Winter caching

Monterry

Can anyone tell me what makes a cache Winter accessible.

We have placed caches in the Winter only to have complaints from some? cachers that they are not Winter friendly.

We do cache in the Winter and expect to have to deal with snow and digging. Other than placing caches indoor during Winter, what is the solution?

We have placed caches in the Winter only to have complaints from some? cachers that they are not Winter friendly.

We do cache in the Winter and expect to have to deal with snow and digging. Other than placing caches indoor during Winter, what is the solution?

You might want to take a look at two recent threads in the New England forum:

What does the winter accessible attribute really mean - 2007

Looking for caches that can be found in snow, Northeast Massachusetts in particular

To me, if a cache page has the Available in Winter icon (snowflake), this would mean to me that the cache could be reasonably found, without extraordinary measures, during the typical Winter conditions for the location. If the cache probably requires snowshoes and an ice pick during the Winter, then that to me would not be "Winter Available". But everyone seems to have their own definition.

If it is located in the PHoenix metro area.

Went to Colorado on vacation......wow.....snow really does put a damper on things. Guess I never really thought of it until then...... :)

To some people, available in winter means it would NOT be covered with large amounts of snow. I mean, if covered in snow mean it's still available in the winter, what would that icon really be used for.......caches in lakes?

I'd say that winter accessible means that there is a reasonable probability that it can be found with snow on the ground. Sp caches off the ground in trees, hollow stumps, small caves would qualify.

How much snow? Whatever the normal snowfall for that area is. I mean if you get a 10 foot dump, all bets are off.

2 of our caches are hanging in trees, very winter friendly to find however one would require snowshoes, skis or a snowmobile to get to. Not a problem for active outdoorsy types. We have one in a tree stump that is about 3 feet off the ground, again easy to find but the hike is gonna take snowshoes. When you live in the north you just have to deal with some snow!

Well, I see your caches are generally way up Algonquin way! And many are micros. If you have any micros on the ground, and there is 6" or more of snow on the ground, I'd say they'd be practically impossibe to find. On a caching trip just after Christmas, I had DNF's on two ammo boxes due to snow, both of which were placed in the spring/summer of '07, and sound like super easy finds from previous logs.

So yeah, I'd say off the ground, nooks in trees, hanging in trees, that sort of thing. Although if you read that thread in the New England forum, there was quite a bit of banter back and forth, and no real consensus. :)

I live in Maine and have just started Caching. In the snow! I have no idea how much easier it is in the two months of summer we have. I can't wait! I have found as well as hid caches in the snow. I think from now on I will enter winter difficulty ratings in my Cache log. IE (Summer: 1.5/2.5) If on ground hide but can get there without snow shoes (2.5/2.5) If cache is up above ground but need snow shoes (1.5/3.5) This is just an example but maybe Groundspeak can address this.

Being in Minnesota I love winter caching. No bugs! I will look for caches even if not listed as winter friendly just like some of us did yesterday. But a truly winter friendly cache would not be a cache that does not require you to do a lot, if any digging in snow. It is pretty time consuming to dig in the snow in a 10-20 foot radius to find a cache in the woods. Not that I won't try it. :laughing: