Who likes birthday gifts?

scavok

That little slogan of mine "Not all who wander are lost" comes from the author J.R.R. Tolkien. He is also the creator of the hobbits and the world they inhabit.

Now in Hobbiton they celebrate birthdays a little different than we do. When one's birthday rolls around they give gifts, rather than receive them. Which in a rather large, but tight knit community means that almost every day a person can expect to receive a gift since it is almost always someone else's birthday.

I have always loved that idealistic behavior and it just so happens to be my birthday. It also just so happens that I have a couple of my handmade coins to give away.

They are the copper version, with a texture I experimented with in the beginning. It is sort of a rough-grainy texture on the faces rather than the hammer tone. They are the only two ever made. Who's to say I won't make more, but for now anyway they are two of a kind :).

There will be two winners, one will be randomly selected by post number and the other of my choosing. To have your post be eligible it needs to include the best story you have of pure unadulterated random generosity. Post as many times as you like, but each post needs to be a different story. Post them by 11:59:59PM MST on Sunday the 13th. That way two of you will have good news to start your Mondays off with :).

Here's one: Last year a little girl in my home town was suffering from Cystic Fibrosis and her family was getting swamped with medical bills and watching their daughter suffer for every breath. My caching friend (mickey99us) and I decided we wanted to make a geocoin and pin set for her cause and donate all of the proceeds of the sales of these coins and pins to her family to assist them. We had good ideas but lacked the artistic skills to get the coin the way we envisioned. Paula of CinemaBoxers came to the rescue and took over the designing work and made a truly beautiful coin. FOR FREE! Then out of the blue Karma (dorkfish) jumped up and started getting very nice coins donated to auction off for the cause. She did all of the mailing, auctioning and gathering. When the dust settled we ended up raising over $4300.00 for this little girl's upcoming lung transplant. So Paula and Karma gave their all for someone they never met or knew. A BIG ACT OF GIVING AND NOT RECEIVING.

Hi all, in fact I believe that I have seen right here in these forums the best demonstration/s of this pure random generosity, and it has shown me that the GC community other than having a bit of fun does consist of a group of really caring, honest, generous and genuine people, and in today's world that is rare........

When I started posting here, I noticed the thread regarding the health and mounting hospital bills of the Cacher TNT and his wife, and the reactions to the GC community with donating coins for auctions to help with this situation and the absolute 100% generosity of everybody.

I also understanding health problems due to my wife having an accident last year, tryed to bid on 2 of the coins in the silent auction, but they were far over my available budgets, even to try to help someone I do not know, but again the donations received for these coins in another demonstration of the generosity that this community has established within it.

For me, at least, I have had my mind and my eyes opened by enjoying GeoCaching, and know that certainly here in these forums that all you experienced cachers, are also really kind, generous and genuine.

(Thanks for letting me be part of your world and community.)

Hmmmm, can not really compete with those stories if you ask me. But I was out caching not too long

ago and came across a mother cat caught in a live trap and 4 kittens were hanging around the cage.

I released the mother cat. But in the process, thinking I must have been the one to trap her, really showed

her appreciation in a violent way. I am probably the person most unlikely to do this. I am very allergic to

cats and really can not stand them one bit. But seeing the mom trapped and the helpless kittens I guess

I could not help myself. Needless to say my arms looked like I had a box of speghetti under my skin

because of the scrathces. I still fell good about it today and relized that no matter how much I dislike

something it does not deserve to suffer like that. It was not much but for me it was pure unadulterated

random generosity.

Thanks for the cointest.

Well, I think the best examples of this that I can come up with is Pay It Forward and all the mystery coins. The PIF project is a great example of random acts of kindness and using the kindness that the people get by receiving the coins and paying it forward. It is an awesome project!

And all the mystery coins that we have received. I think the cachers behind these coins truly perform pure unadulterated random generosit. No one knows who they are and they pay for all these coins to give away. The joy that they spread to other cachers who find or ar gifted the coins is amazing!! You can see it by all the various mystery threads on this forum. I can't think of a btter example.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Thanks for the cointest!! :) :)

Another group (NNJ) had a member pass on from the Scully and Mulder team. They had coins made and sold them and the money went in a trust for the wife and children. They also had ebay auctions where people donated coins and the proceeds went to the same.

I just love this community. It comes together to help it's 'fellows' wherever they may be.

Gives you faith back in the human race

We have a small (but growing) caching group down here called SCGA (Space Coast Geocachers Association). At Christmas time, the head of the group contacted the local school board, and got the names of 3 local families with lists of children, their ages, and the family's needs. They put together an event and raised over $500 plus additional donated items (like a bike and mp3 players). They used the cash to buy gifts and gift cards, then personally delivered the items to the families. Kudos to Dale n Barb for arranging everything, and to the group for their generous donations! (An administrator from the school board contacted Dale after Christmas, and all the families were overwhelmed and very grateful.)

The SCGA plans to make this an annual event! :)

I can give a VERY personal account of the generosity of this family, most of you know of what happened to me of late. Another great outpouring of love has been going on with the "TnT" family! We can only pray Tank pulls through completely, but that's not going to come cheap either! The coins and donations which have gone their way surely will help, but only a bit!!

When bad things happen, GREAT people come together...what a GREAT family, I'm HONORED to be considered a member!!!

This is a very small act, but even the small ones can make the difference.

Right before Christmas I had to stop for gas. When I went inside to pay, there was a line about five people long. The woman trying to pay for her purchase was taking a bit of time looking for change and kept apologizing to everyone. No one felt bothered and said so, but the woman was getting upset that she was holding everyone up. Just as the cashier was telling her not to worry about the last 10 cents or so, three of us ponied up and gave her the remaining change.

I know this is a very act, but it still felt good to do, especially because it relieved that woman's anxiety and embarrassment. Plus it was nice to see a few people try to help.

Thanks for the cointest and for reminding everyone to be a little nicer every day!

This is a very small act, but even the small ones can make the difference.

Right before Christmas I had to stop for gas. When I went inside to pay, there was a line about five people long. The woman trying to pay for her purchase was taking a bit of time looking for change and kept apologizing to everyone. No one felt bothered and said so, but the woman was getting upset that she was holding everyone up. Just as the cashier was telling her not to worry about the last 10 cents or so, three of us ponied up and gave her the remaining change.

I know this is a very act, but it still felt good to do, especially because it relieved that woman's anxiety and embarrassment. Plus it was nice to see a few people try to help.

Thanks for the cointest and for reminding everyone to be a little nicer every day!

Kinda funny story, which reminds me. Christmas eve, I went to post my coin mail. Post office closed at noon, but they have an APC (Automated Postal Center). It always give you the proper postage, btw, since you pick it! Those packages are always $.97. :)

Anyway, an old man was in there, wanting to get a 8.5 x 11 business document out the door. The postal helper dude was telling him to use the APC, but I'm betting this dude has never seen a piece of plastic in his day. He was completely confused, and packing only cash. So, since I was next, I told the postal dude to just grab the package, and I'd post it with my stuff. He assured the elderly gentleman that he would handle the postage, wished him Merry Christmas, and moved him on his way out the door. So, I dropped it on the scale and posted it , and handed it to the postal helper dude, then did all my post. It only cost me $.97, but it sure made that fella's day.

TMA

I think the world is a lot more full of "random kindness and senseless acts of beauty" than we see or hear about.

The news is just full of the crap things in the world that is happening. Time and time again we see the horrible things that happen. Then tucked away somewhere in the bottom of the page, there's the little blurb about some kid who raised 45k for cancer or the guy who donated his kidney to some stranger.

I wish the acts of kindness like this were front page news instead of all the garbage about rape and war and murder, maybe the world would be a better place.

Acts that I see here and now are great ones, like Rod giving up his Lackey and Mickey Diver coin in spite of having so much crap happen in his life.

Bluemotmot giving not just the amount of coins and pins she said she'd give, but giving to all who contacted her.

People like LoriDarlin' who welcome people so openly to this forum and sends gifts of the heart so generously to people she knows and even doesn't know!

The list of people here who perform random kindness and senseless acts of beauty just goes on and on and on. Tsun, Chantal, Keewee, Frozen Buns, Karma.... and on and on it goes. There just isn't enough room here to list everyone, so trust me, you aren't forgotten!

Scavok, I hope that you have a wonderful, wonderful birthday and many more!

*hugs*

Naomi :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCAVOK

:)

There are alot of random things done here within the community which are wonderful. Think I'll just choose something simple and outside of the geocaching community. Every year in Helena during the holidays, when the Salvation Army buckets and bell ringers come out, there is generous soul that visits one of the locations randomly. No one ever notices or knows when this generous soul will show up but whoever it is, leaves a rare gold coin in one of the bell ringers buckets. This has been happening for a number of years here and I always thought it was really cool. Each year I wait to read in the paper about the generous donor who strikes again during the holidays. Not even the bell ringer knows it's in the bucket until they bring their bucket in to have the contents counted. The amount the coins have been worth vary year to year but it's usually in the upper hundreds or low thousands.

Edited by tsunrisebey

Almost forgot...HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCAVOK!!

GREAT news, I will get my 2007 Scavok back soon!!!!!

Surteb, mine isn't a medical problem, KAboom is doing MUCH better...but THANKS!! Mine was a theft and some personal hardships!!

I'm still sorry to hear that you had any kind of troubles, but am very glad to know all is well in your family!

my story isn't so fantastic as just one of pure unadulterated giving...

I run a group of geocachers and in the introduction section one of the guys mentioned that he's from Louisiana... I joked that he was some lucky to live there cause they have some of the best hot sauces in the states...

he replied yep... want some? i told him i'd love to get some and asked him how much a bottle was....

the long end of the story is that he refused to tell me how much the sauce was... and instead of just sending me a small bottle of the sauce he sent me two bottles of the sauce and a large box of his favorite dry spice.

i know its not a big story but it was just another example of how this community does things, not for profit but rather because we really do feel like a special family and selfishness, for the most part, doesn't exist.

I feel blessed to be part of this community.

J

On August 20th 2007 there was an exposion at a local welding shop. One person was killed, and an 11 week old lab puppy, Chubby, was badly burned. For the next 10 days he was sedated and his wounds cleaned. He lost his ear flaps, and there was so much scarring on this belly that he couldn't walk well. His poor tendoms quit growing from the burns, but being a puppy his legs kept growing resulting in puling his hip out.

Eventually he traveled to UCDavis Veterinary Hospital for two skin grafts as well as hip surgery.

All his medical care was funded by donations from the community, eventually raising over $5000. UC Davis did one surgery as a teaching case(no charge) and his second surgery was largely funded by their Angel fund. The remainder of his trust fund will be needed for more hip and knee surgery.

The outpouring of help from our community was astouding!

On August 20th 2007 there was an exposion at a local welding shop. One person was killed, and an 11 week old lab puppy, Chubby, was badly burned. For the next 10 days he was sedated and his wounds cleaned. He lost his ear flaps, and there was so much scarring on this belly that he couldn't walk well. His poor tendoms quit growing from the burns, but being a puppy his legs kept growing resulting in puling his hip out.

Eventually he traveled to UCDavis Veterinary Hospital for two skin grafts as well as hip surgery.

All his medical care was funded by donations from the community, eventually raising over $5000. UC Davis did one surgery as a teaching case(no charge) and his second surgery was largely funded by their Angel fund. The remainder of his trust fund will be needed for more hip and knee surgery.

The outpouring of help from our community was astouding!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :grin:

No one particular tale to tell, but when thinking about selfless acts I am reminded of volunteers the world over who give their time, perhaps one of the most precious commodities of all, providing support to those less fortunate.

This community is also incredibly generous and caring and the Pay It Forward scheme one of the most inspiring. It reminds us that we can all give something back in some small way and make a difference to someones day.

Scavok - thank you for the cointest, have a great day.

This past November we took my mother in law out to dinner for her birthday. The restaurant we went to had one of those machines that you feed a dollar and it has the arm and you try and grab a stuffed animal. Before the meal was served I took Beky to the washroom and as we were heading back to the tables we walked right by the machine. The was an older man playing it and he won a stuffed reindeer. He saw Beky and just handed it to her. She was so happy and surprised. It was a very sweet thing to do. We both thanked him and then he left. It was such an unsuspected act of random kindness. It was nothing too big but was still very nice. :grin:

We had something similar happen with Heather...I HATE those darn crane machines. They usually mean that at least one (if not both of my kids) will end up unhappy. We went to a restaurant recently, and Brenda had taken some of her quarters...just in case. Well, needless to say, she won something out of the machine. This now meant that we had to at least try to win something for Heather. Of course, we came up empty handed. We went back to the table, Heather in tears. Our food was already on the table, and I could not interest Heather in eating. The waitress overhead us, and disappeared. She came back with a stuffed bear that one of the employees had won a few weeks ago and gave it to Heather. She was thrilled...and the waitress ended up with a nice tip :) .

Of course the greatest act of kindness that I have seen are in these forums. :grin:

Back in August of 2007 I seemed to have a black cloud hovering over me, anything that could go wrong, well it seemed to find me!!!!

The icing on the cake was the car accident that I was involved in, the real kicker is I had just moved and to help save money on car insurance I bumped my deductible to $750 instead of the normal $500.

I was left with no other choice but to sell off some of my loot, to help pay for the deductible. In the process of selling these most priced possessions of mine some very generous community members pulled together and auctioned off some of their possessions and donated the funds to my cause.

In addition to the selling/auctioning of the coins I had some very generous donations that showed up in my Paypal account, I was blown away!!!! But that wasn’t it, I had a couple people contact me with an offer I just couldn’t except. They offered to lend me the $750 just so I could keep the coins!!!!! WOW!!!!! Even though I did not except their offer I will forever be indebted to them and this community for their generosity that helped me pull through the tough times.

I will forever continue to give back to this community in any way possible as I have been fortunate to have reaped the rewards of everyone’s generosity.

EVERY year, around the holidays we'll pick someone, usually an older couple or a young family, in a restaurant and buy their meals. We look for people who are probably on a budget.

Doesn't always happen around the holidays for us. A few years ago we were on vacation and sitting in a little mom and pop cafe when an older couple came in and sat down behind us. I could hear them planning what they could order for their budget. "If we share a sandwich we could afford ice cream". When we paid our bill we asked for their bill as well and told the waitress to add a pint of ice cream for them to take home with them. Never told them. Never wanted thanks. Just hope this helped their day.

We've always thought it was our job to change the world one person at a time.

I can give a VERY personal account of the generosity of this family, most of you know of what happened to me of late. Another great outpouring of love has been going on with the "TnT" family! We can only pray Tank pulls through completely, but that's not going to come cheap either! The coins and donations which have gone their way surely will help, but only a bit!!

When bad things happen, GREAT people come together...what a GREAT family, I'm HONORED to be considered a member!!!

Yes :o

This past November we took my mother in law out to dinner for her birthday. The restaurant we went to had one of those machines that you feed a dollar and it has the arm and you try and grab a stuffed animal. Before the meal was served I took Beky to the washroom and as we were heading back to the tables we walked right by the machine. The was an older man playing it and he won a stuffed reindeer. He saw Beky and just handed it to her. She was so happy and surprised. It was a very sweet thing to do. We both thanked him and then he left. It was such an unsuspected act of random kindness. It was nothing too big but was still very nice. :o

Quite a few yrs ago I was in our local Kmart store and they had one of those machines. There is a guy around town here that is an Elvis impersonater and you can usually see him around the local malls and such. Anyway I was sitting in the little restaurant in the Kmart and he came up to me and gave this little stuffed animal that he had won out of the machine which I thought was really nice. Come to find out yrs later when I met Chip, his family actually knew the Elvis guy too. Chip's sister owns a dance studio and he had done his Elvis act in several of her recitals. He also comes around when we have yard sales which is around once or twice a yr. He's a pretty nice generous guy.

OK, I don't know how "pure and unadulterated" this is, but especially around Halloween, I like to leave some sort of candy in everyone's mailbox. I really like to leave Shocktarts (like a Sweetart or Spree but chewy and VERY sour). The joy comes in listening to everyone try to figure out who put the candy in the mailboxes (they always think it's the boss) but also in listening to everyone's reactions to that sour candy. I do get to have a good chuckle with them, so ok, there's a little something in it for me. But I do also just like being a part of the little surprises in life.

:D First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SCAVOK :D

All one has to do is look throughout the forums. They will see incredible acts of unselfishness and genuine kindness. All these generous mystery coiners are doing it to bring happiness and joy to those that are on the receiving end. :D I am in AWE of these guys and the frequenters of this here forum who are as close or closer to than most families!

edited for spelling

Edited by fairyhoney

Happy Birth Day.

I'll give you the condensed version, for I only have few minutes before work today.

A brother firefighter in town, his daughter is has been in a wheel chair all her life. At the time he was bouncing from car to car as they died. A friend was getting a new chair van for him self and wanted to sell his old one. Any way I was able to collect enough money to buy the van, fix the few problems and deliver it Christmas eve while he was a church. Wrapped with a bow and a few presents for the kids inside. This was one of best Christmases we've ever had.

I saw this thread, and thought I might add a story, since I have one, and have never entered a contest before (for a geocoin). It happened while caching, but had nothing to do with the cache. I was on the wrong road, a block over from the cache. I thought the guy was an angel!

Sometimes I like to pay the toll for the person driving behind me, or two or three, when I get to a toll on the highway. Surprise! Little bits of joy.

You have given me a chance to honor a lady long since deceased, who never really got any credit that I know of for the multitudinous good deeds she did alone and out of the sheer kindness of her heart. My family and I were new in this little town then, far away from our family, and trying to start up our business. Bettye was her own welcome wagon, coming to our home to meet us, welcome us to the town, tell us several things we needed to know about where we had moved to, bringing us some beautiful flowers and a goody bag of little gifts.

We figured that she worked for the city in some capacity - chamber of commerce or something like it. I found out later that she was not employed by anyone but was the wife of a local businessman (she never said anything about this, so she was not just trying to advertise for him), didn't get paid for any of the things that she did, but took it on herself to reach out to anyone who moved here and make them feel welcome and comfortable. It made us feel so wonderful that we've stayed here going on 32 years now.

Luckily, I had the chance to visit her and help her out a little bit while she was in the hospital dying of liver cancer. What a horrible way for such a lovely lady to go, but she was a real trooper to the very end, never complaining and always trying to make those around her feel better and happier! I think about her a lot and all of her random acts of kindness done even before that term became popular. People like Bettye Carol Robinson make everyone around them better people. It is almost impossible not to pass kindness on to others as has been done to us.

Happy birthday to you and thank you for a nice geocointest. I am enjoying reading all the stories. There are truly so many good, kind, selfless people in the world, and we need to remember that and keep hope.

I work in a relatively small company (only 28 employees). A week before Christmas 2 girls who work in production received a call at work that their apartment building was on fire. We found out later that it burnt to the ground and both girls and their families lost everything (except the clothes on their backs). Unfortunately they do not have insurance either. So I started a collection for them at work. The incentive for the other employees to donate money was that I matched whatever was donated. After I collected the money I asked the president if he would match it too. And he did. Now I have contacted our sister companies and I am working with them to raise more money for the 2 girls and their families. While I cannot replace their sentimental items I hope that whatever I can help raise, will help them start over.

I work in a relatively small company (only 28 employees). A week before Christmas 2 girls who work in production received a call at work that their apartment building was on fire. We found out later that it burnt to the ground and both girls and their families lost everything (except the clothes on their backs). Unfortunately they do not have insurance either. So I started a collection for them at work. The incentive for the other employees to donate money was that I matched whatever was donated. After I collected the money I asked the president if he would match it too. And he did. Now I have contacted our sister companies and I am working with them to raise more money for the 2 girls and their families. While I cannot replace their sentimental items I hope that whatever I can help raise, will help them start over.

Just another example of what I have seen in these forums....All you guys are really great.

Maybe it's all the fresh air - Caching for me has opened my eyes as I have visited places I have known for years, but seen new things.

[Also a THANK YOU to someone here that has sent me an email today and made me personally very happy - I really appreciate your gift - Thanks]

First: Happy Birthday scavok!

Second: I'm a big Tolkien fan and have always loved that poem in the "Fellowship of the Ring." In fact jrr is shortened from my first nickname which was jrrNOTtolkien.

As for a random act of kindness story, this is the reason I originally got a Paypal account. Years ago I was a moderator of a small forum (back then I think we still called it a board). That board, much like this place, had a sense of community. When one of the active posters was diagnosed there was a great desire to help her out. While she did have health insurance, she was self employed. She didn't not want to take time off after her surgery, even though her doctors were recommending she take at least month to recover.

After many secret PMs, everyone wanted to raise some money for her. And since I was scheduled to visit the city where she lived (and am a doctor) I got nominated to actually present her with the funds. Since board members were scattered across the country, I had to get a Paypal account to keep track of all the money. Naturally donations of $5, $20, even $50 started coming in. Then one day there was another $2000 dollars in the account. Turned out a couple (both of whom posted on the board) were scheduled to attend some big fancy dress up gala fund raiser (with celebrities and every thing). They decided instead of attending they would donate the money to the board's breast cancer fund. They also swore me to secrecy about the amount they had contributed. In the end more than 100 folks contributed, but that couple's contribution amounted to half the check I eventually presented.

Now that I've written all that, not sure the act of kindness was totally "random" but seems in the spirit of the thread.

jrr

I just love the Lord of the Rings movies myself. In fact, yrs ago my uncle gave me a set of the books when I was a teenager. My parents probably still have the set in storage at their house. Anyway, talking about great acts of kindness in this forum. I've got a great one! We have not been very active members of this forum very long, maybe around a yr? When I first started posting in here, we posted that one of our Most Desired coins was a 2007 Compass Rose. Well, not too long afterwards we got an email from glenn721 who said that he had seen our post and wanted to send us the coin and would we send our address? I was a little unsure of how things worked in here and was a little hesitant to give out our address but told him I would in this case. He wrote back and said he understood my hesitation and made me feel comfortable posting in the forums and meeting so many more great people. Well, a few days later we received the coin in the mail and I thought it was the most beautiful coin I've ever seen and still do because it is the first act of kindness shown to us through this great community and if it were not for that act of kindness I probably would not be posting and meeting so many great and selfless people here. THANK YOU SO MUCH GLENN FOR MAKING OUR INTRODUCTION INTO THIS FORUM SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE :P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCAVOK!!!!!!...Mines commin soon!

As far as random acts of kindness...if my buddies and the people I have fixed their beater rigs for while I drive a pile of crap could talk right now!!! :P

But I have seen so much kindness here in this community to last a lifetime!!!! The people here are truly great and blessed with all the other great people here...thats why I have stuck around so long! :unsure:

I just heard recently of a guy who has set up a small crew of helper to clean up the homeless camps that have been left behind by transients who occupied the river banks of a local river, posing serious threats to the enviroment of the river. They have cleaned up a whole slew of abandoned camps, packing out as much as several pick up loads of trash, polution and even pheces from any one of these camps! Without them when the river raised it would of washed everything down stream to litter and contaminate hundreds of miles of river along the way.

I was touched at this guys efforts and wish there was more people like him out there!

I belong to several forum for lots of different things. However, one group's whole mission is an act of kindness with the participants thanking, not wanting thanks.

The Patriot Guard Riders were established about 2 years ago in response to a Kansas church protesting at military funerals. Five bikers, thinking that this wasn't right and something should be done, gathered some friends and US flags to show that service member's family that some people in the US care. They stood between the protesters and the family so the family never saw the protesters. The Patriot Guard Riders was born.

Today, there are over 100,000 "riders" in all 50 states and several other countries. "Riders" don't necessarily ride a motorcycle and it doesn't matter. "Riders" don't have to be pro-war or anti-war or anything. We don't look at political agendas and they stay out of the mission. There is no critera to be a member of the Patriot Guard except to care and be willing to show respect to our service members and their families.

Many of the riders will travel hundreds of miles, ride in horrible weather and stand for long periods of time. They take off work, rearrange schedules and donate time and money. They show up if there are protesters and when there aren't. Any time a family asks for the Patriot Guard, members will show up. Every member is a volunteer and expects nothing. For us, it is an honor to be asked; it is an honor to some how in some small way help a grieving family.

With the increase in membership, the mission has also increased though the primary mission has remained the same. Other missions which the Guard participates in are: welcome home-units and individuals, send offs, raising money for military families in need, helping to renovate houses for wounded service members, and anything that they see needing to be done for our service members, veterans and their families. This is done strictly by volunteers and by donations. The Patriot Guard does NOT have dues or other fees.

To me, these "riders" show acts of kindness when needed most. I probably didn't do a great job of explaining so if you want a better explanation go to their website at www.patriotguard.org

Terri

Congrats to the winners and Happy belated birthday, Scavok!

I wanted to share this story, not as a bid to win a coin. It's just something that happened the other day that just about broke my heart and I wanted to share it because I know there are a lot of very kind people here and this story fits the thread.

I work at a Christian book store and am constantly amazed at the situations of people who come into our store. One evening last week an older lady (had to be at least 80, i'm guessing) came in and I asked her if there was anything I could help her find. She seemed kind of grumpy so I just gave her my best smile and told her to let me know if she wanted me to show her anything. She was in the store about an hour or so and I didn't want to pester her so I left her alone. I was a little scared of the grumpiness.

When she came to check out, she gave me a birthday coupon, so I wished her a happy birthday. Tears welled up in her eyes and she said that was the only birthday wish she had gotten all day. Then she started talking about her family being separated and no one keeping in contact anymore. I asked her how many children she has. She answered two, but she has no idea where either one of them lives. She said her daughter won't return her calls. At this point, we are both in tears and she says to me "I know this is probably dumb, but would you mind singing happy birthday to me? Nobody else will." So I sang happy birthday to her and didn't notice the other customers staring until after. Her name was Liviana and I told her she had a beautiful name. If anyone here is a praying person, could you remember Liviana? thanks. :unsure:

I belong to several forum for lots of different things. However, one group's whole mission is an act of kindness with the participants thanking, not wanting thanks.

The Patriot Guard Riders were established about 2 years ago in response to a Kansas church protesting at military funerals. Five bikers, thinking that this wasn't right and something should be done, gathered some friends and US flags to show that service member's family that some people in the US care. They stood between the protesters and the family so the family never saw the protesters. The Patriot Guard Riders was born.

Today, there are over 100,000 "riders" in all 50 states and several other countries. "Riders" don't necessarily ride a motorcycle and it doesn't matter. "Riders" don't have to be pro-war or anti-war or anything. We don't look at political agendas and they stay out of the mission. There is no critera to be a member of the Patriot Guard except to care and be willing to show respect to our service members and their families.

Many of the riders will travel hundreds of miles, ride in horrible weather and stand for long periods of time. They take off work, rearrange schedules and donate time and money. They show up if there are protesters and when there aren't. Any time a family asks for the Patriot Guard, members will show up. Every member is a volunteer and expects nothing. For us, it is an honor to be asked; it is an honor to some how in some small way help a grieving family.

With the increase in membership, the mission has also increased though the primary mission has remained the same. Other missions which the Guard participates in are: welcome home-units and individuals, send offs, raising money for military families in need, helping to renovate houses for wounded service members, and anything that they see needing to be done for our service members, veterans and their families. This is done strictly by volunteers and by donations. The Patriot Guard does NOT have dues or other fees.

To me, these "riders" show acts of kindness when needed most. I probably didn't do a great job of explaining so if you want a better explanation go to their website at www.patriotguard.org

Terri

:laughing:

I beleive in These "Patriot Guard" :antenna: