GPS - what to consider when buying?

Moo-who

I am new to this Geocache activity and am looking what to look for in a GPS to enable me to update co-ordinates out in the field (multi-stage caches).

I am not looking for anything flash or expensive, basic will do so i can get started and have some fun while out walking.

Can anybody advise?

Cheers

I am new to this Geocache activity and am looking what to look for in a GPS to enable me to update co-ordinates out in the field (multi-stage caches).

I am not looking for anything flash or expensive, basic will do so i can get started and have some fun while out walking.

Can anybody advise?

Cheers

As other stated above, almost any GPSr you buy will allow this via Mark -> edit coords.

You'll probably be happier with a unit that will hook up to a computer, so you don't have to do ALL your coords this way. I've got a Legend and a friend has a Gecko, and I see how frustrated he gets when he has to punch in every single freakin' waypoint.

Everything else is just gravy. High sensitivity receiver is nice, but not necessary, ditto for maps, color, etc. The main thing is how it works for YOU. I really don't like my Legend's click-stick, especially when in the car or riding my bike. Loads of people love that form factor and are willing to live with the click stick. Narrow your choices and go somewhere that sells those models, and play with 'em in person. That way you'll know whether you like it before you part with the cash.

• Connectivity to the computer is a must. And, I highly recommend that be with USB, instead of with the Serial Port.

• Color is very nice because it is much easier to read.

• A mapping unit, with maps installed, is recommended because it gives you some additional guidance for getting to the cache.

• A GPS unit that can auto-route you to the cache is a real time, and gas saver.

If you start with a basic unit, you might find yourself wanting to upgrade within a few months, which means spending more money. That is what happened to me . . . :)

For Geocaching you definitely want to buy a unit that's rated for outdoor use, not one of those cheap touchscreen automotive models that are getting so popular. Most of those don't have a compas rose screen and are too delicate to be used while hiking in the woods