coordinates was all it took. (78541 land)

So how many close to your home?

Figured another way, and if I am doing my math properly, in my town of 50,000, we have about one cache for every 250 residents :)

I live in an area of smallish towns and have nearly 300 within 10 miles. Of which I've logged 9, and only 1 or 2 of those since actually moving to the town. :)

Funny hting about buying a house. That first year really cuts into your geocaching time, and any other time for that matter. :)

I'll get busy caching again in the spring and perhaps, maybe, just maybe hide one or 2 if I find a good place. I've got one spot on the radar already. Here's hopin'!

10 miles: 720

20 miles: 1,980

50 miles: 8,320

All include a mix of urban/mountain/desert caches. The 50 mile range includes Eastern Los Angeles/Orange County cities and Palm Springs. I understand that there is an LPC hidden somewhere in that area, but I'm still looking.

O.k. it has been a while for me so I'll ask. How do you find out how many are close to your home by miles?

If you are a Premium Member, download a PQ (Pocket Query) of the 500 closest caches to your home coordinates.

Open that file in GSAK (Geocaching Survival Army Knife (gsak.net)) and select a filter by distance from your home.

As to the OP, I guess I am a slacker!

There are 65 caches within 5 miles of home, 6 are mine, and I have found 39 of the rest.

There are 500 within 13.8 miles, 21 are mine, but I have found only 188 of the rest!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

O.k. it has been a while for me so I'll ask. How do you find out how many are close to your home by miles?

If you are a Premium Member, download a PQ (Pocket Query) of the 500 closest caches to your home coordinates.

Open that file in GSAK (Geocaching Survival Army Knife (gsak.net)) and select a filter by distance from your home.

The problem is, you really need to do more than 1 query to get them all for many areas. You could build them by dates and distance, run them online and add them together, but the 'nearest' search is just as easy.

I can't really accurately/fairly do a radius search because here we have some unique limits of geography that can also strain the budget. Within 20 miles includes:

Manhattan: Crappy GPS signal, mostly urban micros, a pain in the a** to go to with a car

Toll bridges/rivers: Caches in NJ that are sometimes just 5 miles aways as the crow flies can be 20 miles of driving each way and soon to be $8 round=trip toll to boot (have done a few though, the view from the Palisades is just too nice to ignore). Some caches in Long Island are only 5-10 miles as the crow flies, but again 20+ miles each way of driving and tolls.

So realistically for our "radius" for quick, inexpensive caching would only include mostly the immediate north of me which limits it a little bit.

I can't really accurately/fairly do a radius search because here we have some unique limits of geography that can also strain the budget. Within 20 miles includes:

Manhattan: Crappy GPS signal, mostly urban micros, a pain in the a** to go to with a car

Toll bridges/rivers: Caches in NJ that are sometimes just 5 miles aways as the crow flies can be 20 miles of driving each way and soon to be $8 round=trip toll to boot (have done a few though, the view from the Palisades is just too nice to ignore). Some caches in Long Island are only 5-10 miles as the crow flies, but again 20+ miles each way of driving and tolls.

So realistically for our "radius" for quick, inexpensive caching would only include mostly the immediate north of me which limits it a little bit.

We run into the same problem with Andy Bear's Ten-Mile List (from north Joisey)! :grin: But little of the Bronx is on his list, and we have done six there. It's Queens and Brooklyn that are the pain!! I think we have nine left to do on Manhattan, including the rock climbing cache and the kayaking cache.

From my home coordinates:

10 miles - 340

20 miles - 1230

20 within 5 miles

39 --- 10

72 --- 15

145 --- 20

285 --- 25 (we are getting into Dallas County now)

804 --- 30

1239 --- 35

1845 --- 40

Okay, enough of that! The 2000th nearest cache from my home as of now is 41.4 miles distant. The search returned 3166 caches on 159 pages, the last two an even 50 miles away.

So many caches, so little time.

Edit to clarify.

Edited by Trucker Lee

10 miles = 19 caches

20 miles = 28

30 miles = 45

40 miles = 67

50 miles = 139

12 of those 139 are mine, so thats 127 unique caches I can log.

There is one NEW cache a few miles from my home that I haven't gotten yet. Other than that one, the nearest cache is 20 miles away. A few more and I have to break the 30 mile mark.

Some of ya'll don't realize just how good you have it.

SD

Edited by scuba dude

You can do a search on nearest caches from your account page and count the results.

Sounds like too much work plus I cans only count to the number of fingers and toes that I has.

You can do a search on nearest caches from your account page and count the results.

Sounds like too much work plus I cans only count to the number of fingers and toes that I has.

The zip code search is much easier. All you do is enter your zip code and tell it how many miles to go out.

Available Caches

100 within 5 miles

130 within 10 miles

214 within 20 miles

400 within 35 miles

UNFOUND

50 within 5 miles

75 within 10 miles

150 within 20 miles

240 within 30 miles

UNFOUND - ** NON-Micros

5 within 5 miles

16 within 10 miles

45 within 20 miles

100 within 30 miles

Edited by Bad_CRC

I live near a metro area. I centered this on my home cords. If I shifted to the south side of the metro area, the numbers would be a tad higher. But these may keep us busy for a little while.

• 4 within 1 mile
  • 775 within 10 miles
  • 1625 within 20 miles
  • 3225 within 50 miles

I was just looking over my area and fixin' to (y'all know what that means, but for the Yankees that means, getting ready to :D ) add 400 waypoints to my Garmin and thought I would cover a very wide area, turned out 20 miles from my home coordinates was all it took. (78541 land)

Figured another way, and if I am doing my math properly, in my town of 50,000, we have about one cache for every 250 residents :)

15 -- 1 mile

272 -- 5 miles

932 -- 10 miles

1895 -- 15 miles

3233 -- 25 miles

5618 -- 50miles

I was just looking over my area and fixin' to (y'all know what that means, but for the Yankees that means, getting ready to :D ) add 400 waypoints to my Garmin and thought I would cover a very wide area, turned out 20 miles from my home coordinates was all it took. (78541 land)

15 -- 1 mile

272 -- 5 miles

932 -- 10 miles

1895 -- 15 miles

3233 -- 25 miles

5618 -- 50miles

6 of them are mine

Edited by hdegraaf

If I run a PQ from home coordinates 500 caches will only get me about 9.8 miles from home! Nearest cache to my home coordinates is 136 feet... and it's not even mine! There are 12 caches within a mile of home, 3 of which I still haven't found... and not for lack of trying!

10 Mile Radius: 520

20 Mile Radius: 1761

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

Total Active Caches:

10 miles: 344

20 miles: 917

50 miles: 2720

Ones I've Not Found:

10 miles: 0

20 miles: 15

50 miles: 1112

And you KNOW most of those beyond 50 miles are in the Appleton area, correct?

Closest 500 caches (within 12 miles) are 343 trads, 46 multis, and 111 puzzles.

Welcome to the Kingdom of Selzzup!

Caches I have not found:

0 --Less than 5 miles

99 --Less than 10 miles

454 --Less than 15 miles

1389 --Less than 25 miles

2754 --Less than 50 miles

3687 --Less than 75 miles

Caches I have found:

209 --Less than 5 miles

888 --Less than 10 miles

1556 --Less than 15 miles