Rate the Difficulty of this Cache

StumpWater

I've seen the occasional thread like this, but thought I'd try to start up a single spot where hiders can ask for kibitzing on their cache difficulty ratings.

I'll start off with a recent hid of mine, a micro, that I've asigned a "3" difficulty rating and "2" on terrain. I have some feedback that it might be a "2" difficulty, some feedback that it might be a "3.5". It's not far off of a not-difficult trail maybe 1/2 mile from the listed parking coordinates.

Here are two pics ... whadayathink? (If you know the cache, please don't name it as these pics would certainly be spoilers.)

The hide spot:

hidespot.jpg

Close up view:

closeup.jpg

It's set a bit down in the hole, but not too far. Hole is maybe 4' high, so no climbing (for most seekers, anyway).

Thanks for the input.

StumpWater

Edited by StumpWater

Terrain would depend on not just the length of the hike, but steepness of the terrain and quality of the trail. I'll assume a decent trail and put the terrain at 2.

Difficulty on that one would probably be a 2.0 to 3.0, probably closer to 2.0. It could probably be found within 5-10 minutes.

I used the Clayjar system, and it came up with a 1/2 rating.

I had to make a couple of presumptions about the cache and the trail:

I chose terrain is "Basically flat. Only slight elevation changes. Easy to do in a wheelchair, stroller, bike, etc." and "Cache is in plain sight or location is fairly obvious." If the cords are good, that would certainly be true and anyone except the most novice cacher hould be able to find it in less than a minute.

If you up the terrain to the next choice (Some elevation changes. Changes are slight enough that someone could ride a bike up such a slope.) and make the difficulty just the next hardest (Cache could be in one of several locations. Hunter may have to look for a while.) the Clayjar system says it's a 2/2.5

Personally, I'd probably call it a 1.5 for difficulty if there were several nearby trees (as it appears there may be in the photo). You are probably the better judge of the terrain, but if the path is that short, wide and well maintained and doesn't have much in the way of elevation change, I wouldn't call it over a 2, just so I wouldn't scare anyone away.

That would probably be the first place I'd look, so I'd say a 1.5 difficulty, or maybe a 2 max.

Not knowing what the terrain is like between the parking and cache it's hard to judge, but assuming the terrain basically what I see in the photo for the entire walk, I'd rate it as a 1.5

Ditto. If it were fake bark or something like that it would merit a 3.

I did this cache yesterday. I would rate it a 2/2.

D: Lots of oddly shaped trees and gaps in other trees, quite a target rich environment, plus a slope and chain link fence within range from people suffering from high EPE, which will happen in the summer. lots of pine trees up there too. Co-ords were OK though for me.

T: It's on a mountain bike trail wich is actually pretty technical in places. Certainly not a flat 1.5 terrain by foot.

You had a MUCH harder one in the series of caches, which I think had a lower difficulty than this one :D

Hint is a giveaway, but I personally assume the ratings are hint-independent.

Edited by Maingray