Saving POIs on memory card

yitbos

My marketing team and I use Nuvi 350's and 660's for work. We have hundreds of customers that we visit and I have learned how to take an address and convert it into coordinates so they don't have to type addresses into the GPS each time. Instead, they just have to type in part of the customer name and select them from the menu.

However, when I use the POI loader for Garmin, it loads them all to the built in memory. I still have hundreds to add to the system and would like to get them on the memory card instead. This way, I can ensure we don't max out the internal memory and it's easier for me to get the cards and do the update then have them return the GPS or be without it while I do updates.

Can anyone help me understand how to get the POIs onto the memory card. It doesn't give me an uption when I'm loading the POIs. There is a note at the begining of the POI program that says this lets you load POIs into the memory of your gps or on a memory card. But there is no place that I've seen to select the memory card. And in the settings on the GPS I don't see any spot to select a memory card (at least not on my Nuvi 660).

I am sure I'm missing something easy. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

I'm pretty sure you can't.

If you're using POI loader and not just uploading "Favorites" (waypoints) you're good to thousands of points with just internal memory.

With my nuvi 760, if you fire up POI loader, when the screen appears with the "Find Device" button, the default I see is "GARMIN (E:\)". If I click on the little grey arrow button on the drop-down box though it lets me see other removable drives, including the one that represents the SD card on my nuvi, which is G: in my case.

... snip

Can anyone help me understand how to get the POIs onto the memory card. It doesn't give me an uption when I'm loading the POIs. There is a note at the begining of the POI program that says this lets you load POIs into the memory of your gps or on a memory card. But there is no place that I've seen to select the memory card. ... snip

This is the place to select it. Use the drop down list and select the card location.

I'm pretty sure you can't.

If you're using POI loader and not just uploading "Favorites" (waypoints) you're good to thousands of points with just internal memory.

With my nuvi 760, if you fire up POI loader, when the screen appears with the "Find Device" button, the default I see is "GARMIN (E:\)". If I click on the little grey arrow button on the drop-down box though it lets me see other removable drives, including the one that represents the SD card on my nuvi, which is G: in my case.

This is the second screen after I launch POI Loader - and mine now defaults to the card in my 660. Mine is H:, but yours will probably be different depending on how many drives/card slots/etc you have.

Good luck.

It’s just like AlunS said. Use the drop down in the Device Settings page to load POI’s on the SD card. This will put a separate “Garmin” file on your SD card where you can store a separate POI file. You will get a message that new data was found on the card when you boot up the nuvi. You can copy this data to the internal memory of the nuvi or just leave it on the card. You will have 3 POI options if you leave it on the SD card. When you go to your Custom POIs you can chose:

“All Categories” – combines both POI files

“POI” – POI’s from internal memory

“The Name Of The GPX” – POI’s from the SD memory. Name of the GPX file shows up as the POI name.

Then there is the old trick of placing multiple GPX files in the POI folder that you use for the POI Loader. This gives separate POI categories within the Custom POIs. Let’s say you have 5 different sales territories. Lets call them Pittsburgh, Erie, Morgantown, Somerset and State Collage. Make 5 GPX files, one for each territory. Name the GPX files Pittsburgh, Erie, Morgantown, Somerset and State Collage. Put all 5 GPX files in a folder named POI. Now you can use the POI Loader to load these GPX files from the POI folder to either the internal memory or the SD card. Now you can search POI’s from several sub-POI categories. You will have:

All Catigories – all of the below

POI – POI from internal memory

Pittsburgh

Erie

Morgantown

Somerset

State Collage

Have fun with it and use you imagination!

Thanks for the information everyone. Can someone tell me the differrence between a GPX file and the CSV file the POI loader loads? I uploaded a GPX file I created once and it put all the files in with my favorites and that was not what I wanted.

If the locations got loaded into your Favorites, that means that you copied the GPX file directly to the unit (or the SD card) and didn't load them with POI Loader. Keep the original GPX and CSV file on your computer and use POI Loader to load them and they won't end up with your Favorites.

POI Loader will load both CSV files and GPX files.

CSV files are more simple for most users to create as they are simple text files and can be created without additional complex software. (They can be created with Notepad or Excel.) They contain at a minimum three fields of information (longitude, latitude, name) and can contain an additional comment field that is optional.

GPX is an XML format. The files can be slightly more complex to create, but they can contain more information that CSV files. GPX files can be created with a variety of software including MapSource.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama